Hildebrandglow - Smart Meters - SMETS2

I have an issue in the Energy dashboard where the total daily gas figure is being added to the next days gas figures between 00:00 - 01:00. So on the 29th June I get the total gas consumption for the 28th June in the 00:00 - 01:00 column and then the hourly correct figures for the 29th June, resulting in roughly twice my gas consumption being shown ( see picture below - there should be no gas consumption between 00:00 - 01:00).

I’m going around in circles trying to work out what could be going wrong, as I setup the Hild MQTT sensors ages ago, and have forgotten where I got them from! Has anyone seen this? The actual smart meter display is showing the correct figures (without the previous days total being added).

hi there i have a EON SMETS2 meter and on the little device they gave me it shows the energy usage in real time of what the house is using.

I have registered and have the bright app installed and connected but it only shows data every 30mins?

Is there a way that i can locally tap into the realtime feed to update one of my tiles on home assistant - its quite handy to glance at so i can see what solar power is being generated and what the house is using.

Via this free integration, all you can get is data delayed 30 minutes, updated every 30.
You’ll need to buy a Glow device for real-time data.

@ColinRobbins thank you for the reply.

so all i need is this ? Display and CAD - Smart meters – Glow from Hildebrand (glowmarkt.com)

And then i can pull data off that unit every second ?

That is my understanding, but I do not have one, so cannot confirm. The 30 minute delayed data is sufficient for my needs.

I have that Glow Display and CAD device (SMETS2) and use local MQTT to integrate with Home Assistant:

The real-time readings are typically updated every 10-20 seconds for me.

1 Like

thanks i have it setup with MQTT

Not sure how I pull real time energy usage into the energy part of HA?

I have my Energy dashboard configured to use “Smart Meter Electricity: Import” as the “Consumed Energy (kWh)” and “Smart Meter Electricity: Cost (Today)” for “Use an entity tracking the total costs” - I haven’t verified the numbers but it seems to work, insofar as it populates the default “Energy usage” graph (after a couple of hours from first configured) and shows the Cost associated with the energy used.

Hi folks - just getting started, and wondered - is there any way to get the integration to report export as we as flow from the grid into the house?

This looks like an interesting development as a Glow alternative.

Until recently Chameleon only dealt with suppliers, but now they have introduced a retail IHD with the name ivie Bud at the price of £49.99 + delivery. Although not a CAD we have listed it here as it will work with the SmartThings Energy app in the future.

Read more at: Data from Smart Meters - The full story © SmartMe.co.uk

Does anyone know anything about it?

The “coming soon” smart things integration, suggests there is an API of some form. So a candidate for integration into HA.

To consume the Zigbee data, I drop this in config\packages\energy.yaml

input_number:
  home_gas_meter:
    name: Home Gas Meter
    min: 0
    max: 100000
    step: 0.0001
    unit_of_measurement: kWh
    mode: box
    icon: mdi:fire

home_electricity_meter:
    name: Home Electricity Meter
    min: 0
    max: 100000
    step: 0.0001
    unit_of_measurement: kWh
    mode: box
    icon: mdi:flash

automation:
  - id: update_gas_meter
    alias: Energy - Update Gas Meter
    trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id:
      - sensor.home_gas_meter
    condition:
    - condition: template
      value_template: '{{ ( states("sensor.home_gas_meter") | float > states("input_number.home_gas_meter") | float ) }}'
    action:
    - service: input_number.set_value
      data:
        value: '{{ states("sensor.home_gas_meter") | float }}'
      target:
        entity_id: input_number.home_gas_meter
    mode: single

- id: update_electricity_meter
    alias: Energy - Update Electricity Meter
    trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id:
      - sensor.home_electricity_meter
    condition:
      value_template: '{{ ( states("sensor.home_electricity_meter") | float > states("input_number.home_electricity_meter") | float ) }}'
      value_template: '{{ ( states("sensor.home_electricity_meter") | float < states("input_number.home_gas_meter") | float ) }}'
    action:
    - service: input_number.set_value
      data:
        value: '{{ states("sensor.home_electricity_meter") | float }}'
      target:
        entity_id: input_number.home_electricity_meter
    mode: single

