Goodbye Tasmota

Goodbye Tasmota my old friend. You have served me well but the mighty ESP HOME has kicked you out of my house.

Took a while to change everything over but such a satisfying event. Big thanks to the ESPHome team for an amazing project and evolution. Worth every cent of my nabu cassa sub.

If you have not done it, look if its right for you.

12 Likes

Never say, goodbye bro

why break what is not broken

I run Tasmota on light switches only cause they have not working

but also run ESPhome on

What about the List of what you did

1 Like

Migrated 40 odd devices to ESPH. Besides the solution being more integrated into HA. The biggest attraction for me was the encryption and HTTPS.

*Ikea Air Quality in each room
*ESPCAMs
*Geiger Counter
*Smoke Detectors
*16ch Energy monitoring
*Light Switches
*Power points
*Pumps
*IR control Aircons etc

All the good stuff.

4 Likes

Indeed! Migrating my last Tasmota over to esphome and turning off the mqtt about 3 years ago was by far the best day in my “home assistant career”! :rocket:

I felt pretty much the same a while ago, but there are things tasmota does better than ESPHome. I went back to tasmota with my xiaomi BT thermometers - i have esp32 programmed for them and tasmota work better and more reliable than esphome. Ok, this was some 5-6 months ago, i didn’t check later if esphome has done anthing in this regard (any feedback welcome)
Don’t get me wrong… i like esphome over tasmota, too, because it’s way more flexible - you can program almost anything you want (ok, anything you KNOW how to do it…), while in tasmota you’re pretty much stuck with “default” preprogrammed stuff. So all my devices have esphome, too. Esphome has done a lot in last year or so and become really powerfull tool. Anything i buy i immediately change FW to esphome, if possible (tuya, shelly, sonoff…)

You might want to elaborate (maybe in a new thread) what’s “better” (or what you are missing esphome)? I’m running like over 10 of these little xiaomi ble thingies together with esphome and have :zero: problems :thinking:

I’m looking forward that pr 3333 gets merged so it’s than actually possible to “write” on the display from esphome :muscle:

I actually only buy stuff that runs esphome :rocket:

4 Likes

Well, you could also ask not keeping your gas-guzzler when you got yourself a ev? Because it takes extra maintenance :warning: Specially Tasmota has a history of often not making updates to easily and well, for esphome it is essentially one click and it doesn’t matter if you want to update :one: esphome node or :one::zero::zero:. Besides all Systems have breaking changes esphome detects them before doing the ota update so nothing will break :muscle:

4 Likes

What is it that has so many people against MQTT?

3 Likes

I’ve had (too) frequent drop-outs with esphome, requiring rebooting esp32 (with power cycle). Module was going offline for no reason… (unavailable, and not reachable to ping). First i thought that problem is chinese esp32, that’s why i also tried with tasmota and …voila! No problems…
Tasmota does drop out sometimes, but not so often - it can happen, say, once a week at most , while with esphome it happenned daily. Since i have tasmota setup to auto-reboot if wifi connection drops it’s not a problem. I’ve read those days that the cause for dropouts are bad arduino drivers for BT, which esphome uses. Tasmota doesn’t use arduino drivers, as far as i know and here’s it’s advantage. Supposely this will be corrected with esphome going to esp-idf platform, but i don’t follow it so i couldn’t tell if anything was done in this direction. I guess i’ll have to configure a second esp32 parallel with tasmota and see…

Otherwise i prefer esphome’s communication over mqtt. Don’t ask me why… i guess it’s easier to work with esphome’s sensors than configure each and every mqtt sensor in HA’s configuration and rebooting whole HA each time to see changes…

Maybe you want to ask the question differently like:

What makes a modern approach better than the 23 year old MQTT :sauropod:

• Much more efficient: ESPHome encodes all messages in a highly optimized format with protocol buffers - for example binary sensor state messages are about 1/10 of the size.
  • One-click configuration: ESPHome just needs one click to set up in Home Assistant - no more messing around with retained MQTT discovery messages and alike.
  • One less single point of failure: In the ESPHome native API each ESP is its own server. With MQTT, when the broker shuts off nothing can communicate anymore.
  • Stability: Since ESPHome has far more control over the protocol than with MQTT, it’s really easy for us to roll out stability improvements.
  • Low Latency: The native API is optimized for very low latency, usually this is only a couple of milliseconds and far less than can be noticed by the eye.

