EU USB sticks for the new Zigbee component

You may want to try one of these:

https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/en/cel/ZM357S-USB/ZM357S-USB-ND/4477124
https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/en/silicon-labs/ETRX357USB-LRS/920-1014-ND/5423731

1 Like

Thanks! Are those confirmed to work with the new component?

No, I donā€™t know anyone who has tried them

I am looking for this as well with the new support for Zigbee. Since the Z-Wave frequency in Europe is different than in the US, 868 instead of 908 in the US. The only supported stick would be useless for the Z-Wave part.

So how can we know if a stick is likely to work? Is it based on a chipset, API or a type of radio? Do you have some pointers we can look for or ask the vendor when we search for a compatible zigbee stick?

edit: Based on the info on github think it is the EZSP protocol it needs to support, right?

Been looking around a bit for other sticks based on the silabs radio and these are the ones I found until now in addition to those linked earlier by russel:

1 Like

Iā€™m looking at similar.

I just found the other topic. :slight_smile:

@wmn79 - based on chipset. Anything with the EM3xx chips should work (specifically, the firmware should support EZSP version 4), and you need a serial device exposed.

1 Like

I can confirm that the ETRX357USB-LRS+8M can be flashed with an appropriate EZSP firmware without the use of any programming hardware.

So, without any guarantees (you might -but probably wonā€™t- brick your device), hereā€™s how:

1. Download the firmware. I used some random blob someone put on github that at least seemed to have the right name. What could possibly go wrong, right? :smile: https://github.com/yqyunjie/Zigbee-Project/blob/master/firmware/EmberZNet/EM35x-EZSP/build/em35x-ezsp-images/EM357/em357-ncp-uart-xon-xoff-use-with-serial-uart-bl-500.ebl?raw=true

2. (Install USB-to-serial drivers for the device. Linux will load the driver automatically when you plug in; not sure about other OSes.)

3. Install a serial port communication app that supports X-MODEM. (debian/ubuntu: sudo apt-get install minicom) Run it and configure it (sudo minicom -s) to use the fake serial port (/dev/ttyUSB0) at 19200 baud 8N1. Disable both hardware (RTS/CTS) and software (XON/XOFF) flow control.

4. Type ā€˜ATā€™ , you should get OK in response. Now type ā€˜AT+BLOADā€™ . The device will reboot into the bootloader.

5. Change the baud rate in the serial port communication app setting to 115200 baud. (exit minicom using CTRL-A Q, run ā€˜sudo minicom -sā€™ again)

6. Pressing enter in the terminal should now show you a three-option boot loader menu. Choose option 1.

7. ā€˜Cā€™ characters will start showing. Donā€™t wait for this to finish, but start an X-MODEM upload of the firmware you downloaded earlier (use CTRL-A S in minicom). You have 60 seconds to start the upload.

8. After the upload finished, you should return to the menu. Now select option 2, to reboot into the new firmware. Youā€™re done.

Enjoy!

6 Likes

Does this mean that the ETRX357 zigbee stick then works properly with the HASS? Or is this just that you can update the firmware with out the programmer?

Hi,

I am using the ETRX357USB-LRS with HA and am able to control a hue bulb. I can not get HA to work with ligtify bulbs or the hue dimmer, however not sure if this is because of HA/Bellows or the ETRX357USB-LRS.

Thanks,
Nichol

Any updates on ETRX357USB-LRS or other Zigbee USB-adapters sold in the EU in combination with HASS?

Do I dare to purchase this one yet as a non-developer and (normally) what I would call a non-Linux user? Iā€™m technical but on a day-today basis Iā€™ used to only work on Windows and with different black-box systems (computer-appliances).

Personally I would prefer to find a plug-and-play Zigbee USB-dongle that ā€˜just worksā€™ out-of-the-box with HASS.

The ETRX357USB-LRS works fine for me after flashing the alternative firmware as described above. But I would not suggest doing this if you feel unfamiliar with a Linux terminal.
A colleague tried the Bitronvideo Zigbee stick originally designed for the Qivicon base. It worked out of the box and is on sale for 25-30 ā‚¬ in Germany. Maybe take a look at that one?

3 Likes

I got the Bitronvideo stick. Can confirm ZHA and bellows can somewhat communicate with the stick but Iā€™m not able to control my tradfri bulbs.

