Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye

A Pi can handle one maybe two cameras with a low resolution or low framerate. That is where it ends. A Pi is a tiny computer with limited resources.

You could look into Frigate, which can handle a little more on the same Pi in general, but does have similar limitations (the Pi isn’t going to be bigger :man_shrugging: )

…/Frenck

Does anyone using this Add-on know if it is possible to actually control the camera device on / off with this Add-on. I see it is possible to enable/disable motion capture but am wondering if there is the ability to actually control this part of the interface.

Thank you, that’s actually quite clear! What would be the ideal architecture to support three outdoor security cameras with online notifications and local alert photo and video storage?

add-ons in our Home Assistant Community Add-ons

@frenck let me know if you have some good tips for a good architecture to handle three high quality security cameras with online notifications and local alert photo and video storage :slight_smile:
Thank you so much

I feel stupid but i can´t star the motion eye add-on. I´m running “Home Assistant 2022.9.7
Supervisor 2022.09.1 Operating System 9.0 Frontend 20220907.2 - latest”

When i start the add-on, after few seconds the the start button returns.

My log is:
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc…exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms…exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes…
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts…
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing…

Add-on: motionEye
Simple, elegant and feature-rich CCTV/NVR for your cameras

Add-on version: 0.18.0
You are running the latest version of this add-on.
System: Home Assistant OS 9.0 (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
Home Assistant Core: 2022.9.7
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2022.09.1

Please, share the above information when looking for help
or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.

[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing…
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] motioneye.sh: executing…
backing up /data/motioneye/motioneye.conf
[cont-init.d] motioneye.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: executing…
[cont-init.d] nginx.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[17:36:50] INFO: Starting motionEye…
INFO: hello! this is motionEye server 0.42.1
INFO: cleanup started
INFO: wsswitch started
INFO: tasks started
INFO: mjpg client garbage collector started
INFO: smb mounts started
INFO: server started
[17:36:52] INFO: Starting NGinx…
[17:36:52] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.

The motion eye sidebar cant display becaause the add-on isn´t running

What can i do?

The addon is running. What do you see on the addon info page?

“The add-on isn’t running. Please start it”

The log says it is running. Please try rebooting your machine. There has been an issue described lately where addons aren’t starting and a reboot fixes it. Can’t find the thread right now sorry.

i rebooted my ystem but the problem it´s the same.

I have duckdns access with ssl. The 2nd last log line is “Starting NGinx…”. A problem with ssl configuration perhaps?

Thanks

That is a correct log result.

After two days the add on starts to run. Now everything ok.

Thanks for your support.

Oh great @frenck thanks for all that you do!

What is the future of this great add-on? I only ask because of the concurrent motioneye integration.

I am currently running both integration and add-on. Is this problematical? Should I just run the add-on?

I’m currently troubleshooting motion sensing in an environment with complicated lighting changes and want make sure I’m starting with an optimal set up.

Does clicking "apply"ensure changes made in the settings are applied or should I restart the add-on. Sorry probably a stupid question.

The add-on is a way of easily running motion-eye on the same device as home assistant. The integration is how motion-eye, whether running as an add-on, or installed by any other method, provides camera feeds and events etc to home assistant. You need both.

1 Like

I’m having issues running the add-on after a reboot of the server. I’m getting an error in the log saying “media directory “/var/lib/motioneye” does not exist or is not writable.” When I look in this location in the docker container the directory is not present. I can create it but when I restart the add-on the directory is gone again. This add-on was previously working no problem.

Any ideas?

hello, i have an external ipcamera at 1440p and i would like to have a zoomed image.
I tried to insert parameters in the configuration, but perhaps the syntax is not correct.

cam

What are the parameters for enlarging the image?

Hi,

I was trying to find out whether a configured network camera is TCP or UDP as i’m getting a lot of glitched images, even with a low quality 640px 4fps subfeed. Couldn’t find it. I used the export config, but it is nowhere to be found there either, although such selection is requested when setting up the camera the first time.

• Any one knows how to find this?

Also, I saw that the original motionEye project is not updated for more than 2 years. There’s a dev version for python 3 in the works, but not official yet. The underlying ‘motion’ project has since been severaly updated.

• Any plans on how to continue for motioneye official addon support if the underlying project is not updated?

Thanks,

I am trying to modify my main css file for motioneye after its already installed in HA. Can someone help direct me to how to login and make a few small changes?

With the add-on you can’t do that. If you want to go that path you need to install motionEye or create your own add-on.

…/Frenck

I’m trying to add a Raspberry Zero W camera with latest MotionEye on it to HA, but the add integration panel gives me an “Unexpected error” or “Unknown error occurred” after a long wait. The camera up and running, I can see it in my browser on its IP address.

What could I try to make it work?