Failure To Launch - New Install of Hassio

Newbie here… Trying to launch my first install of HASSIO on a Raspberry Pi 3 b+. Followed instructions as listed on HA website. Using USB stick to load network WiFi settings and again followed steps exactly as described. Text appearing on screen as HASSIO boots is as follow:

Startign USB…
USB0: scanning bus 0 for devices… 7 USB Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
switch to partition #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1…
Found U-Boot script /boot.scr
2281 bytes read in 2 ms (1.1 MiB/s)

Executing script at 02400000

switch to partiions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
loading env…

MMC read: dev # 0, block # 1214464, count 32 … 32 blocks read: OK
Found valid slot A, 0 attempts remaining
storing env…

MMC write: dev # 0, block # 1214464, count 32 … wait_transfer_complete - still waiting after 100001 retries
MMC write failed
0 block written: ERROR
Loading kernel
WARNING at drivers/mmc/bcm2835_sdhost.c:376/bcm2835_prepare_data()!
WARNING at drivers/mmc/bcm2835_sdhost.c:408/bcm2835_prepare_data()!
*** ERROR: Can’t read MBR header ***
part_get_info_efi: *** ERROR: Inalid GPT ***
*** ERROR: Can’t read MBR header ***
part_get_info_efi: *** ERROR: Inalid Backup GPT ***
** Invlaid partition 4 **
Starting kernel
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!
resetting …

I’ve tried to reformat MMC card and tried to download both the 32 and 64-bit version of HASSIO for my HW platform. I don’t know Linux well at all, but am learning… Any assistance would be greatly appreciated…

Use SD Formatter to format the card. If that does not work it appears the SD card is failing.
Either that or you could download the image again to rule out a bad download.

Thanks for the direction @anon34565116. I should have mentioned that I already tried using SD Formatter and have also downloaded images several times, both 32 and 64 bit. I was hoping it wasn’t the SD card as it is a brand new Kingston 64GB class 10 card that has never been previously used. I’ll try another MMC.

1 Like

Hopefully it was just a corrupt download then.

Did you solve this? I’m having the exact same failure.

1 Like

It was in fact a bad (albeit new) SD card. Replaced the card and was able to load Hass.io.

1 Like

I have 2 SD cards that happily run raspbian and openhabian… yet they will not boot with 32 or 64 bit hass.io. Why is this such a problem?

1 Like

@derek,
When you reuse the card, do you use SD Formatter first as recommended by the Pi people?

If you must use Hassio, I think Hassio on Raspbian Lite would be more reliable anyway.

In this order I’d check the following

1. Bad SD card. Substitute for another unused card preferably.

2. Problem with card reader/writer. They wear too and can cause image writing problems. Try a different card reader/writer if possible.

3. Problem with imaging software. There’s a number of options like Etcher, Win32discimage etc. Search and try alternatives. Also try a lower capacity card to write your image to.

4. Bad image download. If you’ve tried downloading a number of times with the same results, try a different download source.

I suggest all the above before digging any deeper.

I have tried with and without SD Formatter - still the same result.
What’s annoying is that Raspbian Stretch boots fine - just simply burning the image with Etcher.

I don’t have another SD card so I will look at installing HA ‘by hand’.

1 Like

The lower capacity SD card would probably solve your problem but if you think you can install manually happy days.

Make sure you have a healthy supply of SD cards. HA tends to chew through them :joy:

OK, so here is how you can install Hassio on Raspbian Lite. It is a combo of their Linux install along with the command listed elsewhere to work on the Pi. Raspbian Lite is 32 bit.

$ sudo -i
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade -y
# apt-get install software-properties-common
# apt-get install -y apparmor-utils apt-transport-https avahi-daemon ca-certificates curl dbus jq network-manager socat
# curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh
# curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi3

Running docker on raspberry pi seems overly complex (for a mere mortal like myself…).
So, I installed it directly onto Raspbian - I’m tracking the process and issues here:

https://opensmart.me/howto-install-home-assistant-on-raspbian/

Any reason you did not use the official manual install in a Python venv? The venv isolates Home Assistant from the OS updating Python or any modules. It adds no overhead except a little extra disk space used.

1 Like

@anon34565116 Thanks for the pointer.

I’m still getting my head around the various terms

• hassio / hass.io
  • hassOs
  • homeassistant

After my experience with SD card I thought I had to find a different option to hass.io

For new prospects, the journey from Getting Started goes to https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/. From there, is no navigation to https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/ - so I just missed it. :man_facepalming:

When I do a rebuild - as I inevitably will - I’ll go with venv.

Since so many people mention SD Card issues, and since I had a spare laptop SSD, I bought a USB case and now have a 240GB SSD as the boot device on my Pi :smiley:

lol, now you’re just showing off…! :slightly_smiling_face:
do you have any problems powering the USB SSD from the rpi?

I have had no problems but, I understand not all cases work. I got lucky, I guess. Here is what I bought.