Hass.io running on docker/ubuntu on VM vs standalone hass running on docker on Ubuntu on VM

Hey all

I currently have HASS running on docker on an Ubuntu VM.
I also have a few HA companion docker containers running - e.g. dasher for amazon dash buttons.

I need to do a bit of admin work to increase disk space on the VM, so I came to think maybe I will be better served to spin up a new VM and install hass.io (in parallel to my existing HA, initially :slight_smile: )

I saw the custom install procedure, and looks fairly straightforward.
Then I saw this warning:

When you use this installation method, some add-ons will not be available and the documentation might not work for your installation.

Not so worried about the docs, but if addons donā€™t work then its kind of pointless to go with hass.io.
Can any chip in with comments, pros and cons etc to help me decide whether to go with hass.io?
Thanks in advance!

BTW a pre-rolled very lightweight hass.io VM image would be awesome!
Ubuntu server is a nice (easy) starting point, but I am sure it has a bunch of services I wont need.
On this train of thought, would the NUC image work in a VM i.e. by using the SD card as a boot image?

1 Like

the minimal version of Ubuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Thanks, Good tip!

i suggest to follow this tutorial so you can have the latest docker version ( is useful in the long run when storage problem will occur ).

bare in mind that the image is so minimal :stuck_out_tongue: that it lack basic tools and commands ā€¦ so you will need to add these

apt-transport-https:

add-apt-repository:

after docker-CE install completes run :

apt -y install bash socat jq curl

next :

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -

and you are ready :slight_smile:

this is the most minimal ( small ) image possible in Ubuntu ( Debian).

NOTE: in the OS installation on the last screen dont forget to select ssh (it is the last on the list ) because there is a possibility of black screen due to the lack of display drivers.

2 Likes

Nice. Thanks.

That was super easy and fast.
I sacrificed some space for easy by also installing the ā€œbasic serverā€ package during install.

Hi Mak,

I am trying to install hass.io on a ubuntu VM aswell and tried following your instructions but getting an errorā€¦
My linux skills are average and extremely new to docker so any help will be appreciated.

$ curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install7 | bash -
bash: line 1: 404:: command not found

Got rid of the ā€œ7ā€ from the link you pasted and now I am getting this error:

sudo curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -
mkdir: cannot create directory ā€˜/usr/share/hassioā€™: Permission denied

Is there a more complete guide for this install anywhere?

Thanks

the "7 " represent how many users have click the link :stuck_out_tongue:

the not Permission error show that you didnā€™t use the correct user.

#########################
about linux and user Permission :
every user have Permission to read -write create to its home directory ( /home/usex/ )
usually only the root ( root is: the admin or the god of the system :stuck_out_tongue: )
have Permission to write read create to other directories.

because using root in a system is dangerous there is a special group of user that can run a command AS a root user.
this is possible using ā€œsudoā€
for example if you run apt-get install htop ( the system will tell you that you dont have Permission because you are not root and to use sudo).

use google for more infoā€¦ about: root , sudo , Permission in linux
##################
with the above you can easy see that your user dont have the correct permission.

you can try split the command to
sudo curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install

sudo bash -

OR

login as root by using
sudo su

( the above command is like saying ā€¦ with the power of root i wont to be root :stuck_out_tongue: )

thanks Mak good explanationā€¦
I did eventually get it going last night and when reading through the instructions it did note to use root, when I used root it all worked fine.
Itā€™s a great way to run HASS and hopefully more reliableā€¦ my RPI build lasts a few months and then I have to rebuild. I will do more testing and eventually move to my VM platform.

Thanks again for your time!!

1 Like

I installed hassio as described in this post, but am unable to perform an upgrade (from 0.68.1 to 069.1). Hassio system log shows the following:

18-05-16 10:07:25 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker.interface] Update docker 0.68.1 with homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.69.1
18-05-16 10:07:25 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant tag 0.69.1.
18-05-16 10:07:32 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker.interface] Can't install homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.69.1 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found ("no such image: homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.69.1: No such image: homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.69.1").

Similar errors show up when adding or updating addons.
I am trying to troubleshoot this without any luck.
My container list:

CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                    COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                            NAMES
87736c1d6e30        homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant   "/usr/bin/entry.sh..."   47 hours ago        Up 47 hours                                                          homeassistant
4421924e56cb        homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor    "python3 -m hassio"      4 days ago          Up 4 days                                                            hassio_supervisor
9d02d6fd0059        homeassistant/amd64-addon-duckdns        "/usr/bin/entry.sh..."   12 days ago         Up 12 days                                                           addon_core_duckdns
f2768b7ae087        homeassistant/amd64-addon-samba          "/usr/bin/entry.sh..."   12 days ago         Up 12 days                                                           addon_core_samba
7f7ea57f192f        hassioaddons/ide-amd64                   "/init"                  12 days ago         Up 12 days          0.0.0.0:3219->8321/tcp                           addon_a0d7b954_ide
e118199e3d37        homeassistant/amd64-addon-mosquitto      "/usr/bin/entry.sh..."   12 days ago         Up 12 days          0.0.0.0:1883->1883/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8883->8883/tcp   addon_core_mosquitto

Home Assistant works, so no networking issue I think.
Could it be permission issue?
Any thoughts?

Issue was not enough harddisk space in VM. Resized in ESXi and then using gparted and solved. Thanks to user cogneato helping with the roubleshooting!

Iā€™m confused, I tried this with no luck?

:ā€œroot@ubuntuvm:~# sudo curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install.sh
404: Not Foundā€