HADashboard Tablet Hardware Options

Hi Everyone! Love this discussion. Just finished my first HADashboard (Will post screenshots soon) and am looking for wall mounting options. My goal is to have an inductive-charged tablet magnetically mounted so it’s really easy to use on wall, and very easy to pop off the wall and be carried around as a remote.

I’ve never screwed around with either wall mounting or inductive charging before. Does anyone have any critiques of my plan? I’m looking at a cheap android tablet, a wireless charging receiver to stick to the back of it, a magnetic wall mount, and I’ll add the wireless charger to a gang box in the wall.

I’m looking at products like this for the magnetic mount: https://www.amazon.com/Intuitive-4330614733-Tablet-Wall-Mount/dp/B01FSZLEQK

And, from my searches it appears very few tablets have induction charging built in, so I’d be looking at adding inductive charging via a device like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Receiver-Nillkin-narrow-side-Qi-Enabled/dp/B01DLYF0Q0/ref=pd_sbs_107_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DLYF0Q0&pd_rd_r=V1DPS54KHYW56RFWCW5R&pd_rd_w=D0mUi&pd_rd_wg=387yw&psc=1&refRID=V1DPS54KHYW56RFWCW5R

And probably buying a cheap chinese android tablet like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-10-Inch-Android-Tablets-PC-2GB-RAM-16GB-32GB-ROM-WIFI-Bluetooth-2GB-16GB-32GB/32424548233.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.6.103537d6RyVVkm&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10152_10151_10065_10344_10130_10068_10324_10342_10547_10325_10343_10546_10340_10548_10341_10545_10696_10084_10083_10618_10307_5711211_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620_10810_10811,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_7&algo_expid=0ff1598d-83d6-41d3-97ee-ff7c37d6ab3d-0&algo_pvid=0ff1598d-83d6-41d3-97ee-ff7c37d6ab3d&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=0

Then, of course, an inductive charging pad/emitter, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Wireless-Certified-Anti-Slip-Qi-Enabled/dp/B00C40OG22/ref=pd_sim_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00C40OG22&pd_rd_r=HKV1E1P9QBZFMMKD2P25&pd_rd_w=xOgCP&pd_rd_wg=K665O&psc=1&refRID=HKV1E1P9QBZFMMKD2P25

Thanks for any feedback! Will happily post the results.

1 Like

from my own experience:

never use anything selfadhesive with something that gets warm.
it will come off at some point.

if you buy a cheap android tablet, then i would get one with at least android 7

if you want the screen to be on a lot, then you probably dont want such an inductive charger.
they tend to charge quite slow and the usage will then be higher then the charging.
if it is off most of the time it can work.

i have some of my cheaper tablets with cheaper chargers, but its critical if you want something more.
if you also want motion detection and perhaps the usage from the cam, then you can forget using induction charging (according to my experience)

if you want it cheap(er) then dont make it removable and add a decent charger
if you want it removable, then i advice not to go cheap (and even that is going to make you run in some trouble at some time.)

I see! Thank you for the detailed response.

I wasn’t aware of the limitations of inductive charging, I believe that kills my hope of having a quickly-removable wall mounted motion-detecting tablet but I certainly appreciate you sharing your experiences and saving me from buying these components only to be disappointed.

i cant talk about other inductive charging ways, and i know that some built in chargers are absolutely not bad (just not from own experience)

but the parts you were thinking about i have here lying around unsused. i had the same idea, but for me it was a disaster.
the tablet did come down with all kinds of stuff i tried (thank god that i somehow didnt believe in selfadhesive stuff and i had something to catch it below it) and the induction was already dismissed way before that.
so i had my tablet on a normal charger and the falling down caused the connector from the charging cable to break.

but i have a few tablets mounted for a while now and i must say that you probbly never want to take it off when you get used to a dashboard.

i have those wallmounts where you just put the tablet in from the top. all you have to do is disconnect the cable and tke it out. but i never do that. not even if i want to change something :wink:

Thanks again for the input. I think I probably will do a more stationary wall mount then…need to decide if i want to roll with my current iPad 2 (which–i believe—can’t do motion detection so it’s always on pretty bright) or buy an android of some sort, then probably something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wall-iPad-Mount/dp/B00GUDAFS8/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1522119173&sr=8-17&keywords=wall+tablet+mount though I’m not sure I want to deal with the install on that one

I used Koala 2.0.

