Feature request: block supervisor auto-updates

This entire FR is about being able to stop supervisor from auto-updating. So, supervisor? But also none of the other stuff you listed auto-updates so I’m confused by your question.

Or are you asking when it arrives in the UI? If so the answer is it doesn’t. There’s no UI toggle, its in the cli.

ha supervisor options --auto-update=false

Btw for anyone looking to do this, two important notes:

1. If supervisor is out of date then all updates are blocked. Core, OS, addons, none of it can be updated while supervisor is out of date. You also cannot install new addons or add new addon repositories. Something to be aware of
  2. Only the latest version of supervisor is supported. Your system will be treated as unsupported for purpose of issues while supervisor is out of date.
6 Likes

Yes, and I was commenting about things. Sorry I shoudn’t have in this thread. Thank you very much for the command and seems to have set it.

Yes that’s what my question was aiming at. Got it. Also good to read the two (quite big/important) downsides of disabling auto-updates for the supervisor.

3 Likes

Trying again…

WTH can’t I take control on when to update Supervisor? - Month of “What the heck?!” - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

You can. The solution is literally 3 posts before yours.

1 Like

I’ve tried that, but it still auto_update attribute is set to true even after a restart.
Am I missing anything?

Oh. That’s just a bug. That’s metadata, it doesn’t do anything. It’s hard-coded to true from when supervisor always auto-updated:

Supervisor manages its own updates. As long as ha supervisor info says auto update is false then its not auto-updating.

Can you submit a bug to core about that to track it though?

3 Likes

Done!

Supervisor update entity is not reporting the right status for auto_update attribute · Issue #79555 · home-assistant/core (github.com)

1 Like

Wow! That was fast!

This issue was fixed with 2022.10.0.

1 Like

Short: Has anything changed regarding those facts and statements?
@CentralCommand

Long:
As I ran into a (at the end minor, but a bit time-consuming though) issue caused by the auto-update to 2024.1.1 (the delay of 24 hours did not help in my case) yesterday, I’m thinking of disabling Supervisor auto updates.

Basically I like the approach to plan ANY updates, meaning to have a bit spare time in case something breaks (and yes, that happens more often than we all like). Cause if something breaks when you’re on the go or even away for a longer time with no possibilty to remotely fix stuff… always a tough lesson. Supervisor is literally the last component in my personal HA ecosystem with auto-updates enabled.

Then just disable it. You just need to update supervisor before you can update anything else.