Hildebrandglow - Smart Meters - SMETS2

Why must everything involving smart meters take 2-3 weeks? It’s a relatively new technology but it all just feels so clunky.

This setup works for me:

template:
  sensor:
    - name: Gas Consumption
      unit_of_measurement: 'm³'
      state: "{{ states('sensor.gas_consumption_today') | float * 3.6 / 40 / 1.02264 }}"
      icon: 'mdi:fire'
      state_class: total_increasing
      device_class: gas

And is bringing the data back correctly:

3 Likes

Given that no home wifi is needed for a smart meter, my guess is that the data-voles unionised so it takes a while for the reboot message to traverse the void and be processed. That or the entire network runs off some bloke with a repurposed licence fee detector van driving around the country broadcasting update messages.

Either seem equally likely to me!

1 Like

Confirmed working for me too.

Thanks to WhimsySpoon for pointing me here. Appreciated!

Got this setup - and now got Gas on Energy Dashboard but two quick queries…

And added a last_reset attribute with the value of 1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000+00:00 as a customization to that new entity. Thanks to @BertrumUK for the guidance.

What exactly is the steps for this? I’ve added the configuration yaml bit - all good, but not sure where this goes?

Also - Now have a new Gas sensor for total_increasing - but my electricity doesn’t have this total_increasing - do I need to setup a new electricity sensor?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Looks like the last_reset addition is no longer required! - Energy Management in Home Assistant - #801 by Mariusthvdb

You shouldn’t need to make any changes to add the Electricity reading. I use a Shelly EM rather than this integration, but I have noticed it already shows up in the config by default.

Perfect then - just waiting for the gas reading to start populating. Run a kitchen sink worth of hot water at lunch time to generate some usage :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

confirmed that this works for me also

Oldbloke

Has anyone elses stopped reporting consumption since around 10am today?

Data wasn’t in the bright app either but is now… reinstalled the integration and now i’m not getting a sensor at all :frowning:

Now i’m getting a reading which looks some what correct… why is it that i have had to delete and re-add the integration twice now? does anyone know? would it of evnetually come back by itself?

1 Like

Not sure why but this doesn’t work for me, I don’t get the option in the Energy to add.

I only just noticed mine was no longer working. It stopped sometime on the 7th, presumably at around the same time as yours. I had to remove the integration and re-add…

I’ve come up with my own solution which i’m now running along side this addon… that way i can see if they both stop at the same time, then it’s nothing to do with the addon.

if you’re interested it’s here : Glow2MQTT - Send data from Glowmarkt / Hildebrand (Bright app) to MQTT

1 Like

Hi, I’m with EON and using the Bright app to retrieve the meter readings. It’s working fine but on my smart meter (and same on the app) I can’t see the tariff I’m on so I can’t track my energy cost (despite the fact that on the smart meter I can see how much I spent every day/week/month/year).

Do I need to manually do all the calculation on HA?

I seem to having an issue where everytime I restart HA - the integration fails to authenticate (almost as if it’s lost my password) - and I have to remove the integration - re-add it - and then it’s fine - until the next time.

Anybody got any suggestions as to whats causing this ?

HA shows this -

Logger: homeassistant.components.sensor
Source: custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.py:36
Integration: Sensor (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 15:10:31 (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 16:23:19

Error while setting up hildebrandglow_dcc platform for sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.py”, line 33, in async_setup_entry
resources = await hass.async_add_executor_job(glow.retrieve_resources)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 52, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/glow.py”, line 78, in retrieve_resources
raise InvalidAuth
custom_components.hildebrandglow_dcc.glow.InvalidAuth

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 249, in _async_setup_platform
await asyncio.shield(task)
File “/config/custom_components/hildebrandglow_dcc/sensor.py”, line 36, in async_setup_entry
await Glow.handle_failed_auth(config, hass)
TypeError: handle_failed_auth() missing 1 required positional argument: ‘hass’

I’ve had exactly the same today.
Removing the integration, and re adding it cured it for me.
It appears the authentication fails for some reason. Re-adding the integration resets the authentication.
Maybe the code could recognise the error InvalidAuth and retry with the original credentials if this keeps re-occuring.

I’ve switched away from this integration now and am having much better results with a script i’ve written to utilist pyglowmarkt… the shell script doesn’t do anything clever it just allows you to runt he job on a cron easily.

When the integration is working, my script gives exactly the same results… and of course any issues with the data just not being available to glowmarkt cannot be overcome… BUT the authentication issue i seemed to be experiencing is gone as the script authenticates every time it pulls the data.

1 Like

Looking at the code, it does try to re authenticate. However the code calls Glow.handle_failed_auth, but the call is incorrect as is not a instantiated instance of the class. Hence the error about the missing hass parameter.

Not quite sure of how the fix this yet, maybe @HandyHat will have a view.

Perhaps handle_failed_auth should be a class method? Or does it need to operate on an instantiated object?

In case anyone’s mqtt data has stopped in the last hour it seems like there is a dos attack on the glow broker and has been turned off overnight , see here

1 Like

In situations like this then - do the people with the actual Glow IHD still keep getting data then (since the MQTT description seems to suggest that data is pulled directly from the IHD itself)… Or am i just deluded there?

I’m currently using @HandyHat integration. My data stopped coming through this evening, I guess because of the DOS attack mentioned above.

I notice that the sensors are setup for “usage today” so in a morning the dashboard would show a huge negative spike because the usage goes down to zero. I had just been fiddling in Node-RED to make it into an always increasing sensor that never resets, then all my data stopped coming in!

How is everyone else using this integration when it resets daily?