@h3ndrik - please can I ask what you are running your Bitronvideo stick on, and how you installed it?

I have not had much luck getting it to work with a Pi

I just bought the bitronvideo AV2010/10 stick (i suppose there is only one(?)) a few hours before i wrote, so iā€™m not an expert. Iā€™m running the stick on a regular linux-computer. Havenā€™t tried to change the stock firmware. But if the serial communication with the usb stick works it should be the same on a Pi.

What I did:
Had a look at dmesg to verify there is a /dev/ttyUSB0 and added this to my configuration.yaml:

logger:
  default: debug
zha:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0
  database_path: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/zigbee.db

(database_path has to be absolute)

Flicked the switch of the tradfri bulb six times, observed a short flash, put it close to the usb stick,
went to services in the home-assistant UI and did a zha permit

I can see all kinds of debug messages where zha obviosly talks to the stick. Mixed with final error messages. And I can see some rows in the zigbee.db table for a tradfri bulb.

After that ā€“ nothing shows up in HA. Trying to pair the remote (press connect 4 times in 5 seconds) gives similar results.

Thatā€™s my current status. My hypothesis is: The usb stick could be okay and the supplied firmware talks ezsp but there are tradfri related (or general) problems in the underlying library(?)

Iā€™m currently fiddling with bellows. But I canā€™t tell if the light bulb sucessfully joined (despite the error messages) or not. Canā€™t read or write attributes. But at least I can sniff the communication with the ikea gateway with the ā€˜dumpā€™ command.
Maybe there, someone with more knowledge about zigbee can tell us what the problem is.

Thanks. On my Pi I donā€™t even see anything appear in /dev when I plug it in :frowning:

I have a z-wave stick, which I have identified as /dev/ttyACM0, and I wonder whether I inadvertently changed something critical when I was trying to install that ā€¦

To summarise:

• I can see the stick in dmesg when I insert it

[ 81.097057] usb 1-1.3: new full-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
    [ 81.244773] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=10c4, idProduct=89fb
    [ 81.244787] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 81.244795] usb 1-1.3: Product: Qivicon ZigBee Device
    [ 81.244803] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Silicon Labs
    [ 81.244811] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 000001B9

• lsusb shows it exists as device 6

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 10c4:89fb Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0658:0200 Sigma Designs, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

• I have a z-wave stick at /dev/ttyACM0 and a usb/serial port I use for lighting at /dev/ttyUSB0 but canā€™t find any dev port for the zigbee stick. (There are no other ttyACM* or ttyUSB* entries)

Any thoughts gratefully received! Then maybe I can try and catch you up

Having read a bit more (eg here), my suspicion is that I will need to change the firmware on the stick to make it usable.

Ah.

Yeah, that seems to be a different usb stick. My USB Stick has has ā€œbitronvideoā€ on the front and ā€œAV2010/10 // ZigBee USB Radio Stickā€ written on the back. But Iā€™d not recommend buying this one until itā€™s confirmed workingā€¦
If you have a different one, different instructions apply. Maybe you have to flash a different firmware. Maybe itā€™s unsupported.

dmesg:

[37551.725035] usb 1-4: new full-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
[37551.874753] usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=10c4, idProduct=8b34
[37551.874760] usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[37551.874768] usb 1-4: Product: BV 2010/10
[37551.874773] usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Silicon Labs
[37551.874777] usb 1-4: SerialNumber: 013752B3
[37551.877255] cp210x 1-4:1.0: cp210x converter detected
[37551.878741] usb 1-4: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Hmm - I seem to have bought an older version. The one I ordered sounds like yours (here), but the one that was delivered is plain white on one side and has a serial no, ā€œQIVICAN ZigBee Stickā€ and a UK address on the other.

Put this one down to experience, I think.

The QIVICON stick in the amazon link is the wrong one. The Qivicon-ones dont work. See:

and:
https://forum.fhem.de/index.php?topic=35743.0

Mine (bought in a telekom store across the street as part of the set ā€œMagenta Smarthome FUNKSTICK ZigBee & USB-HUBā€ for 29,99ā‚¬):
http://www.bitronvideo.eu/index.php/produkte/smart-home-produkte/zb-funkstick/