Google-Nest Offical Device Access Console Finally Released!

Love this integration, but haven’t figured out how to see if Nest Thermostats are currently in Eco mode.

Right now both thermostats show as in Eco mode in Nest and Google Home apps. However in HA I see them have a current state of “Heat”. When I checked developer section I saw references to eco mode, but unclear if I need to do anything special to leverage?

hvac_modes:
  - cool
  - heat
  - heat_cool
  - 'off'
  - fan_only
min_temp: 45
max_temp: 95
fan_modes:
  - 'on'
  - 'off'
preset_modes:
  - none
  - eco
current_temperature: 65
temperature: 69
target_temp_high: null
target_temp_low: null
fan_mode: 'off'
hvac_action: 'off'
preset_mode: none
friendly_name: Living Room Thermostat
supported_features: 27

Thanks in advance for any leads

I think the preset_mode will show as eco if it is on that mode.

Hi, my impression is that when this is in eco mode the preset_mode should be set to auto. (I just re-read some of the tests and this is what their intent is) which is set like this Climate - Home Assistant

Does the value of preset mode ever change for you in Home Assistant as you adjust the settings in the nest app or home apps?

Pretty sure I saw it showing eco the other day, when I set it to eco

Eco mode is just a preset temperature range. Your hvac_mode will still be one of heat | cool | heat_cool | off.

This is when I set to ECO via the app

When I turn eco off, but it is heating

When I turn eco off, but it isn’t heating

1 Like

Roger:
Which app are you setting Eco mode in? And what shows up when your Nest automatically switches to Eco when you’re away?

My devices are showing different states than you. Curious what is different. Thanks!

In NodeRed, I set preset_mode to eco when everyone leaves home.
When someone returns home I set hvac_mode to auto. Seems to work fine for my setup

Thanks

Does it ever change to “eco” when you aren’t setting from HA?

I’m just setting the mode using the Nest app on my iPhone. To be honest I don’t know what it shows when it swaps automatically since I don’t really use it that way. It’s in a cottage we holiday let, so there is no ‘regular’ routine for it to work out, so I just switch it to eco when there is no one in there for a few days. (I probably ought to automate that, but it’s only 2/3 times a year I need to remember to change it).

This one is wrong. hvac_action should be none.

The change is not instant but should appear in the integration within a few seconds.

Gotcha - maybe that is where the gap is (setting vs automatically switching)

I would’ve assumed it reliably shows “eco” regardless of how you get to that mode, but doesn’t appear to be working for me.

I’ll play around and also see if I can see how things show up in the Google console

Hi Allen - and no it doesn’t appear to change, but I’ll do some more tests and see if I can narrow down where issue may be

Your first one is correct…
preset_mode: eco

The second image is correct also.

You are correct, I read it wrong and thought heating was off. It will shown none when not heating, removed it from my post.

Can’t redo the screenshot now, guests are in and random heating changes aren’t cool…

Edit: and re-added the corrected screenshot showing hvac_action = off

Since HA seems to be the only app that works well with nest camera API, is there any way to restream the camera feed to other applications such as Blue Iris?

Hi, just this week I’ve proposed exposing a Rest API to allow home assistant stream sources be used by other products in the ecosystem REST API for Stream Sources · Discussion #695 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub – in particular for nest or other cloud cameras. I gave Frigate as an example where it would still need glue on the Frigate side to support the home assistant cameras. Are you familiar enough with the details of Blue Iris to know if that would work for you?

Sounds like a good idea. I think we have something already with camera proxy but it requires a long lived auth token to be sent in the header bearer which unfortunately most clients can’t do