First time to home assistant

Looking to set up an Android device Install Home Assistant cannot find no info on how to actually load it on a android tablet if anyone can point me in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Do you really want your HA server to be an android device?

For most people, the server is a Raspberry Pi or something similar and the Android tablet is just the front end - you can access the server with a normal browser or download the companion app from Google Play.

If you do want to run Home Assistant on Android there’s a thread about it here (although it’s more than a year old):

Read the comments - a lot of people seem to think it’s a bad idea.

2 Likes

The reason you can’t easily find info is because it is an unsupported and experimental method that rarely provides a stable, usable experience.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response yes I have seen the Raspberry Pi insulation but I’m looking to go down the Android Tablet route to have a physical display on the wall.

you can still have a tablet on the wall with Home Assistant on a Raspberry pi. can use any browser/ tablet on the wall. I run a Raspberry pi for HS and a raspberry pi in Kiosk.

1 Like

Hiya welcome to the forum.
The actual brains of home assistant runs as a server and needs a platform that stays powered up on your network all the time, it doesn’t even need a display attached to it when it’s running.
Some use a pi, or old pc, or tiny pc. Once this is done, the server allows multiple phones, tablets or computers to gain access to the dashboards via webpages or the apps
I have old android and fire tablets actings as permanent dashboards in my house.
I hope that clears up some of the terminology. If you are thinking of an old pc, using haos is very easy to do for inexperienced users as I was

2 Likes

ok that makes more sense so if I get it open running on a PC or a raspberry pi then can get it up and running on tablet ?

Yes, that’s right. Once it’s running you connect entirely through web pages or apps.
I know it can be overwhelming for beginners, but the home assistant page is a good start with all instructions.
I chose a small pc with a hard drive on eBay as it was quite cheap and had good storage with it. Did not take too much power as this device is on 24/7. But use what you are comfortable with. HA have the yellow that is available to buy and preloaded I think.
I used home assistant OS from a USB stick following the instructions and it was fine.

My tablets run kiosk that point to the url of the ha server. This is not mandatory, but makes the experience nicer in the long run.

If you are trying to connect to anything other than wifi/network, then you may need to add usb antennas for zigbee or zwave.

Read the websites and work out a plan rather than rush in and be disappointed.

1 Like

Thanks for some good advice there and yes there is one on eBay £300 Home Assistant Yellow with Raspberry Pi CM4108032 :dizzy_face:

You install the software on a pc that functions as the server, being always on/connected and runs automations, gathers information from sensors, …

From your pc/laptop/tablet/phone, you connect to that server instance to display a dashboard from which you can see the status of your smart home and control devices manually - if needed.
Running the server software from a tablet is experimental (so not supported), not advised to do so, especially if you’re new to HA (Home Assistant)

1 Like

Thanks for that info :+1:

I think that is a sly supply and demand thing as there out of stock many places.
If you’re UK based, checkout out the stockist here.

The green is another option if that works for you, or a cheap tiny pc. My Lenovo thinkcenter pc from eBay was like £60 and is more than capable

I then bought the sky connect for about £30 to support any zigbee devices I added to the system. It runs cheap at around 6watts to 7watts and is very quiet, other tiny pc are available

1 Like

Looking at the Dell Wyse 5070.

Cool. Many post out there with the support

Do your homework, look at what type of devices you are trying to control, where you plan to go and check out if there are integrations available for what you are trying to do. Have fun.

1 Like

Nice one Roxy have an great week :+1:

Wrong terminology. Home Assistant is basically a web server. Mine is running on an Intel NUC in my basement, but I access it on any computer, or phone that can run a web browser.

If you buy a micro PC to run Home Assistant, try first to install Linux. If it will run Linux then it will run Home Assistant. The easiest way to install Home Assistant is by simply flashing the HAOS image to the micro-PC boot device.

1 Like

I am grateful for your valuable insight and other contributors to my post. :wink:

Be aware that if you are going to use STT/TTS or do something with security cams, you need some cpu power.
I know, there is a lot to consider when starting this journey but you might regret hasty decisions because once you have automated some/a lot, and starting over/switching can result in stress for yourself/unhappy co-residents.

Take your time and start slow instead of going all the way immediately.
HA can be a steep learning curve but don’t let you discourage by that.

1 Like