Fronius Wattpilot

Hi @mk-maddin Martin,
thanks a lot for this great integration.
Actually I’m trying to setup a “PV-Überschuss” automation with Nodered and HA on my own. It works really well.
The only thing I’m struggling with is that after hitting the button “Wattpilot Stop charging” I can’t restart charging neither from HA / NodeRed nor the official Wattpilot APP without physically unplugging my car. Also tried enabling of “Wattpilot Simulate Unplugging” but same behavior.
Do you have an idea how I could trigger the simulate unplugging from NodeRed or HA? I think that could solve my problem.
Thanks a lot for you input.
Best regards,
Stefan

Hey,

first please note the “simulate unplugging” option is nothing that can be triggered on demand/on need by yourself.
It’s a general behavior setting of the wattpilot charging box - you enable it and wattpilot automatically simulates an unplug after every charging cycle. You disable it and wattpilot does not do the corresponding automatically after every charging cycle.

I am not sure if you are using the PV Surplus (“PV-Überschuss”) implementation of Fronius or if you are using a self designed one as your Inverter is not compatible with wattpilot.
If you are not using the Fronius out of the box solution, I assume you start/stop the charging by using the corresponding button entities within home assistant / the big round button within the Wattpilot App.
Something I have found on Mini Cooper SE, Dacia Spring & Hyundai Tucson E-Hybrid (the cars I have available for testing) is that after I stopped the charging “manually” (either trough the HA button using an automation or lovelace frontend button OR through the wattpilot App), is that my Cars do sometimes no longer accept the charging request of the Wattpilot.
I then have to “manually” (again either through HA automation/frontend or corresponding App) request the charging by the car App/Integratoin (NOT Wattpilot App). Only then the car accepts the charging.

My workaround was simply to start the wattpilot side of charging in an automation, wait around 30 sec.,
check if the “sensor.wattpilot_charging_energy” is higher than 100W and if not trigger the charging by the car implemenation again.

Hi Martin,

thanks for your reply.

Yes I´m using a self designed version with NodeRed hence my inverter is not compatible. Phase switching and current adjustment works really great with my Tesla model Y.

Starting and stopping via NodeRed or Homeassistant button is actually a little bit the problem. I’ll try your advices this weekend and report you afterwards.

Hi Martin,

I changed now to start/stop charging directly from the cars integration instead from the Wattpilot and it works!

Hey guys,

i have been trying this integration out an love that there is someone bringing this to HA!

I have 2 Questions.

1. Is it normal that the integration only can be reloaded when the wattpilot is connected to the car? I am getting this error Code:
 Logger: custom_components.wattpilot
Source: custom_components/wattpilot/__init__.py:63
Integration: Fronius Wattpilot (documentation)
First occurred: 16:27:50 (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 16:34:57
b7841220197cb0f57244bc14fb7da37f - async_setup_entry: Timeout - charger not connected: False (15 sec)
  1. Is the entity “wattpilot_charging_energy” the one that shows the currently used charging power? When my car is full it stops at the last used power (e.g 2300W) and does not go back to 0. Am i using the wrong entity here?

Thank you in advance for helping!

Moet

Hey,

Is it normal that the integration only can be reloaded when the wattpilot is connected to the car?

The error message you receive “charger not connected” means the charger cannot be connected from Home Assistant side - some (but not all) possible reasons are that your wifi is not strong enough, you already have a lot of incorrectly closed sessions open on your wattpilot (aka it would need a restart), you simply entered a wrong IP Address for the wattpilor or network somwhere between HA ↔ Wattpilot is incorrect.

Is the entity “wattpilot_charging_energy” the one that shows the currently used charging power?

Yes, sensor.wattpilot_charging_energy is the over all (all phases) current energy. It is updated via push from wattpilot - so not on any specific frequency or something like this.

At least the three wattpilot instances I am using (11KW Wattpilot V1, 11KW Wattpilot V2 & 22KW Wattpilot V2) on any of three electrical cars (Dacia Spring, Hyunday Tucson, Mini CooperS) reset to 0 charging energy value after the car is fully charged.

How does the official Wattpilott app behave? Does it show a current energy value after your car stopped charging? ( not only the big roudn value but additionally the in the lower part of the app screen)
An additional option is that as already said your wifi is not very strong and the charger cannot update it’s latest HA status due to timeouts…

As often the reason seemsd to be very easy.
The FI-switch triggered and rendered the Wattpilot out of energy… It is a known issue with my Ioniq 5, even when it was the first time in about 6 weeks…
I dont know why app and HA still showed values event when it was clearly “not possible”.

Thank you for your response, i will try to test as soon as possible.

I was researching some other issues and came across the entry for my wattpilot in core.config_entries and noticed that the password for the wattpilot is stored in there in plain text.
While not being very well-versed in IT security I am fairly certain that this is not a recommended solution. I opened an issue on github to raise awareness.

Thanks for reporting - as I can see you already opened a github issue for this some seconds previously to this post.

There is no need to address the same topics within multiple channels.

As described in github I am taking your request seriously and awaiting more details about your described case as password storage is done using predefined HA functions a lot of other integrations are using, too.

