Home Assistant Community Add-on: Portainer

Hi, pushed a v2.9.3-4 that should solve your issue. Could you please test ? Thanks

hi

Why is the official portainer discontinued?.

Read all about it below…

The developers added this note in the Readme documentation:

This add-on is no longer available.

It has been used quite a lot for unsupported porposes, causing many issues, support questions and other problems.

If you run Home Assistant, please be aware that running additional containers is not a supported use-case and will trigger your system to be flagged as unsupported as well.

If you need to install other software with Home Assistant, your best bet is to run home assistant container, or install Home assistant in a VM so you can run other software outside the vm

ah ok, thnx for info

is there an easy way then now to use a macvlan network? i want to run a specific local addon, but it needs to get an IP address of my router instead of the host network

What is the addon you want to run on a macvlan? Is it one you install through the supervisor (Ie an “official” or community Home Assistant addon), or something you are installing outside Home Assistant through Portainer?

Also, what is your current install method and hardware you are running Home Assistant on?

This portainer addon probably made it fairly simple to add a MACVLAN network, but without it, it’s going to be more difficult to create one unfortunately. I’m assuming you will have to install the full Home Assistant (Hassio) in a VM, and then docker (with or without portainer) outside of the VM to create a docker MACVLAN network. The other option is install docker with or without portainer, and use Home Assistant container, but you will lose the addon store and need to install the equivalent docker addons yourself. I actually run Home Assistant container and I can continue using the docker version of Portainer just fine - see my post here -

One of the reasons I run Home Assistant container is because it gives me more control over the install, lets me install anything else I want on the same machine, and I’m not impacted by the developers decisions to change or pull an addon just like they did here. If you can manage docker almost every addon has an equivalent full version you can install in docker yourself, without the supervisor (ie Node Red Installing Node Red in Docker for Home Assistant | by Jordan Rounds | Medium Zwavejs2mqtt https://zwave-js.github.io/zwavejs2mqtt/#/getting-started/docker , and zigbee2mqtt Getting started | Zigbee2MQTT). More control over the system means more work though.

hi, thnx for feedback
I have created some local addons, based on this tut:

but now i want a PBX - Asterisk add-on, its quite complitated with nat and port settings, therefore i would give this local add-on an ip of my router, makes it more easier

I run an esxi server, with HassOS … i could make an seperate vm offcourse, but prefer to use an add-on… easier to manage and nicer :slight_smile:

For making your own addon, I only see options to specify a bridge network with named/mapped ports or host network in the documentation

It might be possible to specify a macvlan some other way, but it’s definitely getting beyond anything I’ve tried doing myself. Hopefully someone else can chime in with an idea, but it might be better to ask on the discord channel - a lot of the developers are on there.

ok, thnx for feedback
appreciated

I arrived here while deploying Portainer on an external docker host, but I’d still like the ability to use it to manage/monitor the containers on Home Assistant Operating System. Posting here in case someone has the same goal.

From the console of the Home Assistant Operating System:

• login to open local root shell
  • Paste the following to deploy the edge agent:
docker run -d -p 9001:9001 --name portainer_agent --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v /var/lib/docker/volumes:/var/lib/docker/volumes portainer/agent
1 Like

I should note: running the command above will result in the message “You are running an unsupported installation” so keep that in mind. Apparently, installing an unapproved container will mean that you can no longer call Nabu Casa for your support contract :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, I’m also considering to put portainer-agent on my HA node, but does it make sense? What Portainer can be used for? I assume, HA supervised covers all imaginable needs in 2022.

In my case, I have docker running in a half-dozen different places for different use cases, so Portainer makes it easy to have a unified interface to all those instances.

If you’re just running Home Assistant and the official add-ons on your Home Assistant OS, I don’t see a very compelling use case for Portainer.

1 Like

Once I ran this script, I realized someone created an actual add on for this :slight_smile: . Is there a command that will uninstall this as well? I want to keep my HomeAssistant instance from being unsupported.

I am using it to run PhotoPrism. It’s not available as a HA Addon. But I guess it would be wiser to run it on other (virtual) hardware as to keep HA in a supported state.

1 Like

Sure! Just run these two commands:

docker stop portainer_agent
docker rm portainer_agent

Sure, it is better to use HA node only for HA-related things (and mostly officially supported). But if you know what you are doing and take all responsibility - why not.

Hi Luma,

I also have an existing Portainer setup on another host, and wanted to just run the agent on the Hass OS machine. The agent deployed fine, and seems to connect, but I dont see any valid data on the Portainer Environment:
0 stacks 0 containers 0 volumes 0 images
Do I need to do anything else, like open ports, Docker networks, or somehow authorise the agent to “see” the Hass OS containers?
I can see all the containers fine when running docker... commands on the Hass Terminal.
Thanks

Because of

I was searching and found this note:

This add-on is no longer available.

It has been used quite a lot for unsupported porposes, causing many issues, support questions and other problems.

If you run Home Assistant, please be aware that running additional containers is not a supported use-case and will trigger your system to be flagged as unsupported as well.

I was wondering how I could miss that. I’m pretty sure there was no last update noticing users about this. The last one was only complaining bout the removal of sso authentication Release v2.0.0 · hassio-addons/addon-portainer · GitHub.

I was wondering what will happen with my installation. Portainer is not in the add-on store anymore, but it is still installed on my system.

• Will this put my HA OS system at security risks?
  • Other things to keep in mind?

Somehow I really don’t like things getting killed/removed silently - even I can understand the linked lines, looking at this topic and what people did or tried to do with Portainer… looking at Portainer hasn't made any 3rd Party Auth-Methods "Business Only" · Discussion #135 · hassio-addons/addon-portainer · GitHub makes me think: maybe the actual reason was the removal of the authentication thing.

Too bad, anyway :frowning:

1 Like

I wanted to migrate mi InfluxDB data from inside HA and export it to an external server. The only way of doing is exporting the influx data using influxd backup command inside the docker shell and today I wanted to do it but I discovered I can’t install this add-on so I can’t export my data. The InfluxDB backups are not usable because they contain a copy of the data folter in the influxDB installation. I need an alternative way to shell to the influxDB docker :frowning: