Help Needed: Cannot access Home Assistant via IP or http://homeassistant.local:8123 [Solved]

I have home assistant running wireless on a raspberry pi 4 from a micro sd

my router says its online with an IP of 10.0.0.220/24
I have the IP reserved on my router
URL seems normal: http://homeassistant.local:8123

from my desktop I can ping that IP address with stable response

desktop looks normal
Ive had a look at ha supervisor log and ha core log
nothing there that indicates it sees an attempt to connect

however whenever I try to connect I get a " homeassistant.local refused to connect." message when I attempt to connect.

I solved my last problem (connecting to wifi with nmcli device wifi connect “ssid” password ‘password’) earlier today but have been immediately stymied by this one

Any thoughts by anyone?
Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:
It now appears to be working after about 15 hours
A couple confusing things to keep in mind if anyone else runs into this situation

1. At least in my experience, at the initial startup, this could take a loooooong time - in my case it took at least several hours to get a web interface at all
  2. I have one tab on one browser spinning up with an onboarding URI 
 which I was waiting for. Decided to try another browser (based on suggestion here) and it appears ready to take in my information - If you are stuck on ‘Onboarding’ - give it some time and try with another tab or browser
  3. Add one more thing - the posters here are very good - if you get stuck on the ‘homeassistant.local:8123’ uri, try the IP:8123. I know that sounds obvious, but I didnt think of it and I had success on the one but not the other.

mDNS needs to be enabled on/across the network where devices are to the HA host and for the network that you are trying to connect from with your PC if different. This should allow for the translation of the HA IP address:8123 to homeassistant.local:8123. Your router should pick that info up and added to it’s local DNS cache.
Make sure you have it set in your network config, check Home Assistant URL and have Local Network set to Automatic.

Did you try http://10.0.0.220:8123 ?

Is there any particular reason why you are not using Ethernet? Wi-Fi generally are not recommended for Network Server type installations like this.

Have you checked that the IP you are trying to reach HA from is not banned by HA.
I had this case, that making tests on network issues with HA, my IP got banned and I couldn’t reached HA.
Have you tried to connect to HA from a different device?

I understand that.
I don’t have ethernet nearby in my particular situation

Is your logic security related or is it that you think the wifi is a bottleneck?

I just tried from a different browser
Interesting, now I get the onboarding screen.

I wonder if its possible that the wifi is just making it take so many hours to onboard.
I got the HomeAssistant connected to the network around 3 pm yesterday
its now 6:40 am - still looks like its stuck on the onboarding screen.

1 Like

Thank you for this, I did check the router for the configuration and it does seem to be normal. Also when I type the network command on the command line interface, it shows that its registered on the dns

What do you mean with “onboarding screen”?

The initial page that comes up when you first install Home Assistant is most likely what the OP is talking about.

If that is the case, I had a similar issue with the installation, it got stuck in initial “preparing” screen. The problem in my case was that the SD card had not enough capacity, and I had to use a bigger one. Maybe this could be the issue?

Yes, its basically a turning circle with an onboarding message
Nothing else

Well I did follow the recommended 64 G card
should be fine I think.

In any event, I have it working now.

Had the same problem where port 8123 didn’t respond while 4357 worked fine.
There are two ethernet ports on my mini-pc i use for ha. So my first thought was that some ha installation script mixed up those ethernet devices and wrote some wrong parameters into docker config. I have no idea how to exit ha cli and get into normal shell so I had try some other things. Like switching ethernet cable between ports with no effect, turning off ethernet in bios but sadly it doesn’t allow that, refreshing network setting with ha cli net command. Last thing that finally helped was switching cable to another port and reinstalling ha

I had a similar problem. All of a sudden I couldn’t connect to homeassist locally. The problem wasn’t the IP address, nor the IP reservation or DNS. a week ago I installed an antivirus which for some reason simply blocked the IP. so try to see if antivirus or firewall is causing the problem. Maybe that will help someone

Hello, I have the same problem. I can access the monitoring system at http://192.168.0.107:4357/, but I can’t access port 8123. I had the same issue before with a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 16GB SD card, and I solved it by reinstalling HA. Now I’m trying it from an old notebook to update it to server mode. It installed without problems, but two days later, I can no longer Access it.

Hi, here I come to update. I tried with different devices and confirmed that the issue lies with the old laptop because it works excellently on other laptops and a NUC PC. The problem is specific to that laptop. The strange thing is that it’s only with that one. When looking at the monitor, it seems like it’s not connecting to the network, but it actually does. The watchdod appears

I give up on this device. I hope this information is useful to you. Regards.

1 Like

What browser are you using on that specific laptop and do you have ad blockers ? Disable any browser extensions.

It is most likely software vs specific hardware issues.

Aquí tienes la traducción del texto al inglés:

Hello, the notebook I am using as a server is an old HP. I tried with 4 and 8 GB of RAM, but I am not sure about the processor or the model since I only have the motherboard and haven’t looked up the model.

I tried on another notebook, another HP, and it worked without problems. To connect, I tried from a Xiaomi 9c phone, a Samsung A20, a Lenovo X250 notebook, and an HP EliteBook, but I couldn’t connect. I am not using any blockers. Regards.

aaaaand I have this issue again.
I am not sure if it was a recent update or IP change but I am no longer able to access the home assistant URL, tried from pc and a smartphone.
it runs on according to console (virtualized on proxmox), has correct ip, subnet mask, gateway and DNS. from PC the homeassistant.local resolves to correct IP address.
I did core restart, host restart, nothing seems to work.
‘resolution info’ only shows that there is no full backup.
how can I troubleshoot this further please ?