Hassio doesnt start with last update!

pi 4 + ssd.
After upgrading os from 5.2 to 5.8 the pi doesnt boot from ssd anymore.
I dont have a compatible hdmi cable so dont know whats going on…

whats the best way to restore a backup? fresh install 5.8 or 5.2 and restoring backup or…?

1 Like

i did a clean install but not everything works anymore.
Hacs wont install
Deconz can not install

what is happening?

Not working.
$ ha core start
Error: no such container: hassio_cli
$ core start
/bin/ash: core: not found

Do this “blindly”:

boot and wait 10min
connect a keyboard
type root and hit enter
type “core start” and hit enter
wait 2-3 minutes and try to connect using the website

3 Likes

Blindly? You mean without monitor?
But i have already been connected by keyboard and monitor on Pi then logged in as root not giving any password and then gave your commands which return the output i typed.
What is the purpose of “blindly”?

I did a clean install to 4.15 and restored a backup. Everything worked fine again. Just for fun I updated to 5.18 again and everything was bricked again. I’ve took some screenshots. Hopefully someone will be able to fix this.

no purpose, I thought you didnt have monitor :slight_smile:

1 Like

i dont have a monitor… same problem… pi doesnt boot after update.

No booting here as well.

1 Like

I too suffered this issue.

The first thing I did was upgrade the OS from 5.5 to 5.8 and this worked fine, did a reboot to make sure it came up without issue. I then went ahead and upgraded to 2020.12 and like everyone else had the problem with the reboot. I then did a rebuild and moved my SSD from the Raspberry and flashed the latest figuring that might solve the problem. No luck. I moved my PI to my Den and hooked up a Monitor and Keyboard. Typed in the suggestion above (Root followed by Core Start) and that allowed me to bring up an empty Home Assistant. Put the PI back in my Server Closet and restored my config (but did not select 118.4) and I am back up and running.

I wish I had seen this thread before going through and restoring would have been easier.

as confirmed in thread below, 5.8 doesn’t boot from ssd neither when updated from previous 5.x nor installed from scratch

Not booting here neither :frowning:
RP4 4GB

As an FYI, I am running from an SSD. So SSD Boot works with 5.8.

This is how i got Home Assistant working again on my Odroid C2:

Download 4.15 image and write to storage (SD/eMMC): https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/tag/4.15

When credentials are asked, choose the restore from backup option and select your pre-upgrade backup.

After a successful restore run the following command in the terminal:
ha os update --version 4.20
to upgrade HassOS to version 4.20.

HassOS 4.20 is now running stable with Supervisor 2020.12.6

1 Like

Are you using any ‘quirks’?

I can’t get 5.6 or even 5.2 to boot now either!

I’ll try via Raspbian to go back to an older version of the eeprom. Can’t work it out right now!

Nothing that I recall, followed the instructions here.

I did the OS uprade first and it stopped working.
After 3 cold boots hass started again.
The upgrade to 2020.12 worked but still offered the update after reboot while it showed the updated version under system.
After another reboot there were no more issues.

My C2 also did not reboot from the update from 5.7 to 5.8. I tried to do a fresh install based on the 5.8 image, but that also does not work. I connected an HDMI cable, but the C2 does not give any output at all.

My Pi 4 wouldn’t be connected to after updating the OS. Initially it showed up in the router, but after a while it disappeared, so I’m thinking it might have been just a remnant. I pulled the plug and reinserted it a few times, to no effect. Here’s what worked for me:

1. Pulled the plug again
  2. Unplugged USB hub with Conbee stick and Ethernet cable
  3. Waited a while, still couldn’t connect (I’m not sure if it has any Wi-Fi credentials or not)
  4. Plugged the Ethernet cable back in
  5. Connected to my HTTPS DuckDNS as usual. Fixed!