Friendly name editing in Lovelace UI

The Lovelace UI is fantastic but one quibble I have is not being able to edit the friendly names of entities while in configuration mode. It’s a hassle to have to switch to the Customize page to have to do this. It’d be nice if you could at least customize friendly names in the “Card Configuration” pane once you’ve selected an Entity. Even better if in the “Card configuration” pane, next to each Entity in the Entities you could have a drop down selection list of an Entity’s attributes and a text input to enter your own value, e.g.:

Entities

switch.my_switch x ↓ Friendly Name x ↓ My_Friendly_Name

I think we can do that now.

For this card:

I click on the icon and get this

Clicking the gear in the upper right gives me this.

Isn’t this what you are asking for?

2 Likes

I don’t have those customization options when I click on the entity in normal mode or config mode. Did you add custom html to all of your cards to do that?

I can edit friendly names when entities are in a top-level card but not if they are in cards embedded within vertical or horizontal cards.

That card was created by the automatic UI… That was in the regular mode on the overview screen. Here is what it looks like in the raw editor

- entities:
        - light.aeotec_zw098_led_bulb_level
      show_header_toggle: false
      title: Light
      type: entities

Are you in development mode or running a development build? I’m on version 88.2, and I can only change the friendly name when I click on the top-right gear icon after clicking on an entity.

Nope.

Yay for consistency!

This switch works the same way for me. I am on version 0.88.2 using Hassio.

- entities:
      - switch.front_porch
    show_header_toggle: false
    title: Switch
    type: entities

Thanks for indulging this newbie. I was confused because you have the Brightness control element and additional metadata for your Aeotec bulb in your entity card but I didn’t see anything for my Aeotec shutter. Re-read the Lovelace documentation and I see I can display that with the service and secondary_info tags.

I am VERY new here too. I have been running/learing in a VirtualBox VM on my laptop.
Tonight I get to start work on a Raspberry Pi for this, I hope.

Hello,

I do not have that option (hassio latest version) - the gear in the upper right.
What can be wrong, Where should I check?
Thanks

That option is only available for platforms that provided an unique ID in the code.

OK, how do I get to upgrade/update my hassio to support this? I really do not know this and I would like to have this feature instead of going all the time to Customization

You don’t.

This is something that needs to be done in the platform code.
example: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/blob/55997c74b05c078d23412505c77d6a43015cb5ff/homeassistant/components/plaato/sensor.py#L75-L78

My issue is I use to have the capability to edit friendly names from upper right corner of entities (42 ). Now it is gone for some entities, not sure why.
Example:
This one has:
This one, not:

You can always use the Entity Register to edit friendly names.

True, Entity Register or Customization works fine - but still it is an unknown for me why I can directly edit some sensors from Lovelace and some not

I told you that here https://community.home-assistant.io/t/friendly-name-editing-in-lovelace-ui/103716/12?u=ludeeus and here https://community.home-assistant.io/t/friendly-name-editing-in-lovelace-ui/103716/14?u=ludeeus

Did not get it, sorry.
If you look at the above pictures you’ll see two sensors, both battery type (not plaato), first having the capability to directly edit the Friendly name and second one not.
You are saying that I HA is not assigning unique ID to the second one and this is why the gear is missing?

Correct, the first one is from the ios integration, that has added logic for unique IDs, I’m not sure where the second comes from but since it does not have that icon, there is no logic to create unique IDs for that platforms.

Thanks a lot. Now it make sense and I know where to look.
The second one it is a Fibaro Zwave Flood sensor integrated with HA using Aeon Labs stick.
Regards,