HassOS Hanging on Boot: Stuck at "Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized"

Similar issue here, although I am running rpi3 from external ssd.

Recently desided to upgrade and was running fine for a week or so. Just this afternoon I noticed the house was non-responsive. After a power cycle it shows the above Wait Until Kernel Time Sync for about 2-3 minutes, then boots on, but does not aquire an IP, so cannot connect

Something buggy?

Hey folks,

it happened to me in the early days of july too.

My Hardware:
Raspberry Pi 4, 2 GB
Samsung Evo Plus 32 GB

Is there anything to do to prevent it from similar situations in the future?
What SD cards are know for living long using hassio?

For the record in my case the data partition was gone on my ssd. Connected a monitor and notice below error message during a reboot. Not sure why and how this happend, but anyway, I reflashed the drive and re-stored ha with the latest backup. Thank god for google backup! But everthing is back to normal and fast as ever for now.

I’m seeing this behavior running HassIO in a VM on a Synology Disktation.

Ideas?!?

I am seeing this also on my Synology NAS VM, but only when there is no internet connection. Boot only works, if I have internet connectivity…

Same here. My router was offline this morning and HA was unresponsive.
Even once LAN was back up, I still couldn’t access HA. Showing as offline
I had to use the CLI to get access to re-activate the network instance.

Once it was started I could get into HA and in Settings | System | Network
I could see my IP4 had been set to “Disabled” ?
Reset it back to DHCP (reserved IP) and it rebooted back up normally again

In case you’re wondering about the CLI commands
From HA > type:

login
nmcli
nmcli connection show
nmcli con edit "Supervisor eth0"  # or whatever your HA instance is called
save
activate
quit

It should pop back up on the network allowing you to change the IPV4 settings back to DHCP again

2 Likes

Curious how you were able to type commands into the cli? My HA instance is no longer connecting to my home network, but it’s booting up and showing the cli. I tried plugging the pi into my laptop via ethernet, but still not able to interact with it at all.

1 Like

I connected a keyboard and HDMI cable to the Pi.

Not sure if the terminal/display option would be available if it was on NAS/Docker. Should be available if VM tho.

Hi. I have this same problem suddenly. Rpi4 4gb. Using an SSD in supervised mode. Thanks for these commands, as I don’t have any under the hood knowledge. But, for others fyi, I needed to type

Save and then activate.

However, how do we fix the underlying root cause?
Thanks,
Neil

Update… I’ve opened this as an issue here: HassOS Hanging on Boot then no DHCP · Issue #1949 · home-assistant/operating-system (github.com)

2 Likes

No worries, I’m glad they were able to get you back up and running

I am running into this issue on fresh install do you know how I can get around it using the cli? Because I don’t have a login for the new instance yet

This few lines made my day.
After a shutdown my HA suddenly did not get an IP anymore (ProxmoxVM). After re-adding the ethernet connection and activating it I immediatly could connect again. Somebody should really investigate this further…

1 Like

Just wanna say thanks for this, had to create a new network profile and activate it.
My hass os running on tp430 randomly lost connection with ethernet or usb ethernet.

1 Like

Fwiw, I just checked the GitHub issue ( see link in post above). It hasn’t been assigned. Maybe if more of you comment on it??

I’m having this same issue running in Docker, so I think it’s unlikely that it’s only related to failing SD cards. Mine started happening randomly so I too have no recent backups.

Same problem with fresh install on proxmox with last version…

1 Like

Also same issue on proxmox

I have the same with the NUC image. It’s actually mindblowing that this issue is happening for several years and hasn’t been resolved yet… This is the main reason why a lot of people still don’t adopt HA IMO.

I don’t want to reinstall HA, then load up a snapshot in order to update to a newer OS. This is such bad customer experience…

3 Likes

I just had this issue after updating the operating system. The message to me was the clue that it was a network issue of some type. To me it could not get to the time servers. I never suspected the storage because the message and hang location was pointed right at a network issue.

I went to my firewall and found that some traffic was being blocked. I opened the ports that it needed and it started working.

So this really seams like a network issue that is specific to the individual setup. Mine was firewall related, others have seen their IPV4 turned off etc. Look at your network setup and make sure that you can get to your time servers through ping first then did deeper if you have to. There isn’t anything to fix that I can tell with home assistant as they can’t control end user setup.

I manually set the time and that was enough for my Pi to continue booting, then it synchronized again properly at the next reboot.

I believe the command was:

time -s “2022 09 08 19:34:21”

…or similar. I can’t find the post where I copied it, I’m afraid. Perhaps you’ll need to enter help time to get the correct syntax.