Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

How is everyone rolling back to the last version of docker? My system keeps telling me thats not allowed…

hi! i am facing the same problems. updated hassio to latest version but my Hassio tab dissappeared and most of my addons are not working anymore.
i have all my automations working through Node-Red and now no container seems to be working.
please help so that either i can roll-back the hassio or docker :frowning:
My smart home is not smart anymore.

Does the following in release notes of 0.98.1 have nything to do with this issue ??

Docker base image change

If you run Home Assistant via Docker (not Hass.io) and are using the homeassistant/home-assistant container, the images are now using the same images as hass.io, which are using Alpine Linux instead of Debian.

The hass.io images are a third of the size of the old images and are heavily optimized thanks to the hard work by @pvizeli.

This change will only impact you if you were extending or customizing the image with Debian packages. If you want to continue to use the Debian based images, you can find the Dockerfile for the old images here.

For more background on this decision, see ADR-006.

Agree - latest docker removes the hass.io menu option (under development tools) shows its not running on hass.io.

Stop/start of the hass,io package does not fix this… I had to uninstall the hass.io
Then uninstall the docker (uncheck to remove the shared folders etc)
reinstalled the 17.x docker
It warns its end of life is 12/2019
Re-added the 08.13.2019 package
Run it
Waited for it to rebuild the containers etc…
sure enough - I have the hass.io menu back!

so something is a muck with the latest docker 18.x and how this works

Installed 08.13.2019 and my HUSBZB1 is working fine on USB0 and USB1 for Zigbee and Zwave
however I cannot get node-red to start…

19-08-31 01:32:25 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker] Can’t start addon_a0d7b954_nodered: 404 Client Error: Not Found (“linux runtime spec devices: error gathering device information while adding custom device “/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_61201219-if01-port0”: lstat /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_61201219-if01-port0: no such file or directory”)

I did verify that the usb_devices.txt does show them there and again its working fine… however I cannot get the addons to run

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon Labs_HubZ Smart Home Controller_61201219-if00-port0
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon Labs_HubZ Smart Home Controller_61201219-if01-port0

Good and bad news… I’ll try to build a new version but I doubt it will fix the node-red issue. Perhaps you can check with the discord channel.

I’ve looked around and the seems not to be an easy fix. I can’t see what have changed (docker vise) so I don’t know what to do to fix it but I’ll investigate some more.

Sucess!!

I’ve managed to find the issue with Docker 18. I’ll try to wrap together a new hass.io version but the fix is as follows until I get that ready:

1. Stop the hassio package (from Package Center).

2. Go to your hass.io folder (on your nas) and open homeassistant.json,

3. Go to the Docker application and locate Containers, there you will have a homeassistant container.

4. Stop the container (if it still is running).

5. Click edit and go to Environment

6. Add the variable HASSIO with value hassio

7. Add the variable HASSIO_TOKEN with the value from access_token found in home_assistant.json

8. optional add the variable TZ with your current timezone according to https://www.epochconverter.com/timezones

The result should look like this:

As I said, I’ll make this automatic but it might take a day or so.

5 Likes

Thanks for the quick solution :+1:

Thanks for the quick fix. Restarted your package and HA after making the changes and Hass.io and other addons are back in town. \o/

Let’s how stable this is I had some issues with the supervisor that restarts and recreate homeassistant and then do this solution dissappear.

I think I need a chat with the hassio developers to see what is going on.

Hi, am trying to install the package but i cant get it to work…
Im runnign version 20190813-6dd0666c.

In docker i got two images after installation: Amd64-hassio-dns and amd64-hassio-supervisor
I only have one container and its stopping and starting every 2 secound, its the supervisor

What im i missing?

I’m having exactly the same when installing the package from scratch…

1 Like

I’ll investigate and take that in consideration when creating the next version, stay tuned.

1 Like

After a reboot of my NAS I’m also trapped in only supervisor/dns running. HA got stopped and doesn’t come back. :frowning:

just created an account to say: thank you, you are awesome!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Hi all, we will fix this issue in next Docker package update. The workaround is to apply environment value in Docker UI.

As it is confirmed that the issue is with environment variables so I will not build a new package instead I offer two solutions:

1. Run this script as a task once hass.io is started:
CONFIG_FILE="/usr/local/hassio/etc/hassio.json"

if docker --version|grep 18.09.6 >/dev/null; then
    NEWENV="\"TZ=`date +"%Z"`\""
    NEWENV+=",\"HASSIO=hassio\""
    NEWENV+=",\"HASSIO_TOKEN=$(jq -r .access_token "$(jq -r .data ${CONFIG_FILE})/homeassistant.json")\""

DOCKER_JSON="/var/packages/Docker/target/docker/containers/$(docker inspect homeassistant |jq -r '.[0].Id')/hostconfig.json"
    TMP_FILE=$(mktemp)
    jq --argjson newenvs "[${NEWENV}]"  '.Env += $newenvs' ${DOCKER_JSON} > $TMP_FILE

docker stop homeassistant
    mv $TMP_FILE $DOCKER_JSON
    docker start homeassistant
fi
  1. Replace the hassio.sh file with this one: hassio.sh · GitHub (curl https://gist.githubusercontent.com/fredrike/b23aacac7bd2d386ea00e138320202df/raw/hassio.sh >/var/packages/hassio/target/bin/hassio.sh && chmod +x /var/packages/hassio/target/bin/hassio.sh will do this autmatically).

I do not know what is going on here but it is probably due to the bug introduced in the Docker 18 package. I suggest that you downgrade Docker as described above.

If you have the homeassistant container the above should work. Otherwise downgrade Docker until Synology have a working Docker version.

Thank you, and welcome to the community!

A side note, I’m looking for an offsite backup location for approx 500GB data, if someone have spare place send me a PM (perhaps we can trade offsite storage :slight_smile:).

Hm… the container is gone, too. I’ve just got the ha:0.98.1 image left. This may be my own fault as I’ve removed the old ha:latest 3 gig image manuall, but according to the log ha was just stopped. Not really sure where it has gone. Should the supervisor be able to create the container again or is that the broken part related to the Docker upgrade?

The supervisor will only create the ha container the first time (or if config.json is missing)…

Ok. Didn’t got supervisor to recreate the container. So I went down the hard way, downgraded Docker and started from scratch with a backup of the hass.io folder. Now I’m back where I started, but 1 hour older, a lot wiser and with backups of the container config. :wink:

1 Like

I am not able to install addons after adding the environment variable HASSIO_TOKEN to the homeassistant container.
The error message I get:
/run.sh: line 51: HASSIO_TOKEN: unbound variable
Any idea to workaround this issue?

Downgrade Docker. That will be the solution until Synology fixes the variable bug.