sensor:
 - platform: mqtt
   unique_id: home_electricity_meter
   name: "Home Electricity Meter"
   state_topic: "SMART/HILD/YOURSERIAL"
   unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
   device_class: energy
   state_class: total_increasing
   value_template: "{{ [ states('input_number.home_electricity_meter') | float, value_json['elecMtr']['0702']['00']['00']|int(base=16) * value_json['elecMtr']['0702']['03']['01']|int(base=16) / value_json['elecMtr']['0702']['03']['02']|int(base=16) ] | max }}"
   icon: 'mdi:flash'

unique_id: home_gas_meter
   name: "Home Gas Meter"
   unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
   device_class: energy
   state_class: total_increasing
   value_template: "{{ [ states('input_number.home_gas_meter') | float, value_json['gasMtr']['0702']['00']['00']|int(base=16) * value_json['gasMtr']['0702']['03']['01']|int(base=16) / value_json['gasMtr']['0702']['03']['02']|int(base=16) ] | max }}"
   icon: 'mdi:fire'

unique_id: home_current_electricity_usage
   name: "Home Current Electricity Usage"
   state_class: measurement
   unit_of_measurement: 'W'
   value_template: "{{ value_json['elecMtr']['0702']['04']['00']|int(base=16) }}"
   icon: 'mdi:speedometer'

unique_id: home_current_gas_usage
   name: "Home Current Gas Usage"
   state_class: measurement
   unit_of_measurement: 'W'
   value_template: "{{ value_json['gasMtr']['0702']['04']['00']|int(base=16) }}"
   icon: 'mdi:speedometer'

- platform: integration
   unique_id: home_total_gas_usage
   name: "Home Total Gas Usage"
   source: sensor.home_current_gas_usage
   method: left

- platform: integration
   unique_id: home_total_electricity_usage
   name: "Home Total Electricity Usage"
   source: sensor.home_current_electricity_usage
   method: trapezoidal

Then reference it in configuration.yaml like so

homeassistant:
  packages: !include_dir_named packages

I added some logic to try resolve some dirty data coming from Glow, where the Gas and Electricity meters will sometimes swap for some reason. It’s not perfect yet, but should be a decent starting point.

2 Likes

did you get this sorted? seeing the same thing…

Unfortunately not I think.

My understanding is that the bright app is tapping into the data that your meter is transmitting to your energy supplier via the network. As it only does this a maximum of every 30 mins, that’s as detailed as you’ll get using this method.

I have resisted getting a smart meter installed, as I can see development in other countries and the way they charge the user by when they use energy during the day, and not the “normal” way we get charged here in the UK… No doubt this hour by hour charging is coming to the UK soon…

Anyway, with something like the Hildebrand integration in HA I would be prepared to get one installed, if only for the stats in HA. :slight_smile:

Anyway, having read through this thread there seems to be problems with data not being available all the time, down time of the API, wrong data being sent, etc…

So my question if, is this something that is mature enough to get? Does it work?

I’m not sure if I’d get a better experience using the Hildebrand hardware but I find using the API is very patchy in terms of reliability.

The free Glow API is unreliable (HA has to use it in a sub optional way).
The Octpus API seems reliable, but the data has a 24 hour delay built in, which does not work well in HA.
Some have found success with the Hildebrand hardware/MQTT, but I’ve not tried it.
If you only want to monitor electric, then a Shelly is worth consideration.

The main issue is smart metering was set up as a closed system, so consumers cannot easily get at their own data, instead relying on commercial services - and so far these services are not meeting the needs of the home automation market.

I have been using the Hildebrand IHD for 18 months, first using their MQTT feed, and in the last few months, a local MQTT feed from the IHD.

There were times when the Hildebrand MQTT feed would fail, due to some hardware issues on their side, but the local MQTT feed is rock solid.

4 Likes

As noted earlier in this thread, I use this Glow Hildebrand Display/CAD (SMETS2) for getting my electricity meter readings into HA:

I set it up via local MQTT back in June and it’s been working great - I haven’t noticed any issues in those ~5 months and looking at it now in HA the meter reading seems to update at least once every 30 seconds (typically once every 10-20 seconds).

Hi all,

I recently installed the DCC fork as i dont have the Glow CAD. I have the IHD provided by Schneider electric (with the wiser thermostat). Anyway, all linked to glow, the integration installed via HACS and working with 30 min or so updates. However, i cant get gas consumption into the energy dashboard…

It says no matching statistic found when trying to add a gas source:

However under devices its happily tracking gas usage…

There is an issue in 2022.11 that means “energy” devices don’t show up in the gas dashboard.

Unfortunately we just have to wait for that to be fixed. It looks like a minor tweak, but just got to wait for someone to action it.

1 Like