Home Assistant - New Zealand

We’re renovating. Told my Sparky I want everything “Smart” he admitted to not being an expert but has a client for whom he’d installed Shelly Relays who absolutely who loves them. I’ve been researching Shelly and learnt a lot but still a little baffled. Which to choose? For lights I’m now thinking just buy RGBW Zigbee lights, no relay required, but need a hub, which one? For straight switches easy. But should I go with Z-Wave (another hub) or just Wifi! Best price I can find so far is https://www.ozsmartthings.com.au/. I’m concerned buying outside NZ/Aus as they might not be NZ legal. And then today I discover there are different Z-Wave/Zigbee channels for different regions.

Interesting learning experience. Expecting to make mistakes but trying not to let them cost me too much.

Dont use Z-wave, the frequencies arent always compatible in NZ. I use shelly wifi.
Are the lighrs 12 or 24v? If not then dont use rgbw. Im going fir tge 1pms as i want to monitor power.
If its certed for AU i believe tgey are goid for NZ but if your not sure the certs sre free to search for. If tgey are sellingvtgem in AU then tgey will have slrwady git certs, i also check NZ stores, once again if they are being sold by acreputible store then they generally have certs for NZ

1 Like

@nononcents I’ve been doing various sorts of home automation for over 10 years now. I started with Z-Wave devices and I’ve got rid of most of them now. They’re expensive (because manufacturers have to pay Alliance and licensing fees), hard to get the correct frequency that is licensed for AU/NZ, and difficult to setup.

I’ve currently got a mix of WiFi and Zigbee devices for light switching but if I was doing it again I’d probably just roll with Shelly’s such as this.

I cant find the electrical cert for the minis so i wouldn’t install those yet, im reaching out to Shelly, they are usually pretty quick to answer

1 Like

We did a renovation a couple of years ago and did everything with Shelly. Very happy with them.
All rooms lights are Shelly Dimmers and the fixed high load wallout outlets having Shelly PM1’s or 2.5’s (washing, dishwasher, dryer, towel rails etc). Non dimmable lighting is on 2.5’s.
Cabinet/pantry/cupboard lighting is also Shelly Dimmers so changes based on time of day.

For bonus points get a Bosch 2000/3000 alarm and use the motion sensors to turn on/increase brightness of the lights as you walk around the house.

Doing it again now, i would get at least some of the Shelly Plus models as they can be bluetooth bridges. So they can give good coverage for low power bluetooth sensors like door sensors. I believe the Plus models can be upgraded to be matter compatible once they release that.
Also for led strips i would have used Shelly RGBW instead of Shelly Dimmers as that would remove the need for dimmable low voltage power adapters/transformers.

1 Like

I am using a wican to get the SOC from my Kia Niro. it works great.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/wican-esp32-based-open-source-obd2-obd-ii-car-diagnostics-can-bus-to-wifi-ble-usb-adapter-home-assistant-integration/456098

Regarding Shelly SOTs, I did find this (have not used the website before and not affiliated with them in any way…) SDocs and Certificates – Smart Home Shop

Nice, I missed out on the plus model, something went wrong then i had to repair all of them, luckily there are only 5 in the house so far, but turning the power off then on to repair each one is a drag TBH, with BT, makes it soo much easier and yes it also makes them Matter upgradeable with firmware.
Question: With your dimmers, do you use any kind of a manual switch/slider/knob to be able to manually dim, needs to haveWAF which means she doesn’t want to use the phone…just yet, slowly getting her there.

Many thanks for the info @timwelchnz . You are confirming my research.

1 Like

Great info thanks @Databitz I will look into the Bosch alarms

these are the 3 resources I have used in the past
https://www.global-mark.com.au/
https://equipment.erac.gov.au/Registration/EquipmentSearch.aspx?atn=public

I believe if they are OK in AU then they are good for NZ, Disclaimer: well that’s what I have read.

There are not different ZigBee channels on different regions.

1 Like

There is a very long thread about Australian certified devices.

NZ and Oz have a combined approvals regime, if it is certified for AU it is certified for NZ and vice versa. It would pay the search or ask there. You’ll get a wider audience.

Search for Allterco and Shelly if your looking on global-mark.
https://www.global-mark.com.au/certificate-search/

Most devices are under Allterco, some of the latest are under Shelly. Allterco was the name of the company previously and Shelly was a brand they had, but now the company/group is also called Shelly.

1 Like

Zigbee is the same channels and frequency.
However, Z-Wave, if they still do, use different frequencies depending on the region, I am sure the Z-Wave devices aren’t allowed in NZ or AU if the frequencies aren’t registered for that region as they could cause interference which is illegal so you have to purchase NZ licensed Z-Wave devices.
This may have all changed in the past 2 years but I doubt it.

1 Like

I know, I didn’t argue with the statement that z-wave uses different frequencies in different regions.

sorry replied to the wrong post DOH

1 Like

Hi fellow HA kiwi’s
Can anyone explain how to use the previously mentioned Metservice home assistant integration? I’ve not seen it available when adding an integration in HA.

I aim to read in a forecast for my Waikato location so that I can alert on forecast parameters (eg frost).
Many thanks.

GitHub - ciejer/metservice-weather: Metservice New Zealand component for Home Assistant - follow that :slight_smile:

Excellent, thanks.

1 Like