Fused Switch

Does anyone know of a smart fused switch?

My switch is switching a circuit which contains a 13A socket and 2 x outdoor lights, and would like to get a smart switch for the main one, so I can control the whole circuit, I’m not bothered about controlling the individual lights.

You mean you have a fused spur that in turn is connected to a regular switch?

Is it powering a high power appliance?

yes a fused spur and no, 2 x led lights

Maybe leave manual fuse and add junction box with smart switch controlling circuits?

That’s an idea, putting a smart switch after the fused switch. the reason i’ve not been thinking like that is i’m not that savvy with electrics, and don’t know how to access the output from the fused spur, and not sure I wanna pay a sparky to come out for such a small task for him.

in which case, could you help me choose what switch/relay would be best to come after the fused spur switch?

I am thinking along the lines of Lightwave RF inline relays (I think you can get multiple relays) or fibaro ones. please note I have NO SMART kit at all, so the hub is a moot point as I could (and realise I would need to) purchase one .

Maybe use smart LED lights? (Hue or tradfi)

some bulbs are gx53 which don’t seem to be manufactued by any smart manufacturers :frowning:

Check Alibaba. They may have something but beware. Cheap product with no UL rating is risky! (Cheap Wall switch is ok because backed up by breaker…breaker fail and you get fire)

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1627253910/FDR8-wifi-circuit-breaker-smart-circuit.html?spm=a2706.7843667.1998817009.22.T0kifC

1 Like

thanks but I don’t think i’m brave enough to try that. I’m guessing my only option is Sonoff style smart switches on the other side of the Fused Switch (i.e. one per outdoor light)

Fused Switch Wifi (UK)

Found this just now, might be a little late but thought I’d post it

1 Like

thank you! you’re not late because I have yet to make a move for that switch.

The other thought I had was to ignore the fused switch and have that set to permanently on, then to replace my traditional double switch with a Xiaomi Aqara double switch. similar price to what you’ve found though.

Have you used the one you’ve linked before?

I haven’t got any fused spurs in my house believe it or not! I’d love to see if it was Home Assistant integrate-able though

I just happen to see it when looking at switches that didn’t require a neutral wire. I’ve ordered one Energenie, need to wait for my Sonoff RF Bridge from China though to test in HA :frowning:

tbh i’ve shelved HA since I posted, I love the idea of it but find it very technical and a resource drain. With 2 kids it’s hard to take on/add more time consuming services. I can really see why Smart things and the “supposed turn key” automation vendors make money. however it’s just good enough for the likes of you and I!

Sorry to hear you’ve shelved HA, I’ve just started with it and like the look of it all.

I have that switch. It works fairly well but there is no integration that I can see with other services (Not Google, Amazon, IFTTT nor Apple home). It’s a shame as it’s the only smart fused spur that I have found. Everything goes through Timeguards servers.

I’m happy to do some analysis if that would be helpful, but I probably lack the skills to write a new module.

2 Likes

I was just looking for a Wireless spur switch and found the same one. I’ve sent a request to the vendor to confirm integration options.

And they just replied to confirm that there is no inegration with any other solutions. How annoying.

I wonder what hardware’s inside? If the wifi chip is something like an ESP8266 then it can be easily integrated just by flashing it with different firmware.

I just installed the FSTWIFI WiFi Controlled Fused Spur Time Switch and I am noticing some electrical noise such as coil whine on some computers, some noise on USB chargers, etc. I can easily hear the noise from around 50-60cm and I still hear it very softly up to 2 meters far. I read one similar complaint among the 167 comments about the item on Amazon UK so I wonder if it is just some of the units that make this noise or all of them make the noise. Anyone with this device hears electrical noise coming out from it?

For the happy owners of FSTWIFI or NTTWIFI: please take a look at GitHub - andrey-yantsen/timeguard-mqtt. It’s a python-service that intersects the switch’s traffic and converts it to MQTT messages, and it benefits from the HA’s auto-discovery. To get this working, though, you will need to tinker with your router settings a little.
I’m already using this for two weeks, enabling the Boost every day via HA, and everything works smoothly. Unfortunately, the protocol used by the switch is not open, and I had to reverse-engineer it, so I can’t provide any guarantees that it will always work or it will not break your switch when you try to control it via mqtt.

If you give it a try, please share your experience and share the captured binary data as described in the How to help section of the readme. I only have one NTTWIFI, and I need more data for future improvements.

I have a question on this before I buy one, can Home Assistant turn the switch on and off through this? If so, it would solve my problem quite neatly!

Sorry, missed the notification.

Yes, it can, but as I said initially — no guarantees here; I have only one device to test it with.

1 Like