Garbage reminder

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc40719c5f8> #<Tag:0x00007fc40719c508> #<Tag:0x00007fc40719c440>

Get garbage notifications from up to 4 sensors. You will receive 1 notification with the friendly names of the sensors (comma separated) that have a matching date. The sensors should have a date formatted yyyy-mm-dd. Works out of the box with integrations like TwenteMilieu but can even be used for anything else that needs reminder notifications based on sensors with a date as state value.

A date offset, combined with an input for notification time is added so you can be notified on the garbage collection date (0) or any amount of days before.

I added a text input for the notifier so you can use all notification channels. Currently you have to select a value for all 4 sensors because there is no user friendly solution for this at the moment until there are multiselect entity inputs. As a workaround set the value to a sensor that has a non-date type string value when you have less than 4 sensors.

Blueprint

Click the badge to import this Blueprint: (needs Home Assistant Core 2021.3 or higher)

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

Or import this Blueprint by using the forum topic URL:

blueprint:
  name: Garbage reminder
  domain: automation
  input:
    reminder_time:
      name: Reminder time
      description: At what time the day before do you want to be reminded
      selector:
        time: {}
    day_offset:
      name: Day offset
      description: Amount of days to be added to the triggers date to check for sensor
        value matches. E.g. 1 to be notified the day before or 0 for notification
        on the garbage collection day.
      default: 1
    reminder_title:
      name: Reminder title
      description: Shown as title in the notification
      default: Garbage reminder
    reminder_message:
      name: Reminder message
      description: Accompanying text in the notification
      default: 'The following garbage will be picked up tomorrow: '
    notifier:
      name: Notifier
      description: Name of integration you prefer to use for notifications. E.g. notify.notify
      default: notify.notify
    garbage_sensor_1:
      name: Garbage sensor 1
      description: Sensor should have a value like YYYY-MM-DD
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: sensor
    garbage_sensor_2:
      name: Garbage sensor 2
      selector:
        entity:
    garbage_sensor_3:
      name: Garbage sensor 3
      selector:
        entity:
    garbage_sensor_4:
      name: Garbage sensor 4
      selector:
        entity:

variables:
  garbage_sensor_1: !input 'garbage_sensor_1'
  garbage_sensor_2: !input 'garbage_sensor_2'
  garbage_sensor_3: !input 'garbage_sensor_3'
  garbage_sensor_4: !input 'garbage_sensor_4'
  reminder_title: !input 'reminder_title'
  reminder_message: !input 'reminder_message'
  day_offset: !input 'day_offset'
  sensors_tomorrow: '{{ [(state_attr(garbage_sensor_1, ''friendly_name''), states(garbage_sensor_1)), (state_attr(garbage_sensor_2, ''friendly_name''), states(garbage_sensor_2)), (state_attr(garbage_sensor_3, ''friendly_name''), states(garbage_sensor_3)), (state_attr(garbage_sensor_4, ''friendly_name''), states(garbage_sensor_4))] | selectattr(''1'', ''eq'', (now() + timedelta(days = day_offset | int)).strftime(''%Y-%m-%d'')) | join('', '',  attribute=0) }}'
trigger:
  platform: time
  at: !input 'reminder_time'
condition:
  condition: template
  value_template: "{{ sensors_tomorrow != '' }}"
action:
  service: !input 'notifier'
  data:
    title: '{{ reminder_title }}'
2 Likes

What do you think, should I call it:

a) Garbage reminder
b) Trash reminder
c) Waste reminder

My wife says:

So, I am gonna have to say garbage

2 Likes

Great that you created a blueprint for this. I use the Twentemilieu integration myself so could use it out-of-the-box.

In the blueprint it says the following:
Amount of days to be added to the triggers date to check for sensor value matches. E.g. 1 to be notified the day before or 0 for notification on the garbage collection day.

I just don’t see this reflected anywhere in the blueprint and if I make it an automation I get a message every day at the set time. Am i missing something or is there a trigger option missing?

it’s in the timedelta of variable sensors_tomorrow. So with that it calculates a day to match the sensor values against.

Also I updated the blueprint a bit, there was a bug that caused notifications to appear every day even when there is no garbage to be picked up.

1 Like

What type of sensor (contact?) do you use? What does the sensor track?

The sensors are fed from a garbage collection integration that fetches the collection dates for various types of garbage from an API. So no hardware sensors here to measure amounts of garbage etc.

In my case, I only use one sensor and it throws up an error

EDIT: It’s mentioned in the post what the solution is