Google-Nest Offical Device Access Console Finally Released!

Is yours saying the camera does not have the specific trait? For a new generation battery or indoor cam? If so 2021.12.03 has a fix.

Iā€™m using a new generation google nest doorbell (battery) with 2021.12.02. Didnā€™t get HA app notifications when motion detected with "prefetching forbidden" errors. Streaming has been working well. Iā€™ll try 2021.12.03 just in case. Thx! :smiley:

OK, 2021.12.03 does have some patches for that error, but not intended the battery doorbell. Happy to check in after you try it out on 2121.12.03

Allen, I am trying to set up the Nest SDM again since I fixed the Nest Hello (it died with just a constant green light). I think I have things set up properly on the GCP side, but when I try and set up the Nest integration, it doesnā€™t ask me what type of Oauth to use, but asks me for a PIN code, and when I click on the link it puts me into the nest login process, not the google account process. I think the first time I tried this I had not converted from the Nest account.

What am I doing wrong?

I am running 2021.10.7.

Hi, two things:

1. It looks like you are missing some information from Nest - Home Assistant namely the project_id
  2. The instructions on the home assistant website are always for the latest version of home assistant, and so they may not work for you on older versions. Please upgrade to 2021.12.X or else you will run into issues (namely, once you fix the project id issue, above it still wontā€™ ask you for which type of OAuth you are using and is going to assume OAuth for Web which you do not want.)

The nest integration doc said the project id was optional in the yaml configuration section: Nest - Home Assistant

If I try it with the project ID, I get a configuration failure. 2021.12 seems to be a really squirrelly release, and I didnā€™t see anything in breaking changes on Nest, where dependencies on releases are usually called out.

I may wait until a couple more point releases are out for 2021.12 and then try it. You may want to note in the Nest documentation that 2021.12.3 is now the minimum required for the integration to workā€¦

Can you explain the configuration failure? What do you mean by squirly, exactly?

• Project id is marked optional because it was added for the SDM API last year. It says This enables the SDM API. which is what youā€™re using. If you want to use a legacy works with nest account you donā€™t specify a project id. This is the flow you were just going into, and is described at the bottom of the page. You donā€™t want this. ) The step Create a Device Access project_id says at the top Once completed, you will have a device access project_id needed for later steps and also says * Take note of the Project ID as you will it later. At this point you have the project_id, client_id and client_secret configuration options needed for Home Assistant.
  • This is not considered a breaking change. If you already have nest configured it continue to work fine. It is not a breaking release when the instructions for the latest version changes. The point is that there were significant improvements to the setup flow which was overalled and instructions were re-written to make setup and the whole point is that using 2012.12 is 50% simpler. The home assistant web site always reflects the current release, for all integrations, not just nest. Home assistant does not want to support many releases worth of instructions at once.
  • Here is context on the massive improvements https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/qv9ywk/nest_integration_updates/ and I also mentioned these changes in this thread 8 days ago

If you have specific issues you are seeing I will help you clarify which steps in the instructions you missed. I would definitely not wait for another release.

Hi, I have picture-glance cards setup in lovelace for my nest-cams. They show a picture by default and then you can click the video icon on the bottom to open a streaming view of the cam. Fairly often, the stream takes long to load and some times doesnā€™t load at all. Itā€™s within the same session too, like I might open one camera stream and itā€™s quick to load and then I close it and open another and that oneā€™s really slow, or vice-versa (first is slow and the second is fast and third could go either way). Sometimes retrying a few times helps. Itā€™s not specific to any camera.

I thought I was just getting throttled by Nest, but I noticed that while this is happening, Iā€™m seeing this in the log:

2021-12-19 21:45:15 ERROR (stream_worker) [libav.rtsp] method DESCRIBE failed: 404 Not Found
2021-12-19 21:45:15 ERROR (stream_worker) [homeassistant.components.stream.worker] Error opening stream rtsps://stream-uc2-alfa.dropcam.com:443/sdm_live_stream/XYZ****bunch_of_chars***ABC

Is this expected? Wondering if whatā€™s occurring is that their sdk sends a temporary streaming link and when I go to open it itā€™s expired. Perhaps it retries at this point and as part of the retry it gets a new link which then succeeds, but the process to do all that is slow? Iā€™m totally guessing here, just trying to come up with an explanation for what Iā€™m experiencing. If this is what occurs, is it possible to increase the frequency that the streaming links renew so that it never attempts to open an expired link? If Iā€™m totally off-base though, any other ideas for the slowness or the log errors?

Thanks!

• Regarding the ā€œtime to loadā€, I now recommend two things:
  • Turning on Low Latency HLS Stream - Home Assistant
  • Enable ā€œPre load Streamā€ and the stream will be read at the start of home assistant and stay active making joining faster.

Iā€™ve seen the 404 not found issue you describe also. I donā€™t think its an expiration issue since it happens on brand new urls also. I think its a bug in the SDM API.

