Installation of Hassio on Synology NAS

Thanks for the pointers. Excuse my ignorance, but if I stop plex running natively on the nas, plex wont be running at all… Does that mean that the plex addon for hass.io is a new server altogether?

Yes it is a new server (I guess). I’ve not dared to migrate from native Plex to hassio-addon Plex my self yes so please keep us updated on your experience.

The benifit will (probably) be that you are managing all services from within hassio…

Ok Awesome… Thanks so much for your help!! I have the addon working now, but would like to point out one minor detail that isnt explained in the documentation and that is that after the install, the plex addon docker container needs to be updated to include mounting paths for media locations… Minor detail but thought it worth a mention.

Ill keep you posted here. I have turned off my native install (I wont delete it though, at least for the short term) and am slowly building the libraries for hass.io

Thanks again for your speedy assistance!

i am getting following error in haasio_supervisor log
can anyone advise what i am doing wrong her. Thanks

Error Log

Starting with the first message suggest that you have some kind of network issue:

Can't fetch versions from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json: Cannot connect to host version.home-assistant.io:443 ssl:None [Try again]

Did anybody experience problems after the last Synology update ( 6.2.2-24922-3)? My Synology updated overnight, and SSH and MQTT promptly stopped to connect to api.

Some more info:
Log file in addon_core_configurator:
/run.sh: line 17: HASSIO_TOKEN: unbound variable

Logfile in addon_xxx_ssh:
[11:36:51] ERROR: Unable to authenticate with the API, permission denied stderr
11:36:51 [cont-init.d] nginx.sh: exited 0. stdout
11:36:51 [cont-init.d] ssh.sh: executing… stdout
11:36:51 [cont-init.d] ssh.sh: exited 0. stdout
11:36:51 [cont-init.d] user.sh: executing… stdout
11:36:51 /var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/user.sh: line 30: HASSIO_TOKEN: unbound variable stderr
11:36:51 [cont-init.d] user.sh: exited 1.

I see it was addressed in another post: Hass.io on Synology DSM (native package)

I have Hassio now running as Virtual Machine in my Synology. (DS918+)
Would this docker method be better? Less overhead maybe?

I have switched to using the native package as the VM kept dropping my USB Z-Wave and Google Coral TPU

What do you meen by Virtual machine on Synology? You have server that is just using Synology as place to hold image or?

No, on the synonogy there is a package “Virtual Machine Manager”
So you can run virtual machines straight on the Synology.

But I don’t know what would be the best way. I think docker is slightly better, with less overhead…
Only thing I don’t have find out if it’s possible with the add-on to have a dedicated network configuration (Separate IP from the NAS itself), only for the hassio docker. (So no trouble with already used ports and stuff…)

OK, wasn’t sure if it was one or the other. And it should put more overhead if using VM then using Docker.

I try to install the package at a Synology 918+, installation went smooth, but I don’t see the Hass.io tab in the menu on the left. How can get that menu item to appear?

Under Developer Tools - Info is sais “hassio false” and “dev false”.

Have you tried adding

hassio:

To your configuration.yaml?

You are running the broken Docker version from Synology (18.09.0), upgrade or downgrade Docker…

https://www.synology.com/en-global/releaseNote/Docker

Thanks, I downgraded to Docker 17.05.0-0401, I’ll report back if that helps.

1 Like

Thanks, that worked.

1 Like

Does anyone know if it is safe to update to the revised Docker Synology update 18.09.0-0506? They claim to have fixed the environment variable for Docker Compose…

Yes it is safe to upgrade the Docker package now.

2 Likes

Hi Gwystyl,
Did you ever get HACS to work?

I’m sorry for the very late answer, but I use a Synology DS218+ with a virtual machine now. It’s a lot easier to get running and use HACS this way then in the docker environment. Also this is a supported way of running Home Assistant, and much easier to update/upgrade.