Hassio wifi setup

Hi,

I just abandoned Homeassistant on Rasbian for a hassio (0.60) installation. It works good enough, but I cannot get the wifi to work.

I did not configure the wifi at installation but I’m trying to do it now following the instructions in HASS.IO - Wifi setup config file and https://docs.resin.io/deployment/network/2.x/ but it will just not work.

No connection at boot until I plug in the network connector, then everything works fine.

My resin-wifi.txt looks like this…

[connection]
id=akso
type=wifi

[wifi]
interface-name=eth0
hidden=false
mode=infrastructure
ssid=my-ssid

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=my-password

[ipv4]
method=auto
never-default=true
ignore-auto-routes=true
route-metric=2000

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

I have tried different setups but nothing works. Any ideas??

Cheers

1 Like

your wireless device will never be eth0

Aha :grimacing:

So what is the bare bone resin-wifi file I need to make it work running on a Raspi3 ? Just the bare necessities to make it work so can the bells and whistles be added later.

https://docs.resin.io/deployment/network/2.x/#wifi-setup

Been there, done that and got the T-shirt. That was where I started. Copied and pasted the text (again) and double checked the ssid and pw still no go.

Hassio is up and running without errors when I check the hassio supervisor logs. Samba is running.

I checked the logs in the router and there are no apparent errors

Hey @magher, I just did this same thing – added Wifi to a Hass.io setup that was previously hardwired. Make sure that your “id” in the resin-wifi file is “resin-wifi”. That id parameter has to match the name of the file, according to the docs. It looks like you had changed it to “akso”.

Yeah, I saw that when I copied the code again so it’s back to the original now. No change though :frowning:

Not sure if it makes any difference, but did you try without saving as .txt ?

I cant find the system-connections file on my hassio

Is the wifi is working for somebody ? Iam using Pi 3 and This New hassio 0.73.2

yes…working for me!

I struggled with it as well, but basically what you need to do is the following:

1. backup your old resin file on your pc
  2. format an USB stick and label it as “CONFIG” (that’s what I didn’t do in the first place, but that’s crucial).
  3. Create a folder “network” on the USB stick and place your resin file in this folder.
  4. Put USB stick in RPI and reboot.
  5. At that point, the file gets added to the RPI config and you can remove the USB stick.
1 Like

Ohhhh I missed USB stick, I copied to the same SD card.

Is that possible to set static WIFI IP ?

Thank you very much !!!

sure, replace the section in ipv4…Example is below. The RPI will get a fixed address of 192.168.0.100

[ipv4]
method=manual
address1=192.168.1.111/24,192.168.1.1
dns=8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4;

I have LAN DHCP in 192.168.1.1 If I want to use 192.168.1.190 fix IP how can I configure ? That is you advised is not working.

This is my config:

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[wifi]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=Roby

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=my_pw

[ipv4]
method=manual
address1=192.168.1.190/32,192.168.1.1
dns=8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4;

If I don’t have the old resin file is there someplace I can download a resin file?

In the manual there is a link to the following site, where you can find examples:
https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/rel-1/Documentation/network.md

You can copy the necessary text from the site and change wifi passwords and SSID. Paste that in a text file and save it on the USB stick in the network folder. After you have saved the file, make sure that you have removed any extensions (like .txt).

Not sure what I did wrong but I can’t even access ha anymore. Guess I will start over :frowning:

Not working with static IP :frowning:
Can somebody tell me where is stored the IP . I want to change it but I can not found.

Resolution !!! Thanks for your help !!!

Iam using pi 3+ and Hassio version: 0.73.1 64 bit OS
Iam tring to start the wifi without success. I did the following configuration.
Etcher flasher from windows.

Using windows OS

1. I using notepad++ I set the encoding to ANSI and set the line eding to UNIX. Also checked in hexa the file content the line ends with 0A hexa.
  2. format an USB stick and label it as “CONFIG” (that’s what I didn’t do in the first place, but that’s crucial).
    3 Create a folder “network” on the USB stick and place your resin file in this folder.
  3. Createing file hassos-wifi (with no extension)
  4. Adding the following data:

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[wifi]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=Roby

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=my_pw

[ipv4]
method=manual
address1=192.168.1.190/24,192.168.1.1
dns=8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4;

6 Put USB stick in RPI and reboot.
7 At that point, the file gets added to the RPI config and you can remove the USB stick.

3 Likes