Hassio official android app - can't enable push notifications

Hi all,
Is anyone using the official android app and finding that it’s not possible to enable push notifications in it? For the toggle remains disabled no matter what I do.

On a related note, I’m not finding any advantage using it over just using Chrome on my phone. I had hoped there might be a history of the push notifications I could scroll through in the app.

Will check if it behaves the same for me when I’m at home

The app has only been releases something like 2 weeks ago, features will be added gradually, e.g. in yesterday’s release they added location tracking and battery level report.

I don’t know if there is a history for push notifications in home assistant. What is your usecase for this?

Sorry I am probably expecting too much.
My particular use case is that I push an image from my CCTV camera when a person is recognised in the image. Currently they are dismissed as soon as you click on them on Android (you can’t open the image to examine it, clicking on it just takes you to hass.io)
It would be great to see the history of notifications as often you miss some when dismissing the notifications.

How about adding another action, which stores the picture somewhere, to the automation that sends the message?

I have the same issue with the push notifications, which did work via chrome (html5) before. That probably needs to be implemented separately via play services in the app and is not there yet atm.

What toggle? I can’t find any toggles in app settings.

The toggle is in your profile settings. It does not appear to be implemented in the Android app yet, nor are there any options under the “App Configuration” tab yet. The app is still pretty new so there will probably be some growth period while it is flushed out.

The Chrome app still works and currently supports the HTML5 push notifications as well as most of the features of the app (aside from location and battery level reporting, which was just added in the past few days). Personally I’ve found the HTML5 push notifications to be very unreliable and have had a lot more success with Telegram

Yes I’ll go back to Chrome for now, I too find HTML5 push unreliable on my phone but I think in my case it’s due to my Huawei phone’s aggressive power management routines. Works fine on my wife’s xiaomi phone.
I hope maybe the app may be able to work round this better than chrome but maybe not. Slack notifications seem to work fine so I’ll use that for now.

Well that has been there along time so I did not even give that a thought to be doing something for the app and I really hope it won’t. I really hope the will use the mobile_app notification as ariela do!

I can confirm that you can’t enable push notifications with the app yet.

Now available.

1 Like

Forgive the double post but I’ve followed the instructions in Push Notifications now available! but the push notifications app toggle switch is still disabled and I cannot receive push notifications. How do I enable it please?

You seem to be confused on the push notifications. The toggle you are referring to is in the USER page on HA. The app’s push notifications are in the “APP CONFIGURATION” page.

Thanks for the response but what I am seeing does not agree with you!

HA on windows 10…

HA app on Android, app configuration page…

User/profile page…

Sorry. I forgot that the option isn’t there.

It’s enabled by default. This has nothing to do with the HTML5 push notifications which you are seeing in the user/profile page.

Forget that HTML5 push notifs are a thing for this app. Just make sure you have mobile_app: in your configuration yaml.

Yep, that’s all there but still no app notifications, unless I am doing it wrong?

Works perfect for me.

hmm, ok. :confused:

got it working. not sure what I did specifically but I removed default_config in order to remove the map, logbook and history, put back the config items I do want/need and restarted HA and it’s working. Curious.

I don’t have default_config and have restarted many times. Still don’t receive anything on the phone.