Home Assistant Community Add-on: Plex Media Server

This add-on is provided by the Home Assistant Community Add-ons project.

GitHub Release GitLab CI Project Stage Project Maintenance

Supports armhf Architecture Supports armv7 Architecture Supports aarch64 Architecture Supports amd64 Architecture Supports i386 Architecture

plex

About

Your recorded media, live TV, online news, and podcasts, beautifully organized and ready to stream.

The plex add-on brings your favorite media together in one place, making it beautiful and easy to enjoy. The Plex Media Server provided by this addon, organizes your personal video, music, and photo collections and streams them to all of your devices.

Installation

The installation of this add-on is pretty straightforward and not different in comparison to installing any other add-on.

1. Search for the “Plex Media Server” add-on in the add-on store and install it.
  2. Surf to https://www.plex.tv/claim and get your claim token.
  3. Update the add-on config with the claim code you’ve got in the previous step.
  4. Save the add-on configuration.
  5. Start the “Plex Media Server” add-on.
  6. Check the logs of the “Plex Media Server” to see if everything went well.
  7. Login to the Plex admin interface and complete the setup process.

NOTE: When adding media locations, please use /shares as the base directory.

:books: Please read the documentation for more information about the use and configuration of this add-on.

Support

You can always try to get support from the community here at the Home Assistant community forums, join the conversation!

Questions? You have several options to get them answered:

You could also open an issue on GitHub, in case you ran into a bug, or maybe you have an idea on improving the addon:

:information_source: At this moment our Home Assistant Community Add-ons Discord chat server and GitHub are our only official support channels. All others rely on community effort.

Repository on GitHub

Looking for more add-ons?

The primary goal of our add-ons project is to provide you (as an Hassio / Home Assistant user) with additional, high quality, add-ons that allow you to take your automated home to the next level.

Check out some of our other add-ons in our Home Assistant Community Add-ons project.

4 Likes

About the author of this add-on

Hi there!

I am Franck Nijhof, and I have 30 years of programming experience, in many languages. I am using this experience to work on the Home Assistant project by giving back my knowledge and time to the open source community.

The add-on you are currently looking at right now was developed/packaged by me. It is not the only add-on I have created; there are many many more :wink:

However, I have a problem… I am an addict. A :coffee: addict that is. Lucky for you, I turn that C8H10N4O2 (caffeine molecule) into code (and add-ons)!

If you want to show your appreciation, consider supporting me for buying a cup of high octane wakey juice via one of the platforms below! :heart:

Sponsor Frenck via GitHub Sponsors

Support Frenck on Patreon

Enjoy your add-on, while I enjoy the brain juice. :coffee:

Thanks for all the :two_hearts:

…/Frenck

Join our Discord server Follow me on Twitter Flollow me on Instragram Follow me on GitHub Follow me on YouTube Follow me on Twitch patreon-icon

P.S.: In case you want to ask me a question: AMA (Ask Me Anything). Most of the time I am online at the Discord chat. (I go by @Frenck in there as well).

This is interesting, i just installed it, as mentioned its not a good idea for pi users, otherwise it would have been more fun if we could mount a share and use that as a source, thanks for the addon @frenck

Thanks, @Prathik_Gopal!

Both limitations you’ve mentioned are also documented in the add-on documentation. The Pi processing power is limited, therefore, installing loads of add-ons is not recommended, nor are video transcoding add-ons (like this one and Shinobi for example).

Nevertheless, there are some interesting use cases, that made me decide to release it for ARM-based devices (which includes the Pi’s). You still could do:

• Stream videos that do not require transcoding on capable clients (so it becomes a pass-through).
  • Use it for podcasts, photos or music.
  • Sync your photos from your mobile.

This listing above is still pretty valuable, even on a Pi. But yes, let us be honest here, this add-on makes a ton more sense for the Generic Linux or Intel NUC Hassio user.

Mounting external drives or network shares is a limitation by Hass.io at this moment. Mainly on the ResinOS based devices (downloaded images flashed on SD-cards for e.g., Pi’s). Generic Linux users could simply mount volumes or network shares into the /shares/ folder to expose this extra storage space to the add-on.

1 Like

yep, for now im using it like you mentioned as a photo share-works great :slight_smile: im planning to switch to a laptop instead of a Pi3 as yourself to utilize all add-ons more effectively :+1:

Why do I want this? The about section just describes Plex. Can you tell us what this does? It can’t be plex because I already have that and I don’t have this addon.

Ohhh… This literally is Plex. LoL. Sorry, I was expecting some kind integration. Oops.

3 Likes

I’m sorry this is not what you expected. Nevertheless, the topic title is pretty clear on being an Hass.io add-on, is printed pretty large in the header as well, is in the Hass.io sub-forum and was tagged with the right tags as well.

Not sure how this could be confusing.

1 Like

I think they were expecting a hassio integration for an existing Plex Media Server so you could control your Plex server through hassio, versus adding the actual server itself to your hassio installation. It is definitely clear that this is a hassio addon.

In that case… keep watching the forums or my Twitter… you might be surprised… soon… :wink:

3 Likes

I may have to try out this hassio thing on my linux server

Hi Frenck, great work. I saw that on github the url to receive the claim code is wrong. It has the plex.com in it and not the plex.tv

1 Like

Thanks for the report! Will adjust that!

Hi,
is it possible to mount a network drive in Hassio?

p.s. Thanks for the Add-on! :slight_smile:

You’ve quoted the answer… right?!

Frenck, sorry for my English
it was a question :slight_smile: I do not know how to mount a network drive in Hassio (

:tada: Release v0.2.0

Full Changelog

Fixed

• Ensure Plugins folder exists before enabling WebTool
  • Fixes Plex domain in claim link (#3)

Changed

• Upgrades Ubuntu base image to 2.0.0
  • Upgrades xmlstarlet to 1.6.1-2
  • Upgrades uuid-runtime to 2.31.1-0.4ubuntu3
  • Updates unrar to 1:5.5.8-1
  • Updates unzip to 6.0-21ubuntu1
  • Rewrites GitLab CI
  • Updates Plex to 1.13.2.5154-fd05be322

I am afraid not that I am aware of. Actually pretty disappointing for me too when I realized that Hass.io or ResinOs developers decision is not to allow - even for root - to mount network drives.
As a matter of fact would be nice to investigate is with more tinkering it becomes possible, perhaps having Plex Server scanning network shares instead of relying on local only. First real trade off of Hass.io :frowning:

Can you stream from this to an Echo Dot?

Does the new hassos have funtionality to mount a network share? Instead of resinos