Home Assistant Community Add-on: Bitwarden RS

This add-on is provided by the Home Assistant Community Add-ons project.

Open source password management solution.

About

Bitwarden is an open-source password manager that can store sensitive information such as website credentials in an encrypted vault.

The Bitwarden platform offers a variety of client applications including a web interface, desktop applications, browser extensions and mobile apps.

This add-on is based upon the lightweight and opensource Bitwarden RS implementation, allowing you to self-host this amazing password manager.

Password theft is a serious problem. The websites and apps that you use are under attack every day. Security breaches occur and your passwords are stolen. When you reuse the same passwords everywhere hackers can easily access your email, bank, and other important accounts. USE A PASSWORD MANAGER!

Installation

The installation of this add-on is pretty straightforward and not different in comparison to installing any other add-on.

1. Search for the “Bitwarden RS” add-on in the add-on store and install it.
  2. Start the “Bitwarden RS” add-on.
  3. Check the logs of the “Bitwarden RS” add-on to see if everything went well and to get the admin token/password.
  4. Click the “OPEN WEB UI” button to open Bitwarden RS.
  5. Add /admin to the URL to access the admin panel, e.g., http://hassio.local:7277/admin. Log in using the admin token you got in step 4.
  6. The admin/token in the logs is only shown until it is saved or changed.
    Hit save in the admin panel to use the randomly generated password or change it to one of your choosing.
  7. Be sure to store your admin token somewhere safe.

:books: Please read the documentation for more information about the use and configuration of this add-on.

Support

You can always try to get support from the community here at the Home Assistant community forums, join the conversation!

Questions? You have several options to get them answered:

You could also open an issue on GitHub, in case you ran into a bug, or maybe you have an idea on improving the addon:

:information_source: At this moment our Home Assistant Community Add-ons Discord chat server and GitHub are our only official support channels. All others rely on community effort.

Repository on GitHub

Looking for more add-ons?

The primary goal of our add-ons project is to provide you (as an Hassio / Home Assistant user) with additional, high quality, add-ons that allow you to take your automated home to the next level.

Check out some of our other add-ons in our Home Assistant Community Add-ons project.

5 Likes

About the author of this add-on

Hi there!

I am Franck Nijhof, and I have 30 years of programming experience, in many languages. I am using this experience to work on the Home Assistant project by giving back my knowledge and time to the open source community.

The add-on you are currently looking at right now was developed/packaged by me. It is not the only add-on I have created; there are many many more :wink:

However, I have a problem… I am an addict. A :coffee: addict that is. Lucky for you, I turn that C8H10N4O2 (caffeine molecule) into code (and add-ons)!

If you want to show your appreciation, consider supporting me for buying a cup of high octane wakey juice via one of the platforms below! :heart:

Sponsor Frenck via GitHub Sponsors

Support Frenck on Patreon

Enjoy your add-on, while I enjoy the brain juice. :coffee:

Thanks for all the :two_hearts:

…/Frenck

Join our Discord server Follow me on Twitter Flollow me on Instragram Follow me on GitHub Follow me on YouTube Follow me on Twitch patreon-icon

P.S.: In case you want to ask me a question: AMA (Ask Me Anything). Most of the time I am online at the Discord chat. (I go by @Frenck in there as well).

1 Like

:tada: Release v0.1.0

Initial release.

1 Like

Thanks, works great!

Thinking about switching from 1password 7 to Bitwarden.

Nice Frenck!

Buy, if you host this localy on a pi, a backup is created on their cloud.
Why host this localy and not directly on their cloud?

EDIT:
Going to try it :slight_smile:
If the Azure servers are blown away you still have your own passwords…
And if your pi crashes and the snapshots are corrupt or something, you still have the cloud.

Going to try it!

1 Like

I don’t think so. This add-on does not run Bitwarden, but it runs Bitwarden RS. I highly doubt Bitwarden would grand access to their servers to a third party…

So for me, it did not work with ssl set to false.
I could not create a new user then as the dialog would not disappear. .

With ssl enabled I was able to create a user.

As far as the usage goes, the chrome extension works fine, but the Android app does not connect. Presumably due to the self-signed SSL certificates.

Did anyone else manage to do this?

I ran into the same issue.

Is there a hass addon that can get us an acceptable ssl certificate without port forwards.

Hi @jo-me and @silfa718,
I am running the addon behing the NGINX SSL Manager, and so far I didn’t encounter any problems.
The addon is running well, on the web as well with the chrome extension and the android app.

The addon uses the Lets Encrypt certificate from hassio as it seems. But since I’m accessing it via the internal hostname or IP, ther cert is not valid of course.

I tried to export the SSL cert from the browser and import it on my Android phone, but the app still would not connect.

It could also be related to this issue:
https://github.com/bitwarden/mobile/issues/346

Too bad they didn’t add a “ignore SSL error” switch in their app. If you host it yourself in your home you would certainly not expose it to the internet…

I use the android app without SSL using the internal IP address and port of my server.

Ok good to know.
However, password managers with unencrypted connections aren’t exactly what you’d recommend.

True, but to use SSL, I would need to root my phone (to edit the host file), which I would rather not do just for that. And I much prefer unencrypted inside my home network to exposing 443 to the world.

I initially thought it may be possible to add the certificate to the phones trust store.
But I think in my case I have a valid cert from a trusted CA but the host name is wrong. So adding the cert would not make a difference.

Maybe if I’d create a new self signed cert for the host and used that for the addon add that to the trust store it would be a different case.

I hoped that the creator of the addon had tested the ask scenario…

Is it possible to disable new user function in this addon?

@plantoschka take a look at the admin panel of bitwarden rs…

1 Like

how do i set up the chrome ext? and the ios or mac app? do i just need to set my self hosted server url? and to what address? thanks.

currently i have it pointed to my duckdns external address, should it be my internal address or nabucasa address?

Edit: ive got this all setup now im just wondering what the best way to backup bitwarden data is? is it included in snapshots?

How to get the admin key?
It is not shown in the log anymore. Only the first time or something like that?

I only see:
[2019-06-04 12:16:31][launch_][INFO] secret key: provided

And that is not a valid key :wink:

@Jelte it will show the admin key on each startup in the beginning. That piece of log is already way passed it.

It will keep showing it on each startup/restart, until one has logged in once. As per documentation:

:tada: Release v0.1.1

Full Changelog

This release is a generic update release.

:hammer: Changes

• :arrow_up: Upgrades Bitwarden RS to 1.9.1
  • :arrow_up: Upgrades add-on base image to 3.1.2

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work: https://patreon.com/frenck