Firmware updates?

@petro
In regard to your comment Home Assistant is a volunteer based system. This could be argued as a yes and no comment. It is open source and a lot of people voluntarily contribute to it, but there is a significant core staff of paid employees in Nabu Case now that work on Home Assistamt.
I know, I am being pedantic :slight_smile:
That said, I agree with your sentiments on it. I am looking forward to OTA Firmware becoming a part of the core Zwave JS integration.
@Edwin_D
There are a few manufacturers who refuse to give out their firmware files. In that case we are a little bit stuck. For people with devices from companies that will not supply firmware files, maybe we should name these companies so people can be aware. Maybe enough noise about it will make them change their mind and release the files. :slight_smile:

It’s coming next release. A volunteer decided to add it.

2 Likes

That is a lot sooner than I expected to be honest. That is quite amazing news because it is one of the few features still missing from what is otherwise a very well implemented Z-Wave integration.

Ok, I’ll repeat it then :slight_smile: For those making choices on what equipment to buy, it is relevant to know that Fibaro refuses to hand out firmware update files. They force you to use their Smart Home controller to update devices OTA. So if you want to update the firmware, you are forced to exclude the device from HA and find some one with a Homecenter (lite) to do it for you. There’s also no way that I’m aware of to find out if newer firmware exists and why. Release notes seem to revolve around Homecenter itself.

Jasco use to be very bad at handing out firmware, but I think they may have softened slightly after Linus from Linus Tech Tips called them out on it

But, on the other side, Fibaro’s products are of very high quality and mostly work fine with original firmware. Mention worthy.

After almost two years with Fibaro products in my home I never had any issue, that has to be solved with firmware update.

So buy or not to buy? If it’s on me, it’s still a YES.

But one of the main reason for firmware updates, besides stability, is security. If you were aiming for stability alone, you’d never update any your devices because unexpected things may break. But wise people still do. I’ve got a lot of stable Fibaro stuff too, but I’m not so confident they are secure. And I didn’t see Fibaro retrofitting S2 security either.

Fair point too… :wink:

Fibaro dual switches have a bug where Australian (and maybe others) switches sometimes don’t register and you have to turn them off and on again. They denied this was even possible originally, but then issued a fix. But you need a Home Centre to get the fix…

1 Like

Don’t buy. I have some modules that I can throw in the bin, because I can’t update.

I strongly advice anyone NOT to buy from Fibaro, unless there is no choice/alternative. Their modules are also cheap quality. For example the screws are simply too weak and often break. I also had many modules fail because of small inductive loads. Even Aqara modules are better built.

Sorry for the rant but this did cost me too much time and money.

I have a number of Fibaro devices (mostly motion sensors). I’m very happy with them. They’re excellent built quality (light years ahead of the cheap Aqara stuff), very long battery life (2+ years), highly configurable and very reliable. All on the original FW.

1 Like

Well I have Fibaro motion sensors as well but they occasionally report wrong sensor values which is a known bug. But yeah I could at least bugfix it. Sometime they also false trigger, which is really bad.

Not sure if you ever saw an Aqara door sensor or a relais in person but they are much better and faster. Battery life is over two years as well. Philips Hue motion sensors are much faster than Fibaros with great build quality.

But yes, I like the design of the Fibaro sensors as well, but that’s it.

The Fibaro Implant is also a nice module, but if I can get an alternative I will.

Seriously they expect people to send them hundred of devices by mail and reinterview them after Fibaro has updated the firmware. It’s 2022!

And what would that bug be ? Because they’re working fine here, without any wrong values…

All PIRs do. The Fibaro ones false trigger very very rarely. Like maybe once or twice a year. Usually due to involvement of a spider or bug crawling over them.

Oh yes I did. Thankfully not on my system. With all due respect, I consider these things complete trash. But if they work for you, all good :slight_smile: The time delays of the Fibaro’s are entirely customizable btw.

1 Like

The false triggers are software based. Seems like they report Lux as motion or Lux as temperature. Not sure if they finally fixed that.

If they false trigger they never get back to no motion unless they finally detect motion. Which makes sense, if it is a bug.

Are we both talking about those:

Fibaro dual switches have a bug whereby they intermittently do not register the switch. You then have to turn the switch back off and on again for it to work. I’m presuming only some countries, eg maybe 240V, as it’s not everyone but it’s certainly widespread and widely known.

Fibaro initially insisted this was impossible - that the switch simply toggles the relay and there is no way it can’t fail to register, but then eventually acknowledged the problem and issued a firmware fix… oh sorry, I mean a fix for HomeCenter users. Everyone else can go jump.

So I await the day that the metric crapload of them I have throughout my home die so I can justify replacing them.

Interestingly Fibaro did say at one point they were interested in working with HomeSeer to provide firmware updates, but that was during HST’s stubborn phase (sorry I mean MORE stubborn than their usual stubborn) and they weren’t interested. They’ve changed stance on that now but I think the boat has sailed? But if Fibaro were finally willing to work with someone then perhaps there is hope… probably not before I ditch my Fibaro dual switches.

Never experienced or even heard about these issues. I have one of these in almost every room. Most of them for years. You sure the problem is not on your side ? Bug in the driver (unstable zwavejs version), in your automations, etc.

I had this issue with different home automation implementations over years. Now I don’t report Illumination and I haven’t received any false motions again. Might be related.

The new update of zwavejs will let us update zwave device firmware. But like mentioned fibaro does not support to download it.
I got some fgs223 with 3.2 and some with 3.3

Isn’t there a whizzkid who can extract/upload the firmware from the v3.3 device?

Nope, not possible. I stopped buying Fibaro because of this.

2 Likes

Just to come back at this theme:

Because HA finally supports OTA updates on ZwaveJS, I’ve contacted Qubino for firmware files for my 16A Power plugs, got response within 24 hours with files attached and successfully updated the plugs.

Just wanted to let you know… :wink:

3 Likes