Google Assistant trouble shooting

I don’t expose any scripts… I don’t have/use any.

i meant, i dont use scenes, but scripts instead, we can expose scripts, but they are not visible in the app, just hidden, only voice control

I’m having this issue now but have had 37 or so devices exposed successfully up till now… 20 is not the limit…

it’s odd @pergola.fabio is having it with cloud as well… indicates there’s something wrong on the Google side. I can’t imaging they would limit paying customers to 20 devices and as I said I can’t see any mention of any device limit in the google docs. Weird.

Just a heads up - trying to troubleshoot the issue somehow I managed to f**k my entire Google Home account (unable to use Google Home app at all, “Error connecting to cloud”). Google managed to solve it after 2 hour chat, 2 phone calls and few hours of waiting while they worked on it.

If anyone has the same issue you can point them to this thread of people discussing similar issue: https://support.google.com/googlehome/thread/624656?hl=en

And is it now resolved at your account? I have same corrupt home, and ghost devices, homes I can’t delete anymore

Yes, my account works fine right now.

What did Google do to make the corrupted go away?

No idea, chat/phone support after chat and 2 phone calls escalated the issue, got my information, app version nr, os version, google home mini firmware version etc, i went to sleep and in the morning my Google Home was empty but working.

Ah, maybe it cleared out by itself? Maybe you saw some caching?

Possible but I waited entire day before contacting the support and it was still broken, after the phone calls it got fixed in 8 hours while I slept.

@Zamunda4Eva

we found out the culprit about the maximum of 19 x devices
seems, when you have room: configured in the config, then you cant expose more then 19 x devices
as soon you comment out or remove room: , then you can expose as many of you want
we found the culprit, now still need the solution =)

maybe HA issue or maybe Google issue, thats the question

so other people with more then 20 x devices exposed, do you have room: configured for every entity?
and offcouse still able to link and unlink :slight_smile:

I’ve got exposed more than 20 devices (about 43 last count after disabling a bunch), and I’ve never had rooms enabled, always configured room assignments within the Android App itself. I don’t find it takes long. Never encountered this 20 device limit, no matter how many times I nuked my config and setup a new Google project. :+1:

I was upto 90+ exposed devices at one point, but it was wasteful.

yes, the problem is indeed if you define room: in the google config
if you dont have that, seems then you have no limit
there is an issue now, we just dont know who or what is the cause, it worked fine with room: in the config several days ago

@plonka2000 ; if you do unlink/link again, then you need to move each time entities manually? thats a lof of work?

My final conclusion on my (and several of your) “Could not update settings. Check your connection.” issues is that it is caused if you have 20 or more devices which specify a room in your google_assistant config. (or 21 or more if you are resynchronising an already linked config). Unfortunatly it seems to be a google issue, not HA, so not something we can fix ourselves while we wait, or even know how quickly google will get to it.

I’ve dropped a bug report in the support request tool on google’s site (question mark in the top right corner of your project’s page if you ever need to find it in the future). Will let you know it I hear anything.

For now the best option seems to be to keep the number of room assignments to 20 or less, and then just manually add everything else to rooms in the app (even if that means doing it again if you need to unlink-relink).

Lmfao @Lastof - I literally figured this out last night and was about to cross-post this that I made for another thread. You beat me by 13 mins.

For any future travelers - my root cause for having this error ended up being the number of devices I was exposing manually in my configuration via the ‘entity_config’ param in the google_assistant configuration. Once I exceeded 20 devices - the handshake/linking would fail. At this time, I’m unsure if subsequent resyncs would have this issue - it may just be a limitation of the initial handshake/linkage.

I was using the entity_config to map devices to rooms directly - that way it wouldn’t need to be done manually after having to re-initiate the test app simulation in the cloud console every 30 days. I added one device which put me at 21 - and everything went to hell after that and I ended up going down an update rabbit hole before I realized the root cause.

After upgrading my server to .88 - and upgrading my google actions to the latest OAUTH settings - I then ran into the error about the action being invalid - and having to use the gactions.exe commands and json modification outlined here.

Once I got the google actions test published to my account again - I was able to then begin break-testing and found it was the number of published devices in that part of my config. Reducing it to 19 made everything work again.

I’d like to be clear on what you encountered.

Was that 21 devices or 21 room-assigned devices?

This seems to be an important distinction, from what was said earlier.
Example: If I have 30 devices, but only 18 have room-assignments, is this a supposedly working configuration?

Specifically 20+ room assigned when linking a new service, or 21+ room assigned when resyncing.

I have 47 devices, with 20 assigned to rooms in the yaml config and it is working fine. If I were to add one more and try to resync it would fail (same if I try to do an initial link with the current 20, would have to drop it to 19).

1 Like

I suppose this should be added to the Google Assistant HASS documentation as it’s a known limitation that’d drive most people crazy trying to find on their own.

It’s no limitation I think, it was all working fine before… This shit happened since this weekend…

I had 62 room devices for a verry long time already