Guide: How to learn broadlink RF codes

I did not use the app. No more need of the app

example:
entity_id: remote.broadlink_rm4_pro_remote
device: window1
command: up
command_type: rf

They changed the app slightly. You don’t need to set frequency for every button in the remote anymore. Otherwise instructions still valid

I’ve got it setup as follows and then click “Call Service” and immediately follow the notification on HA by pressing the button on the Broadlink light switch and still nothing. Any other suggestions?

service: remote.learn_command
target:
entity_id: remote.wi_fi_universal_remote_remote
device_id: 1815da26aedbcb5d65a2e7984621c35c
data:
device: kitchen lights
command_type: rf
command: ‘on’

What do you mean? is it a RF switch?
Isn’t it a WIFI switch? normally Broadlink switches works with WIFI

Thanks @nikd1. Just got my RM4 Pro and it picked up open and close on my blinds but not stop. Using this I got HA to learn the stop command via RF.

no problem @Neilson, there may be an easier way discovered in the past year but I dont have time to read through all of the posts!

What I will highly recommend to everyone is to take a look at this as an easy way to learn IR and RF codes which can be done from Lovelace. makes the process much easier!

1 Like

Spot on! That’s the setup a Dev asked me to use.

What I did was a bit of a combo of both I think. I went into the developer tools in Lovelace and did all the setup for call service. Then I used the Broadlink App so set the hub into learning mode then clicked call service in Lovelace. Seems to keep the hub in learning mode for longer and it receives better as I got all the RF commands in one go. I then did all the commands for a TV in one go too.

I think you have to use only the HA, not the app.

When using just HA it took a few times to get all the codes to be learned and some codes it just didn’t get. Once I used the app to put the hub into learning mode it stayed there until I was done.

is it possible to have a summary of the procedure? I didn’t understand much about how to do it

Problem is the method changed since i wrote the guide and I haven’t relearnt codes since so someone needs to write a new guide. However maybe if you use an older apk of the Android software it will work using the guide otherwise you need to read through all the confusing comments on this post to figure it out.

Yep, same problem here.
Only by using the broadlink app to first to start learning, and then starting the HA service I can teach HA RF codes.
Without the broadlink app part it just keeps saying “Press and hold …” for like 30 seconds and then rm4 pro led goes off and that’s it (seems like timeout).

that’s crazy…

Thanks to all you guys I have managed to get the codes into HA.
I fiddled around following various guides, but unsuccesfully.
So, here is another guide for the RM4 Pro in combination with the actual BroadLink iOS App (not the e-Control)

Prerequisites:

1. HA is running :wink:
  2. BroadLink Integration is installed and BroadLink Device recognized.
  3. On the iOS App choose create new device (in my case a Warema Awning) and start learning buttons.
  4. While the App is waiting for the original remote to be triggered, I start the remote.learn_command on HA.
  5. In most cases the code appears in /config/.storage/broadlink_remote_xxx
    The App fails to recognize the code, but I don’t care as long as I got it in HA.
  6. (optional) You can also repeat this without the remote.learn_command to get the right codes in the App as well).

Now I just need to hook these codes onto switches.

I wish these could be input_button instead of switches. Without creating an automation. an input_button is closer to the actual remote control button. Handheld IR remote controls do not usually contain tons of switches they have buttons.

That’s a good point, Lee.
That’s why I created buttons out of the commands.
I am not happy with it though, because it does not work yet.
So, I wonder if this is related to my limited knowledge about HA so far (coming from openhab).

EDIT:
Sorry - it does work with input_button :grinning:

Hi! Really struggling with this for one week now. Followed the process, codes are getting learned.
Trying to send command, the led blips, but nothing happens. I am trying to control some RF rollers.
Learned the codes and tried maybe 20 time. Any advice please? It’s driving me crazy…

When you say start remote.learn.command. do you mean you hit call service? And that’s it?

***Right after I posted this I figured it out. Thank youuuuu. I had to dig deep to find the answer to make RF work lol

1 Like

Hi, does the 433.92 work for you? with broadlink rm 4 pro it doesn’t work, it reads the codes and everything, but when I send the order the curtain doesn’t receive it.

I tried it in the same broadlink app and in Home assistant and nothing, with 433 I have no problems, it is with the 433.92 only.

Greetings.

1 Like