Grouping Automations on frontend for organization

@page { size: 8.27in 11.69in; margin: 0.79in } p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.1in; background: transparent }

You are right, Calbert. Such Taps Grouping, with sort, filter, and search has become very necessary to find one’s way when active, and non-active automatons become a lot of pages.

1 Like

I guess this is still not implemented.
I really need this feature.

I have some of my automations in the package style structure.
These show up in the GUI but can not be edited here, you can follow a trace of the last events and switch it off. This is sufficient for me.
Normally I create the basic automation in the GUI so it has an ID and then copy this to my yaml files for fine tuning, switching off and removing the GUI automation.

Probably another feature request, but the automations UI should be tighter, I know at a certainpoint you start writing yaml first, but sometimes it just nice to verify in UI and scrolling 4x the distance for the same thing is easy to get lost.

3 Likes

Yes please and for helpers and entities and so on as well.

THis might be a weird or a dumb question. But if this thread is pinned, and this has been up for 3 ish years why hasn’t this been implemented yet? This would benefit EVERYONE from light users to the highest of powerusers.

4 Likes

It was only pinned recently and for 2.5 years it was split into multiple small feature requests because people can’t be bothered to search before requesting a feature. Tom I and myself consolidated the feature requests and pinned it about 6 months ago.

1 Like

New version coming for September, not perfect but nice addition and a good first step!

https://youtube.com/shorts/MXPVtlkRcx8?feature=share

1 Like

@dmertens I think you’re talking about something else which is also nice to see but not the kind of grouping on the overview page which contains all (dozens or potentially 100+) automation alphabetically.

2 Likes

In this topic, over 3 years time, several ideas were discussed on improving the automation overview. It started with grouping (hence the title), but also searching, filtering, tagging etc. In 2022.9 a first improvement is made introducing filters on room, device and/or entity.

As @dmertens states: not perfect, but a good first step.

The development of HA mainly relies on volunteers, so all credits to them for making this step, and we’ll just have to wait for more in the feature

2 Likes

There’s been a proof of concept for it already: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/69996

3 Likes

Hi @DunLaoghaire I agree, It is not quite the ultimate solution, but in my opinion still a good first step.

I agree that this was also more or less possible in the previous version with the workaround of @frenck, but by combining the more info, settings, dialog boxes and make this relatively easy to access in the different windows we can now more or less easily and quick link automations, scripts, scenes, helpers to an area and get a basic global overview for a certain project (package) as mentioned in my previous comment.

For me the most important thing is that the automation editor get some (big) love and that makes me hopeful that this is just a first step and that we probably see a lot more changes in the near future that probably also will include more organization options!

1 Like

+1 vote from me, should be very usefull

Quote this post!. Automations tag or category is required feature to improve productivity.

1 Like

Even I personally am totally fine with the current need to structurize all my automations by a naming convention (friendly_name is sufficient for that), now with

• almost 1.000 votes,
  • more than 10.000 views and
  • 171 likes and
  • almost 3 years after the op,

I would bet this feature is “just around the corner”, without knowing what is going on in the GitHub repos.

Probably for one of the last “year of streamlining user experiences” monthly big bang updates?

Being worked on here Add label support by frenck · Pull Request #69996 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

2 Likes

Add label support by frenck · Pull Request #69996 · home-assistant/core · GitHub currently adds support for devices and entities.
Not sure it will support automation, scripts, and other things.
I really hope it will :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

automations are entities, you can simply go into the entities section of HA and search automation. and it shows all of them. All the frontend has to do is reference those entitles and what labels they have.

1 Like

Didn’t knew that, till now I thought that automations are managed by a different registry.
Hopefully, this will get added soon.

1 Like

+1
Would greatly help organization and productivity. Once you have tens or hundreds of Automations it would be great to be able to visually separate them by categories.

Would be great to have the same thing for helpers.