Maybe have a read here Storage of encrypted passwords in homeassistant configuration file · home-assistant/architecture · Discussion #556 · GitHub

1 Like

Hi Martin,
HA 2023.8.0 seems to have turned up an error. After the update, I’m getting …

2023-08-03 14:53:45.986 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.button] Ignoring invalid device info: Invalid device info {‘default_manufacturer’: ‘fronius’, ‘default_model’: ‘wattpilot_V2’, ‘default_name’: ‘Wattpilot_9100xxxx’, ‘hw_version’: ‘22 KW’, ‘identifiers’: {(‘wattpilot’, ‘9100xxxx’)}, ‘sw_version’: ‘39.6’} for ‘wattpilot’ config entry: device info needs to either describe a device, link to existing device or provide extra information.

Everything seems to be working ok, as it was with 2023.7.3 - just the error in the log.

Hi,

thanks for reporting.
Do you receive this error only once (only for ‘homeassistant.components.button’ component) or multiple times (with multiple homeassistant.components.XYZ components) ?

5 separate groups of identical error message (ie all components.button) occurring 4, 7, 8, 10 & 22 times - all at startup & no subsequent errors in the log. All have the same time to the nearest second (2:53:46PM) although the timestamps vary of course.

Logger: homeassistant.components.select
Source: helpers/entity_platform.py:624
Integration: Select (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 2:53:46 PM (8 occurrences)
Last logged: 2:53:46 PM

Hi Martin
After update to 2023.8.0 i have the same errors like @bernieq

Wattpilot - lot: _async_update_validate_platform_state failed: state None not within options_id values: {0: ‘Static’, 1: ‘Dynamic’}
10:08:00 - (BUGS) Fronius Wattpilot (custom integration) - message first appeared 09:53:30 and repeated 30 times
Wattpilot - lot: _async_update_validate_property failed: please specific the ‘value_id’ to use as state value
10:08:00 - (BUGS) Fronius Wattpilot (custom integration) - message first appeared 09:53:30 and repeated 30 times
Unable to use state. Only numerical states are supported, entity sensor.wattpilot_id_chip_1 with value unknown excluded from calculation
09:53:01 - (WARNINGS) Group - message first appeared 09:53:01 and repeated 5 times
Ignoring invalid device info: Invalid device info {‘default_manufacturer’: ‘fronius’, ‘default_model’: ‘wattpilot’, ‘default_name’: ‘Wattpilot_33052241’, ‘hw_version’: ‘22 KW’, ‘identifiers’: {('wattpilot ', ‘33052241’)}, ‘sw_version’: ‘39.6’} for ‘wattpilot’ config entry: device info needs to either describe a device, link to existing device or provide extra information.
09:53:00 - (BUGS) Sensor - message first appeared 09:53:00 and repeated 32 times
Ignoring invalid device info: Invalid device info {‘default_manufacturer’: ‘fronius’, ‘default_model’: ‘wattpilot’, ‘default_name’: ‘Wattpilot_33052241’, ‘hw_version’: ‘22 KW’, ‘identifiers’: {('wattpilot ', ‘33052241’)}, ‘sw_version’: ‘39.6’} for ‘wattpilot’ config entry: device info needs to either describe a device, link to existing device or provide extra information.
09:53:00 - (BUGS) Switch - message first appeared 09:53:00 and repeated 10 times
09:53:00 - (BUGS) Selector - message first appeared 09:53:00 and repeated 8 times
09:53:00 - (BUGS) Number - message first appeared 09:53:00 and repeated 7 times
09:53:00 - (BUGS) Button - the message appeared for the first time at 09:53:00 and repeated 4 times

The number of repetitions of these two mistakes increases every 30 seconds on average

Wattpilot - lot: _async_update_validate_platform_state failed: state None not within options_id values: {0: ‘Static’, 1: ‘Dynamic’}
10:17:00 - (BUGS) Fronius Wattpilot (custom integration) - message appeared for the first time 09:53:30 and repeated 48 times
Wattpilot - lot: _async_update_validate_property failed: please specific the ‘value_id’ to use as state value
10:17:00 - (BUGS) Fronius Wattpilot (custom integration) - message appeared for the first time 09:53:30 and repeated 48 times

@mk-maddin - if you need some more info feel free.

@mk-maddin , when you will prepare changes for this bugs please change energy states classes for ID chips and totally charged to state_class: total_increasing, because without it, the energy counters are not summed properly from one of the last HA update.

I just got the Wattpilot integration to start without any apparent issues and am now wondering how to monitor the power and energy consumed by the Wattpilot. Are there sensors for that? I see 19 entities but none of them contain the actual charging power or the charged energy for the day or since plugging in.
Am I missing something?

Looks like I just was not patient enough. Meanwhile I am seeing 61 entities and also some which should satisfy my curiosity.

Should be fixed with 0.1.8 release.
Thanks are to dev help on discord - would have searched hours for this minor thing without them.

Thank you greatly - recopied, restarted & log is error-free.

BTW, I first just copied down the two files shown as updated (manifest.json & entities.py) but, on restart, the integration was not found - are there other files that have changed?

Anyway, fixed by doing a full download.
(edit to correct file extension)