:point_right: Native API Component — ESPHome

Specially the (always working) “one-click setup” is a probably a dream for every mqtt user out there. And well, I was one of them and I can tell it just takes too much time in average to get things working with mqtt (or debugging retain message etc.). In the time I got one esp working 5 years ago with mqtt I would deploy 10 (more) esphome nodes today :tada:

8 Likes

That’s a peculiar reason given that the two technologies don’t have the same design goals.

One was designed to provide an efficient, universal means of sharing data and the other for programming devices and communicating with them exclusively by Home Assistant.

If one needs to promote ESPHOME’s advantages, one can simply say it was designed to efficiently integrate hardware devices with Home Assistant so it stands to reason it’s optimized for that sole purpose.

MQTT continues to be an efficient means of sharing data among disparate devices and that’s why it has been adopted by virtually all software applications related to home automation. Nevertheless, if one only needs to integrate a device with Home Assistant, then ESPHOME is a bespoke option.

13 Likes

My two cents. I like esphome for sensors, but if it controls anything still prefer tasmota (I even have one thing still on espurna). Integrated Alexa makes me happy. Having to add alexa support by adding a configruation.yaml setting does not feel elegant. It would be nice to be an onboard option like tasmota.

Well, that’s not quite correct. Beside it is ha focused (under the same roof of nabu casa :house:) it also works with other platforms (for example iobroker) too. Pure to the fact the thing is open source it will be already very hard to have it “exclusive” for home assistant :wink:
People following the esphome discord will also know that a lot of people build stuff around esphome without ha and using the native api for there purposes.

That’s true and there is nothing wrong with it.

But I guess it is like with cars, once you get used to benefits like a automatic starter, servo steering and brakes, remote unlock & lock and various other “goodies” which are all not necessary to run the thing but just makes your life so much more comfortable. After you tried the “new standard” you never want that oldtimer again (for every day use at least :stuck_out_tongue:) because you value all the benefits you came to know :star2:

3 Likes

Others are free to adopt it but the project is controlled by the development team at Nabu Casa and their primary goal is to make it work best for Home Assistant. They won’t have qualms about making changes that negatively impact iobroker’s users or anyone else who adopts it.

Other open-source projects operate the same way. For example, some while ago, the Tasmota project chose to deprecate support for Home Assistant’s MQTT Discovery and implement their own MQTT-based discovery protocol (emontnemery created the Tasmota integration to accomodate this change). You can still choose between the two (it defaults to Tasmota’s own discovery method) but the Tasmota project is one or two versions away from removing the deprecated code from its compiled release versions. Anyone still relying on Home Assistant’s MQTT Discovery will be obligated to switch to Tasmota’s discovery method (or compile a custom version of the firmware containing the deprecated code).

I use any solution. Tasmota, ESPHome etc

I giveup the idea of Only Tasmota or ESPHome

4 Likes

Sounds like a good time to try out esphome then and might stick with it when it fits :wink:

I’m really grateful for Theo bringing us Sonoff-Tasmota (now Tasmota) as it was clearly the beginning to open the whole esp ecosystem. Maybe without him Otto would have never invented esphome!

But for the same reason I choose Home Assistant over any other solution I also choose esphome over any other solution. Afaik there is simply nothing comparable out there which gives so much freedom but at the same time the maximum “output” with the minimum input possible.

And well, it’s not only down to the fact that with esphome you can avoid mqtt completely (which is just 100% win for me because I don’t waste any time here!) but also about the whole architecture.

Tasmota still tries (and somewhat still succeeds) with one (actually last time I looked there were over 100) pre-compiled binaries to “rule them all”. At the same time space is rare since always and so it comes that not all configurations are actually accessible in the menu but hidden in different corners. Some things nneed special commands in the command line or some stuff even needs to manually compiled upfront to get it working.

Actually I think this is also a “weak point” of tasmota. Many users stay on old (or very old) tasmota versions because it “ain’t broken”.

But the saying “never touch a running system” is actually dangerous for connected devices like esp’s.

Every now and then there is still users out there running a ota exploitable tasmota versions like 6 or 7 just because it “works” and they know (had) the pain of updates going south already.

