Hass.io On Hyper-V - Step By Step

Do you still have the problem?

I still get the same error about the strange power supply continuing. Home assistant works fine and I’ve been using Hyper-V to run hassio now for 2 months. Moved from proxmox just because it’s easier. All we need to keep on server running now going to repurpose proxmox server.

I had struggled with the network configuration on Hyper-V for quite a while until I figured out that I had to disable “Virtual Machine Queue” and “IPSEC Offloading” in the advanced configuration of my Network Adapter.

Worked perfect since.

3 Likes

I am using VirtualBox on a Laptop with Windows 10 and have a Husbzb-1 for Z Wave and Zigbee. Runs great with exception of when I reboot I have to remove the Husbzb-1 and re-install it. I am considering trying Hyper-V with the usb redirect. Does anyone have this configuration.

1 Like

Got the same set-up and same problem you have. Would also like to know the same!

I never found a solution with VirtualBox, but did try VMWare Workstation Player 15. (You can install it without removing your VirtualBox, just stop VirtualBox.) It resolved having to remove the Husbzb-1 but I would get an occasional popup on VMWare about the Tools not running when I did a reboot. I could remote in and clear it, restart the Workstation Player, and everything worked. Workstation Player doesn’t have the Clone feature that VirtualBox has. Other than that, I had no issue. In the end, I decided to buy a $50 Thin Client off of eBay and dedicate it Home Assistant. I imaged the Thin Client with the NUC image and it has worked great. No more problems Husbzb-1. If you are interested in that solution I created instructions https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdfd16b0552vlxq/Thin%20Client%20setup.pdf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR1e7mst4VsfchDJRhtvbjhpQNejI5QX4veLeXC2LSHtFxd19k_9H-73rZA

Many Thanks for this step-by-step en image file.
Works, great, i have installed it on a intel Nuc i7/16GB/1TB SSD with free hyper-v 2019 installed on it. It is realy fast. The only thing is USB use of this setup, so everything is going on IP and is working.
Installing on a nuc you must install the goed network driver, out of the box hyper-V has no drivers for the intel NUC.

Hello everyone,
I am having networking problems Hass.io on Hyper-V.
All I want is a supervised version of Home Assistant on a Windows machine.
I have a static wired LAN that has a gateway to the Internet.
My windows machine previously had an IP of 192.168.88.3.
I created the virtual switch and then changed the static IP of the virtual switch to 192.168.88.163 in the network adapters menu.
I can now display the deepstackia docker instance webpage on 192.168.88.163:83; showing that my virtual switch is functioning.
I installed Ubuntu 20.04 and gave it an address 192.168.88.165. That is working.
So can conclude that the virtual switch is functioning but need to be able to assign a static IP address to the Hass.io VM.
Does anyone know how I can do that? Or, should I install on Ubuntu now that I have that working?

Further research has shown that I might be able to get the Hassio VM working by configuring a static ip using nmcli.

When you have the image ready and Home Assistant running, set the mac-adres of the virtual machine in your router with the ipnumber you have assigned to it. The every time HA is starting your router gives this ip adres to HA. You can find the mac-adres in the lower bar in hyper-v Manager, click on network and you see the mac-adres.

1 Like

You can set the static ip from the UI now at the supervisor > system> host card.

2 Likes

Sadly, I cannot access the router configuration menu.

OK. So plug it in a DHCP router. Then fill in the details of the static connection. Then plug it in the router where it is supposed to go? I will give that a try. I got it up and running in Ubuntu but would rather have the proper version.

Thank you both for your help. I got HassOS working on on the static IP.
The next step is to connect a second network…

Can you please help me? I am also just migrated to HyperV HASOS installed on the VM. I have the cc2531 installed on proxmox (old machine) and redirecting to VM in proxmox is very easy. But for Hyper-V i dont have find a solution. What are really a good working possibilities?

I am also thinking about buy a Rasp Pi and install there the cc2531 such as use as a Zigbee HUB.

Another option is install cc2531 on Windows (just install it on the hyperv server self, and then send data to the VM using network), but i am also stuck on that how i can do that.

I bailed on any sort of USB redirection, it was just too flaky for me. It would survive some reboots, but not all. I wasn’t trusting it. I ended up continuing on for a bit with Hyper-V and doing just as you thought. I ran Openzwave & zigbee2mqtt on a raspberry pi and just pushed those updates to Mosquitto MQTT on the HASSIO machine. This was a lot more stable for me and I’d recommend this over any USB redirection, it will be more resilient.

In the end I’ve massively changed my setup 2 months ago and I’m just running Home Assistant Container on a Debian host. In the end I was having too many Docker issues on a Windows host. I went straight Linux to avoid Windows Docker edge cases that kept coming up again and again (primarily around networking & usb passthrough). This move was motivated primarily for reasons not relating to Home Assistant, but for the first time in years I’m happy and trusting my whole home server setup :grinning:

Do you have for me a little bit tutorial how you installed PI with cc2531 and pushed updates to Mosquitto on that another machine?

Which OS to run the PI?
Any tutorial to install the cc2531 on that OS?
How i can push the updates to the Mosquitto from that Zigbee2mqtt installed on the PI?
Did you installed zigbee2mqtt inside a docker on that PI?

HassOS on Virtualbox has been working well for my HUSBZB-1 Zwave+Zigbee dongle connected to a NUC on windows 10 as the base OS.

Hi all,

I’m having the same issues as above.
I created a new virtual switch, linked it to my wireless card and allowed management operating system

The VM starts -up just fine, but doing a dns info command results in:
Host: 172.30.32.3
dns : 195.130.130.3
dns : 195.130.131.3

My pc (running the Hyper-V) has a 192.168.0.x address

Can’t get a ip-adres within that range for my hassio image… Anyone got an idea ?

Kr,

Bart

Hi Bart,
What is the output from “network info”?