Google Assistant Setup Issue - "Could not update the setting. Please check your connection"

Yes its loaded ok.
Relevant log entries when trying to setup can be found in my earlier post above.

OK.
I found one more thing to investigate.

I use IPSET to whitelist countries allowed to access my network. Google have data centres all over the world.
Need to rethink my security before changing this.

If you have removed the root user and use a certificate, not password, to do SSL, I can’t see why you couldn’t disable geo-blocking, at least temporarily.

for me its was the wrong fullfilment url, i had :8123 in that but i use nginx, so i had to remove that, after i had to disable the testing app and enable it again in the simulator

Hello Timmy - your suggestion fixed my issue. The “Could not update the setting. Please check your connection” error was driving me nuts. It all started when I did the “OK Google, sync my devices”. I abandoned the original google project - following suggestions in many different threads - but none of the new projects I created worked. Making sure the /pai/google_assistant was added fixed it for me. THANK YOU

For any future travelers - my root cause for having this error ended up being the number of devices I was exposing manually in my configuration via the ‘entity_config’ param in the google_assistant configuration. Once I exceeded 20 devices - the handshake/linking would fail. At this time, I’m unsure if subsequent resyncs would have this issue - it may just be a limitation of the initial handshake/linkage.

I was using the entity_config to map devices to rooms directly - that way it wouldn’t need to be done manually after having to re-initiate the test app simulation in the cloud console every 30 days. I added one device which put me at 21 - and everything went to hell after that and I ended up going down an update rabbit hole before I realized the root cause.

After upgrading my server to .88 - and upgrading my google actions to the latest OAUTH settings - I then ran into the error about the action being invalid - and having to use the gactions.exe commands and json modification outlined here.

Once I got the google actions test published to my account again - I was able to then begin break-testing and found it was the number of published devices in that part of my config. Reducing it to 19 made everything work again.

I have used this integration for many many months now but never had to do this, not sure that is required.

its a normal behaviour, the test app in actions site of google is only valid for 30 days, then testing is disabled, and you need to enable it manally again, each 30 days

1 Like

following up on this, this issue started this weekend, as well on google assistant component, and also on HA cloud edition (nabu casa), as soon you have more then 20 entitues in the config, then link/sync doesnt work anymore

root cause at this time is yet unknown

Are you not blaming rooms now?

not sure what i need to blame , uncommenting rooms fixes linking, but still it all doesnt work correctly like before, i have my 62 devices back, but still not able to control each light/switch like before

if i say the same thing as before, google response, i dont know how to help you with that, i dont have a clue anymore

Mine is working 100% normally. I also note that I have more than 20 devices with rooms exposed…

Seems you are indeed one of the verry few…
Not sure what cause is…it’s not only rooms…
Maybe a combination, I also noticed some of the aliasses are not working anymore… Maybe is country/assistant language specific

Also @DavidFW1960 , can you make me a screenshot of how your scenes look like in the home app? Are the actually visible / clickable like a normal light/switch?

I posted all those screenshots above… No I can only activate by voice commands.

Yes , I indeed saw a scene tab, but do you also see them, the ones that you expose? That was not in your screenshot…

That’s why I think a scene is not like an actual switch/light device, so it doesn’t count in the 20

Same as you expose a script

Sorry @DavidFW1960 I missed that screenshot, now I see your scenes indeed,. Yes they are actually not a device, you have devices and scenes, if I look at your config, you are not exposing more then 20 devices from HA , in total you have indeed more, when scenes are included

I did a count of everything in a previous post. Those shots are from the Home Control option basically in Google Assistant App. In the Google Home App front page I can control all lights, switches and input_booleans… there’s no scenes on that control page…

Thats why I think you don’t have the issue…

I am going to try script/scenes also, but I have a question about it… what voice control do you need to say to run a script/scene? Do you always need to say the word “activate” ? So let’s say, you have a scene called “test” do you need to say “activate” or do you always need to say “activate test”. This is verry important for me…

To turn on a switch in Google you don’t have to say the word “on” just saying the name of the switch is enough…

So what I did, I have lots of screens/covers, it makes no sense to say the word on/off but I want to say open/close… So for every cover I created two switches , I named them : screen open and screen close…

So I can just say : “screen open” and it triggers the “on” condition…
So I want to drop those switches, and make scripts of them

Activate xxxxxxx but I use routines so I don’t have to do that…