Home Assistant OS (HAOS) with Proxmox VE 8.0 Install Guide

I’ve refreshed my HAOS + Proxmox VE install guide to reflect all the latest changes in Proxmox VE 8.0, and using the latest versions of @tteck awesome scripts:

Home Assistant: Proxmox VE 8.0 Quick Start Guide

The post covers:

• Why Proxmox VE for Home Assistant?
  • Proxmox Storage Recommendations
  • Creating Proxmox USB Boot Media
  • Installing Proxmox VE 8
  • Proxmox Post-Install Configuration
  • Intel Microcode Update (Optional)
  • Installing Home Assistant OS (HAOS) VM
  • Setting Static IP Address (Recommended)
  • Blocked DNS over HTTPS Workaround
  • USB Passthrough to HAOS (Optional)
  • Optimize CPU Power (Optional)
  • Check SMART Monitoring (Optional)
  • VLAN Enable Proxmox (Optional)
  • Proxmox Let’s Encrypt SSL Cert (Optional)
24 Likes

First of all thank you! This is awesome, and something I wish I had found when I was starting out a few months ago. I wondered if you have worked with the HACS and could help describe how to ssh in and/or place files in HAOS through this setup.

I have found that I can gain access through the ssh to the Proxmox VE then enter the HAOS but seem unable to access HAOS directly. Am I missing something obvious here?

I was trying to save files to the www/ folder in HACS for instance.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I looked on your website more, and found I was missing the most obvious point about using the SSH add-on and setting the password… Am now sleuthing through you website for ideas (and adding things for my desk overhaul now ha!) Thanks again!

1 Like

I’m attempting to run this on my machine, however I get the following error code:

[ERROR] in line 414: exit code 0: while executing command wget -q --show-progress $URL

Any help would be appreciated.

Is it not advised to use dynamic ressources ?

Like reserve 2 cores and 4 GB for Home Assistant but allow it to use up to 4 cores and 8 GB if needed (because Frigate runs face recognition a few times a day or whatever)?

I’m completely new to this (Home Assistant and Proxmox), I have no idea if HAOS can handle that nor if that’s how it’s supposed to work.

(I don’t want to use containers, I’d rather stick with HAOS)

HAOS itself, is not at all CPU intensive. I gave it 2 cores on Proxmox, and CPU usage is about 5%. I would personally run Frigate or Scrypted NVR is a separate instance, be it a LXC or container. Frigate would be pretty steady state in terms of resource usage, since it’s always processing camera feeds.

Starting with 4GB of RAM for HAOS and 1 CPU is a good start.

But technically, do dynamic ressources work the way I understand it?

No you can’t do dynamic CPU allocation. Just give it 1 vCPU and see how it goes. Proxmox does to memory ballooning, but I wouldn’t do that. HAOS is not memory intensive. Just give it 4GB, unless you are doing wild stuff. Separate out Scrypted/Frigate and give that the resources it needs. Don’t over think this. This is your home, not an enterprise with thousands of VMs.

I’m asking because if the virtual machines don’t offer any flexibility, I might as well forget Proxmox and install HAOS directly on a cheaper computer. And buy a second cheap computer to do something else if needed as needed.

I think you are misunderstanding a bit how hypervisors work. Given that, just skip Proxmox. I love Proxmox and it’s HIGHLY flexible. But running HAOS bare metal is good too…just have some disadvantages of doing it that way (and some advantages too). Totally depends on your requirements.

That’s a very helpful guide, thank you.

I’m currently running HAOS as a VM on VirtualBox (itself running on RHEL) on an old but rather power-hungry server. I don’t know Proxmox, but I assume it’s similar in functionality to VirtualBox.

I’m planning to set up a smaller server for Home Assistant, and possibly a few other things. Are you aware of any advantages to using Proxmon over VirtualBox?

Both are obviously hypervisors. With Proxmox Tteck has a great automated install script, which I showcase in my blog. That makes installing HAOS on Proxmox dead easy. It’s also widely used with HAOS, so should you have any issues, there will be more people with a Proxmox config to help. Matter/Thread rely on IPv6, and I don’t know how Virtualbox handles that. Could be fine…or not. It works extremely well on Proxmox without any Proxmox tweaks.

1 Like

I just purchased a Beelink Mini S12 Pro (Intel 12th Gen N100), following your other post so I’m excited to check out this guide! This is my first time diving into Home Assistant, I currently have most of my devices on Google Home and I also have Unifi networks with Unifi Protect, so really hoping to consolidate all devices into one centralize app for my wife and I to use.

That’s a great HAOS server!

Just received it today so I’ll be going through your guide. Do I need to actively have it connected with an ethernet or can I use wifi? Right now I plan to have the Beelink sit on my desk next to my PC, but my PC already is utilizing ethernet and I only have one jack, so I’ll probably have to get a switch.

I don’t know about Proxmox’s WiFi support. I always use ethernet.

1 Like

Connecting your HA server via Ethernet is highly recommended. That said, there is no operational or practical reason the HA box needs to be on your desktop - it could be anywhere. And if/when you connect a z-wave or zigbee dongle to it, you’ll ideally want the box to be in a location somewhat central to your home. Of course if your desktop is the best place for it for other reasons, go for it!

1 Like

Thanks, I’m still a complete noob at this but was thinking that since my mouse and keyboard is located at my desk, I’d be able to use them to troubleshoot if needed. Unless I’m able to access the HA box through my desktop once it’s connected and setup. I do have light switches/dimmers that are Z-wave so ideally would like to have it central somewhere in the living room.

Is it possible that once I setup Proxmox VE that I can just simply access through other devices like my personal desktop?

That’s exactly right. You’ll normally access HA via a standard browser from your desktop. After it is initially set up, there is rarely any need to plug a keyboard into the HA box itself. It really does act as a “home control server.”

1 Like

That’s helpful to know, I was worried that I had to get a switch and also additional KVM to switch back to the mini PC. But if remote access is possible for HA then that’s perfect.

I’m also assuming I can set it up in my office first, unplug everything, and move the HA box/mini PC to the living room and reconnect it to the ethernet and be done entirely without having to plug anything to the HDMI/display port to click on any boot/setup.