Can you add your +1 or details to Nest Camera does not stream Ā· Issue #60353 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub ? This will help if i report the issue to Google to investigate.

Ok thanks. Must just be the API then. I added the +1 :+1: and also the log details as a comment. I do actually have both the preload stream and the ll_hls already set. Definitely better with them, no doubt, but still experience much better performance with the actual Nest app. My issues might just be because I have like 9 thermostats and 12 or so cameras, but if so it means they set their throttling limits too low since some customers like myself do have that load. That was why I set the picture glance card to use a static image instead though, which also helps. I will say too, I improved my performance significantly by switching from a Pi3B to a Mac i7, but unfortunately still not where I need to be yet. Thanks for all the hard and excellent work!

BTW, I use the default values from the wiki for part_duration and segment_duration, which are:

stream:
  ll_hls: true
  part_duration: 0.75  # Range of 0.2 to 1.5
  segment_duration: 6  # Range of 2 to 10    

Do you recommend 0.75 and 6?

Thanks!

Allen, havenā€™t you seen the issues in the forums about breakage in the supervisor and how the release broke a bunch of custom componentsā€¦ This is not specific to the nest integration, but home assistant in general. I have a TON of integrations and automations, so the threat surface from new releases is usually pretty high.

I have a family that depends on this stuff working. I canā€™t have stuff breaking, and I have pretty luck by waiting a couple months and staying behind at least one release cycle.

Ah yes, I saw that.My impression is two components that broke were by the same author for what itā€™s worth. are you saying the author hasnā€™t had time to address the fixes for their components yet? I donā€™t use custom components because they arenā€™t supported e.g. the authorā€™s donā€™t test them on upcoming releases, and they use internal unsupported APIs. Best of luck.

Iā€™m currently using 1 and 4 for my specific network setup as the stream had a little trouble keeping upā€¦ I would only change if you see issues.

1 Like

Actually, not that one. I was just worried about the one I had, which is an old version of the Honeywell Total Comfort connect thermostat. The integration was upgraded to give it GUI configuration, but the new integration broke a bunch of functions and causes rate limiting by the honeywell backend in a way the old didnā€™t. So I took the old version and turned it into a custom component and it just works.

Since you implied the .3 release was actually solid, and since I run it in a VM that I can snapshot and revert, I tried doing an upgrade to 2021.12.3. For your integration, I selected Oauth for Web instead of for apps, and that gave me a login option to my google accounts. I selected the gmail one (I know Nest stuff has trouble with workspace accounts), and got a page with options to share info for my doorbell and nest hub max. But when I selected those and hit next, I got a ā€œError 400: redirect_uri_mismatchā€ error. Any idea as to what could be causing that?

Alas, 2021.12.3 broke the pentair integration partially. My pool lights donā€™t show up as a valid entity anymore, though most ever everything else seems ok at least from a quick overview, including the HACS plugins I use and the Honeywell custom component. Pool light control is pretty important for swimming in winter since it gets dark early, so I will revert, but can come back to this snapshot to help you debug the Nest part if needed.

Make sure to follow the integration Instructions. Also this error is listed on the troubleshooting section with a suggestion for the step that wasnā€™t followed. (Use OAuth for Apps!). Good luck.

Well, I really need to be doing this work in the morning than at night. Clearly I was not following directions! Your integration worked fine once I actually followed your instructions! Very nice. My doorbell and Hub Max now show up fine.

It looks like you are also helping to fix rdurfmanā€™s Honeywell plugin problems - thanks! I may be able to give up the custom component as wellā€¦

However the pool light regression for the Pentair integration is still there, even in 2021.12.4. The was an entry about changing the chemistry representation in the 2021.12 version, but this should not have resulted in the light entity no longer being accessible. .4 seemed to fix the Chromecast audio problem that I also saw.

EDIT: Looks like I had to delete and recreate all the Pentair devices, and then the lights became controllable again. So I will stick to 2021.12.4.

Love this integration, but havenā€™t figured out how to see if Nest Thermostats are currently in Eco mode.

Right now both thermostats show as in Eco mode in Nest and Google Home apps. However in HA I see them have a current state of ā€œHeatā€. When I checked developer section I saw references to eco mode, but unclear if I need to do anything special to leverage?

hvac_modes:
  - cool
  - heat
  - heat_cool
  - 'off'
  - fan_only
min_temp: 45
max_temp: 95
fan_modes:
  - 'on'
  - 'off'
preset_modes:
  - none
  - eco
current_temperature: 65
temperature: 69
target_temp_high: null
target_temp_low: null
fan_mode: 'off'
hvac_action: 'off'
preset_mode: none
friendly_name: Living Room Thermostat
supported_features: 27

Thanks in advance for any leads

I think the preset_mode will show as eco if it is on that mode.

Hi, my impression is that when this is in eco mode the preset_mode should be set to auto. (I just re-read some of the tests and this is what their intent is) which is set like this Climate - Home Assistant

Does the value of preset mode ever change for you in Home Assistant as you adjust the settings in the nest app or home apps?