Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye

I have been struggling with a stupid SMB issue for a while now. The settings seem to work and motionEye creates the folder on the share drive but will not actaully let it mount.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! I try to install motioneye at HA but befor this I see window where I should input my information. But I always get unexpected_error. How can I understand what does it mean?

Hi @dmitriypo1989
have you solved?
I had integrated it but I no longer remember what I had entered in the URL, so I tried to integrate it again but it gives me the same error.

Hi there
I am struggeling with the Media-Browser integration.
I can see all the recorded Iterms in the Media Browser. But i cant open them. The link to open them seems to be not valid.
The link for a Snapshot looks like this.
ā†’ http://127.0.0.1:28765/picture/2/download/2022-01-17/15-23-55.jpg?_username=user&_signature=d3095d54a99e389f21aabe52561ef02b2b4c052e

Homeassistant itself is available via HTTPS on Port 443.

edit: On the Samba Share i can browse all the snapshots.

Has someone an idea whats wrong with it?
Thanks for every help!

Iā€™m experiencing the same thing. Have you found a solution?

I searched in the discord server and found this workaround! I tried it and it defo works. It created a new folder for ā€œmotioneyeā€ in the regular ā€œLocal Mediaā€ folder that mirrors the one from the addon.

cd /media
ln -s /share/motioneye motioneye

3 Likes

This one works for me like a charm.
I dont know for shure if this link stays valid after a reboot?

Thanks @teachingbirds for sharering this!

@frenck maybe there is a possibility to get this fixed, that also the ā€œMotionEye Mediaā€-Addon Source will work to display screenshots.

Came here to say Iā€™m also having an issue with the motionEye Media folder in Media Browser. Adding the same folder to Local Media works as expected.

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. But in my ongoing saga of trying to get stable camera feeds into HA, I have moved to MotionEye. However, it seems to be murdering my WiFi.

I have about 12 wyze cams around my house, they have never caused any wifi congestion for my unifi AP6-lite. I had been using them with an android VM running tinycam server. This worked pretty well other than the VM not being very stable and needing reset a lot.

I then tried flashing one of the cameras with the RSTP firmware and directly connecting it to HA. This worked well except caused a long delay in the camera feed and also did not provide any still image previews.

I then tried MotionEye, and it worked great. I was able to add that camera over UDP and it automatically added them to HA and was fairly real-time and had nice image snapshot support etc. So I made the choice to flash all 12 cameras with the firmware and move completely to motioneye.

When I was finished I noticed a large portion of my IOT things not responding via wifi. Garage offline, apple tv offline etc. Pulling up my unifi network dashboard showed my wifi ā€œexperienceā€ dropped from 98% to 60%. I then noticed that all 12 cameras where attempting to stream several Mbps.

So I went back to motioneye and turned off motion monitoring, and any other setting I could think of to prevent all the cameras from feeling like they needed to stream. Nothing seemed to be fixing it, I could no longer connect to the cameras or pretty much any other wifi device. I turned off motioneye and rebooted my AP and things went back to normal. Turning motioneye back on, almost immediately destroyed my wifi again. I quickly turned motion eye back off and noticed all 12 cameras still streaming full throttle. Android server was powered off, phone and PC not connected to them. It was almost like motioneye requested a UDP stream and even after no longer requesting it, the cameras didnā€™t know it stopped and continued to try to send a stream.

This is all very puzzling to me.

1. Why did it hurt the wifi in the first place. I have been able to watch all the streams simultaneously via tinycam server in the past with no noticeable impact to wifi?

2. Why is motioneye asking for feeds even when no one is requesting a camera, and motion monitoring is off?

3. Is 12 cameras just too much for it to handle?

4. Has anyone used a cluster of wyze cams with motioneye?

5. Am I doing something wrong?

6. Is there another solution I should try?

My goal is to just see a preview of each camera and then tap on one to see the feed, I have no need to watch them all real-time at the same time.

Iā€™m or an expert, and Iā€™m not trying to be snarky so please donā€™t take it this that wayā€¦ my guess is MotionEye is meant as a pvr, so even if no one else is requesting a stream and motion detection is off, the software is still going to pull a stream with the idea that it needs to be buffered or recordedā€¦ I know a lot of people drop thier camera on a dedicated wifi network to help with things like thisā€¦ best of luck.

Hi All

Iā€™m trying to add more camera to Motioneye but unable to do so. Looking thru the logs, canā€™t find anything but the error below. Any ideas?

/bin/sh: lsb_release: not found
Cannot open device /dev/video0, exiting.

Also, one of cameras is not displaying any stream w/ error below

WARNING: mjpg client connection for camera 3 on port 8083 is closed

1 Like

@MrKuenning
I am not running 12 Cams via motionEye, but running two ot them.
My setup is like this.

• 2 Smartphones with IPWebcam App
  • motionEye as AddOn in HASSOS.
  • Unifi Controller and Unifi APs for Wlan

I can confirm, both Devices are streaming all the time. In my case there are almost 100GB per Device per day. Maybe 12 Cams are to much.

I installed the addon and Iā€™m trying to change the empty password for the administrator in the addon, but it is not saved and remains empty for the next login, so I canā€™t set up the integration.

My integration works. I believe the integration assumes you already have a motioneye ā€œserverā€ already set up with an admin password assigned. I think thereā€™s a motioneye addon that allows you to set up a new motioneye server within Home Assistant. I chose to add the integration because Iā€™d already spent the time to setup all the cameras. Hopefully this helps you.

It might be the ā€œintegrationā€ vs. ā€œadd-onā€ question in home assistant. Iā€™m pretty new to HA so Iā€™m not exactly sure of the official explanation.

Hello,

I apologize in advance as Iā€™m sure this has been solved somewhere (probably even in this thread) but for the life of me, I cannot find it.

The stream preview is broken for my camera entity in HA, and is generating a 502 error when I attempt to navigate to the preview link. Everything else is working fine. I assume itā€™s related to my SSL/TLS and/or Nabu Casa. But, instead of continuing to beat my head against the wall without any results I decided to finally just ask.

Thanks!

2 of 3 cameras are not showing up in ME. I can view from my camera app and I double checked the RTSP info is correct. any suggestions?

One of mine also stopped showing recently, and I havenā€™t found a way of getting the stream back. RTSP url is working fine.

Guys, is this addon also supporting an v4l2 loopback device?

https://motion-project.github.io/motion_config.html

because on classic installs, you need to ā€œmodprobe v4l2loopbackā€
Not sure if this addon can do that ?

Hello!
First of all, thank you for this great addon! Another success for the Home Assistant team!
I have a raspberry pi 4 running Hassio and one 5Mp IP camera connected to it. Motion detection and storing still images from motion detected is already taking all my swap file and memory useā€¦ I wanted to get 3 other similar cameras connected to the same RPi but from my understanding, it wonā€™t be powerful enough. Isnā€™t it? What do you advice?