It serves the purpose well. As for charging, see on the forum, a guy did a lovely solution @Hefford27

There was this project that was using magnetic charging cable. Very easy to disconnect yet still a full power solution. Can be had for 4 bucks on AliExpress.

i just ended up using this:

and i can immagin an option with magnet where i just splitt a nomal charging cable and, put magnets on the ending from the cable parts. the magnets then would only be to connect the + and - from the cable again, and wouldnt have to carry anything.

I want to avoid cables being obvious (WAF!!) and my wifi is pretty overloaded already, so some of the POE solutions look good. I’ll have to make sure I can get a cable to the right place of course.

Other option for power would be putting the tablet near a power or light switch and making a power supply to fit in the wall behind it. Mount the tablet in a picture frame and easily hide the power connector/cable. The IRM-10-05 devices provide a one device 2A 5V power supply. Then it’d be wifi, but so be it.

1 Like

Alright, just got in to HADashboard a couple weeks ago but I have been driving my wife nuts with it since. Here is what I have done hardware wise:
2x Lenovo S8-50F tablets
3D printed my own custom mounts
3M command strips to attach mounts to wall/furniture
10’ 90 degree micro usb cables
fully kiosk installed with motion detection via front camera (works great except for low light)

Notes: The upstairs wall where one tablet is mounted has my fridge on the other side; this was handy because I used the outlet that the fridge was using for the USB power adapter. The other tablet is mounted on the side of an IKEA wall unit and the way it is set up, you cannot really see the whole for the cable on the other side unless you go snooping.
Tinkercad link for my stl files.
Thingiverse
USB Cables

Pics:

Very nice.

mine is simple:

3M command strips hold the tablet to a wall. The power plug is taken from a wireless charger receiver.
The left switch is a wireless xiaomi/aqara double switch so it doesn’t use any space in the box - phone charges sits there. The right switch is a regular xiaomi/aqara wall switch wired to mains (230v).
Tablet is a Galaxy Tab3 8.0 running HAdashboard.

current power use 4300 and maximum 25000 ???

Ha, just threw a number in there but, when the in - floor heat kicks in, I’ve seen it hit 15k

not the best pictures, but it gives a picture from what i am working on.
work in progress though.
at the moment it is still to vertical, and off course i still need to tug away the power cable.

i needed to do something like that because when its on the wall, i am unable to see it when i am close (because of the cupboards)

i can turn it, and place it against both walls. total length 35 + 12 cm from the corner.

in the future it will probably also get decorated all around by my wife :wink:

Here is my fire 7” tablet. I finally got it mounted in the last couple days and whipped together a HAdashboard. I run fully kiosk browser and keep the screen on permanently. I’m beyond thrilled with it, and probably have right under $100 in the whole deal including the fire($35,) mount($25,) recessed outlet box and receptacle with usb($40.)

3 Likes

How do you charge it?

There’s a recessed outlet in the wall behind it. If you look closely in the pictures you can see the right angle usb that’s plugged into it.

Did you install the outlet yourself for the tablet or was it already there?

I installed it. It’s an “old work” box so all you have to do is cut a hole in the wall and it clamps to the drywall. Then run the 120v.

This is the box:

Arlington DVFR1W-1 Recessed Electrical/Outlet Mounting Box, Single Gang https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W6ZOR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lj78AbBSYBGKA

With this outlet:
Top Greener TU2152A-W Dual USB Outlet/Outlet with USB ports, Dual USB Charger Outlet, USB Power Outlet, 2.1A USB Outlet with 15A Tamper Resistant Duplex Receptacle, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MNU668A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_em78AbMQXJYKJ