Home Assistant Yellow

I’m using the first one. I’ve now setup the second one and I will see how it goes. thank you

I can’t speakto HomeMatic but I do know that Zooz has a GPIO module that was made specifically for #yellow

I tested it and it works on J11. But to have it working, you need to enable some settings in your config.txt.

Sadly this also disables the internal Zigbee module as both seem to be connected to the same UART interface or so. So currently it seems as it is not possible to have both working at the same time.

I already posted an issue for this: https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/2408

1 Like

Could you explain (or reference) how you did the manual install without the HAOS in the eMMC? I’ve also got CM4 module with eMMC but don’t want to use it.
I have a NVMe installed in yellow.

I bought an NVMe-to-USB adapter and directly flashed the haos_yellow image (not haos_rpi4). However, I’ve since learned you can do that much easier via rpiboot. Just install from GitHub - raspberrypi/usbboot: Raspberry Pi USB booting code, moved from tools repository, change the boot jumpers to “recovery” and connect via the USB-C port. Run rpiboot from this subdirectory to access the NVMe drive. Then you can flash your image via Pi Imager (Note: You have to download the OS image yourself, Pi Imager only lists the Installer and not the full HAOS image for Yellow).

3 Likes

I did this as well, to have my Yellow boot directly off of the NVME drive.

I also used the rpiboot utility to change the CM4 boot device order to move the NVME drive ahead of the eMMC module.

1 Like

That’s not strictly necessary when the eMMC is empty.

2 Likes

:warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning::warning:

I have one brand new, never used, Home Assistant Yellow (Power-over-Ethernet) to sell.

If you’re interested, get in touch :slight_smile:

Thanks

This is amazing . can you tell me how to order this

Another brand new, never used Home Assistant Yellow to sell.

Based in Australia/Sydney.

Get in touch if you are interested.

Hi All,

Currently got HA setup on a windows 10 pc but it really lacks the reliability I used to get from ST. What’s ppls experience with running it on a pi. Am I just better off buying a HA yellow?

Thoughts appreciated?

You could use haos I think also on an intel/and cpu?
Hoas might be easier for a lot of people.
I use the yellow which is great. Works better than a normal rpi4.
Yet I might would consider odroid M1. Is I need to make the choice again.

1 Like

Mine has been running since last October when deliveries started. I’ve not experience problems, because I’m using all Wifi and not Zigbee or Z-Wave and the dongles. I did add a 2T SSD to my Yellow, my model is with compute module, no PoE module, US power adapter.

I am currently running HAOS on a HA Yellow. I have it booting directly off of a 1TB NVME drive, and it has been running smoothly for months. I have the PoE version, and supplied my own CM4 with 8GB RAM. I am running HA with addons for NodeRed, InfluxDB, Grafana, and ESPHome. With the amount of disk writes to the storage, I wanted the performance and reliability of the NVME drive. At the same time, I like the minimal power usage and the convenience of PoE. Since my PoE network hardware is on a UPS, that means my home automation platform is also protected by the UPS.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Decor the machine having uefi haos didn’t work for me.

Can Zwave usb dongles be added?

The yellow has usb ports.

1 Like

Yes, either via USB or the onboard small GPIO header. I added a Zooz 800 series Z-Wave module which fits nicely inside the HA Yellow’s case.

I received my HA Yellow a couple of months ago, and finally found the time to set it up this afternoon (was much easier than I anticipated BTW). After restoring from the latest backup of my previous setup, I went looking through the settings. I came across something titled “eMMC Lifetime Used” under the storage section of the system settings. Mine is currently showing 10%. Does that mean my brand-new Yellow has somehow already used up 10% of the eMMC’s lifetime?

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, is the HA Yellow compatible with a 2230 NVMe SSD? I have a spare one lying around from my Steam Deck, but am not sure if it will fit in the Yellow.