Home Assistant Community Add-on: AdGuard Home

Ok. After hours of searching I will try to sum up where I believe is the problem.
1st) I have a NUC and I have static IP through my router. I guess I should have it through the NUC. I don’t know how to do that since there is no “import from USB” in the system tab. Probably the instructions are only applied to RPI.
2nd) I might have damaged the DNS and that’s why I can’t install any add-on. Again I don’t know how to change it. Maybe it is linked with the 1st issue.
3rd) I don’t know how and where to run the command “hassio su repair” (or something like that which I don’t remember exactly now), which could probably repair the DNS issue.

That’s all I can think of so far!

I was able to solve my problem. In the AdGuard Settings for Encryption you can check the option to redirect to HTTPS automatically. Don’t do it. After I checked this I was no longer able to enter the settings page. So I had to uninstall and reinstall. After enabling the encyption without checking the automatic redirect everything is working.

@frenck This add-on is great! Thanks for this. I did have one feature request which I added to github repo about being able to use the DoH options for outside the network connections but its not a huge deal. Was really easy to get set up for my local network and have all DNS go through it.

One thing I couldn’t figure out though, is there a guide or something for setting it so that Home Assistant uses the add-on directly for all DNS queries? By default my router tells all devices on my network to send DNS queries to it which I then redirect back to the AdGuard add-on. And while this works I’d like to shortcut it and simply have my Home Assistant instance send all DNS queries directly to the add-on.

Are there instructions for doing this? I set my Pi device to use the add-on for DNS and I tried using the CLI and changing it with ha dns options --servers 127.0.0.1. I see that dns server in the list now but it still seems to be sending everything through my router. Is there a different way to do this?

Ah, I figured it out. I was looking at the details for the wireguard add on and it mentioned how to set up the DNS configuration if you use the adguard add on too, same 172 value worked here too. Still getting used to docker, forgot you have to use the IPs it gives out in these situations not the ones I’m used to.

Now it’s time to investigate wireguard!

FYI since I cant install any add-on now, it is general problem that I have and so I created new topic here.

:tada: Release v2.3.2

Full Changelog

This is a general maintenance release.

:hammer: Changes

• :arrow_up: Upgrades nginx to 1.16.1-r6
  • :books: Update add-on documentation to use new YAML configuration format
  • :hammer: Update add-on config with new password & list features
  • :hammer: Updates for upstream Supervisor changes
  • :hammer: Re-branding
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades add-on base image to v7.0.2
  • :hammer: Update community forum links

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work:
https://github.com/sponsors/frenck or https://patreon.com/frenck

1 Like

can anyone provide more info/details about what i need to do to get this set up…

Ensure your Home Assistant device has a static IP and static external DNS servers! This is important! You WILL end up having issues if you skip this step. Also, please note, setting a fixed IP in your router is NOT static.

i dont really know how to do this, and all the link provided says is this:

[ipv4]
method=manual
address=192.168.1.111/24;192.168.1.1
dns=8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4;

which also doesnt mean a great deal to me.

id like to be able to use this add on, but no idea how to get it up and running.

im running HA on an old laptop via docker with USG router if that helps

I don’t want to be a bad or rude person or something, but if you don’t know what to do with that requirement, than you probably should not use this add-on.

2 Likes

ok, i guess ill have to skip this one until my skills get up to scratch

Since using the AdGuard Addon it’s not possible to access local dns addresses like fritz.box i.e., in Pihole there was a so called Option „Conditional Forwarding“ Is this also available within AdGuard?

I’ve added my Home Assistant FQDN into “Settings - Filters - Custom filtering rules”, like @@||hostname.zapto.org^

Is that your problem as well ?

Tripped over this as in my previous Pi-Hole standalone instance I had added an entry in the hosts file to point the domain name to an internal IP

Add in a DNS rewrite (not the most intuitive name for it)

with the domain name you use and the IP address.

Just installed this add-on following a conversation with @frenck. I am trying to use DoH. If I enable the encryption;

I get this error

Also the notes say it will listen for DoH but does it submit upstream requests over DoH and if so on what port?

Further down it asks for certificate paths. What would the correct path for these be inside the add-on?

Fixed with „DNS rewrites“

In case anyone comes across this, the answer is blindingly simple. Under the DNS settings, when specifying the upstream DNS, if you specify one as https AdGuard then does all requests over that DoH resolver.

:man_facepalming:

The lower ‘bootstrap’ setting is the DNS server used by AdGuard to find the IP of the specified upstream DNS resolver.

If you want to see this for yourself, install tshark and run this command while restarting the add-on and other than some internal docker queries, you will just see entries relating to the DoH resolver domain. For any other machine you will see incoming queries but no outgoing one on port 53.

sudo tshark -i any -f "src port 53" -n -T fields -e frame.time -e ip.src -e ip.dst -e dns.qry.name

Quite brilliant.

Is anyone else having this error when running AdGuard

INFO (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Fetch update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
20-03-04 19:28:56 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Can't fetch versions from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json: Cannot connect to host version.home-assistant.io:443 ssl:None [Try again]

in another post got this issue with PiHole Cannot connect to host version.home-assistant.io:443

I’m experiencing the same issue. After disabling the AdGuard module the hassio.updater can fetch new versions again.

This is caused by skipping the first step of the add-on installation guide. Please made sure you followed that.

yes, figured it out, but I am not sure how to set an static ip and external dns under Hass.io on Synology DSM (native package)

maybe anyone can help me out, please?

I’d ask as a separate question so it doesn’t pollute this thread. Of course “Google is your friend”. Try a search on “synology dsm static ip”.