Why is it bad to don’t give users the easiest way updating like we are used from computers or phone (known as ota update)? Because then they will not update and over time start to have vulnerable devices. It’s enough that manufactures often give a :poop: about updates but if someone takes control over a device (replacing the stock firmware) it is also the responsible to keep it up2date.

And well, here is esphome superior in probably every aspect and it’s down to a ota “one-click-update” (for all devices at once).

As I have also gained like 2 years experience with tasmota, espeasy, espurna (my favorite before esphome btw.) and more I can say that updates on this systems were often a hit and miss. Sometimes parts of the configuration got lost, some times the update was to big so two updates were needed, some times everything looked fine but the device behaved differently like before - I know all these pains and hours wasted just to get the working state from before! My last device I migrated over from tasmota to esphome were one I didn’t update with intention because I had so much pain with the update before and I was just so fed up wasting so much for a (in theory) simple update.

Since I moved to esphome I just had :zero: updates which went wrong and if there was a breaking change (which lies in the nature of actively developed systems) I actually get the information before it updates the esphome node. This year I think I had :one: update which didn’t work because of a breaking change - and guess what, the error message actually just tells you what to do to make the update work, one line in the yaml edited, saved and update flys :rocket:

I can imagen that on tasmota things would just fail silently, the sensor would stop working, need to do some research in the end a reset of the device and completely new configuration would have been the way… 1 hour wasted just to get what I had before!

I stay with esphome :wink:

6 Likes

Well, i can tell about one example where i can’t see how i’d do in tasmota:
i open my (yard) automatic gates via HA and esphome module. The (minor) problem of gate electronics is that at power failure door state is unknown when power comes back, which is kinda logical, since they don’t have any end switches. So i programmed esphome module in a way that at boot gates open for 1 sec and close again. That way i always know status of gates.
Supposely there is (or will be…?) a way with some scripts in tasmota, but… :sob:

BTW…regarding my “complaints” against esphome and xiaomi’s: i just set-up another esp32 for receiving xiaomi BT modules with esphome. I used esp-idf framework instead arduino, since now it works with “normal” esp32 boards, too (some months ago it only worked with C3/Sx versions). Now it’s a waiting game…

1 Like

why update a switch its ON or OFF

my every first Tasmota is the Sonoff basic its still running 5.10.0b

never done any its a on/off switch

and

if ESPhome had been around for as long as Tasmota is they would have the same problem.

We, humans, are the problem we leant how to put MORE into smaller Spaces and want more in that space.

1 Like

Because it’s not just a switch but a IP connected device you have in your network :warning:

Well, you are a perfect example for users running insecure firmware :point_down:

Plainly spoken someone from outside your home (but within wifi range) can take over your Tasmota device (because it has security vulnerabilities), dumb the firmware and extract your wifi password. The person then essentially is inside your house network and can do as he please like infecting other systems watching you on your own camers (if you have some) or just playing master of disaster. :hammer:

Like said before:

And this is so bad. What you would need is dumb on/off switch and not a smart one!

Dumb switch:tm: (Live time updates included :registered:)

No, because they have a completely different approach. Tasmota (tries) to pack everything (also mainly the stuff you don’t need) into the pre-build binaries. Esphome on the other side crafts a custom binary for each and every device which is build from a “recipe” (yaml) and it only contains the stuff you want/need and nothing else.

Well, totally unnecessary if you ask me… Your switch has lot’s of code you never use. It’s like always carrying around a big bag :baggage_claim: with lot’s of stuff and you never use it…

If you have the time to manage it all that’s nice. But if you are like be and don’t bother with stuff already deployed and rather go all in on new projects.

I like my homogen system with soon 100 esphome nodes combined with ha because it’s a ease to manage/update and I have the whole configuration in one place. I don’t need to spend or waste time on stuff that would be “edge cases” in tasmota for example which would need scripts or manual compiling and stuff. Also the system is just rock solid (which is different to the tasmota I came to know that sometimes “looses” it’s memory :brain::no_entry_sign:) because everything is “burned” into the firmware and there is no volatile settings. Also esphome makes it obsolete to check proactively for beaking changes which is mandatory for other systems like tasmota before the update otherwise things go south quickly…

But well, we are all free to choose and there are (luckily) viable options so everybody can do as he please (but please keep your devices up2date even can be a pita on some systems!)

1 Like