Home Assistant Yellow

ISWYDT :wink:

I kid you not https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/tree/bf327c968a4bebefbd5ae93a4d11616fae80cd8b/buildroot-external/configs

1 Like

Interesting…

I assumed your were implying Yellow + Blue → Green

Never thought there’d be any evidence of it, though! :thinking:

I just happened to notice a PR in there a couple of weeks ago,

Not based on RPI this time, but a rockchip SOC. A fairly new one at a guess as there are some linux kernel patches in there.

1 Like

I have had my Yellow POE for around 10 months roughly now.

Been happy with it apart from the temp it runs at with the enclosure on.

it would be nice to see someone do a redesign on the enclosure to add some vent’s holes above the heat sink & NVME Drive, I’ll explain why below.

Before I go on about the CPU temps below let me first explain the environment.

My HA Yellow is located in a cupboard where the ambient temp is around 28 - 30°C, It averages about 10% CPU most of the time with 40% of ram used.

With the current running temps there is no real room for me to do things like compile ESP Home firmware’s for my ESP Devices. I was also finding my dashboard loading with a slight delay, I have a lot of template cards and they take a second or 2 to load.

Upon investigation I found the CM4 CPU was running around 60°C constantly, max it reached was 67 °C I know this is below the throttling threshold but it got me wondering it there was room for improvement.

I then took the plastic enclosure off and ran Yellow for a few hours, this reduced temps by about 15°C, Yellow was running around a constant 45°C, there was some spikes up to 53°C, the dashboard loading also had a noticeable improvement at this point so I could see there was room for improvement at this stage and it partially solved the slowness of the dashboard icons loading.

Performance was notably better with Yellow out of the plastic enclosure.

This set me off to looking for cooling solutions for the CM4 module, I found this and ordered it.

I installed it on my yellow and reinstalled the cover, I then ran the device for a few hours again.

Not much of an improvement with the cover on as you can see, it was running around 53°C

so, I then removed the cover to run the CM4 with the new cooler, its a PWM an but currently not controlled so it may be running at 100% (I’m not sure how to tell)

Much to my surprise when its left like above the system is running around 30°C constant and again I can see an improvement in the dashboard and template cards loading, they are pretty much instant now.

So a huge 23°C difference with the enclosure removed.

I did mod my own enclosure by drilling holes above the fan and on the side (Its not pretty at all) but I took a function over form approach here and the temp is now 35°C so some vents the type of Fan like above will see you around a 17°C improvement which leaves more room for doing other tasks. I plan to put a mesh filter in the inside of the case to protect from dust ingress I am just waiting on that arriving.

The Small line above 18:00 on the chart is where I fitted the modded enclosure.

This is why I would like to see the same enclosure that is vented above the NVME and CPU fan as it would look more professional than some DIY Drilled holes, the cover is also a few mm thick so its holding the temp in side.

Something like this would be ideal in the new cover

3 Likes

Great info! Thank you for sharing!

I noticed that my HA Yellow CPU Temperature was a little bit warmer with the cover on vs with the cover off. Instead of attempting to add a fan inside the case, I decided to simply aim a cooling fan across the outside of the HA Yellow case. The same AC infinity 120mm fan also blows air across my Philips Hue bridge, my Lutron Caseta Smartbridge Pro, and my Hubitat Elevation hub.

Here are the results of simply cooling the outside of the HA Yellow’s case. The average temperature dropped from ~50 degC to about 39 degC. Ambient temperature in the room is ~ 24-25 degC.

Also looks like a great improvement in temps, I just dont have space for an extra fan in the area where my home lab is created

1 Like

Really cool that you investigated this and this post inspired me.
however I’m wondering how bad 60 degrees is,
(mine is running 50 -55C)
according the this document the RPI4 cpu runs 20 to 30 degrees above ambient temperature and starts throttling at 80 and even more at 85.

so with this in mind is 60 degrees an issue or is it only an issue if the temperature approaches 80 degrees?

It might not be an issue for the hardware but the cm4 is not as repsonsive at loading the web pages at that temperature, I had noticable lag of 1 - 2 seconds of the dashboard being displayed, its now instant.

as I said in my post above it was no where near throttling and I was just looking to improve the repsonsiveness of the dashboard, also means if I run other tasks like compiling ESP Home Firmware that my cm4 will likely stay responsive due to the lower temps.

1 Like

This is great news! I just ordered the GPIO module, and will report back once installed.

1 Like

Mine doesn’t get anywhere near that warm with the case on, but it’s heavily optimized.

You might run a profile with the profiler integration and see if something is using a lot of cpu time

Uber newbie, but what is the best integration/tool for measuring and displaying HA Yellow’s temp?

It pays to look thru the built in integrations

:slight_smile:

A lot of individuals pointed me to the System Monitor, but I found that I had to craft the following:

command_line:
  - sensor:
      name: CPU Temperature
      unique_id: sensor.yellow_cpu_temp
      command: "cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp"
      # If errors occur, make sure configuration file is encoded as UTF-8
      unit_of_measurement: "°C"
      value_template: "{{ value | multiply(0.001) | round(1) }}"

if you just create a sensor like this

- platform: systemmonitor
  resources:
    - type: memory_use_percent
    - type: memory_use
    - type: memory_free
    - type: swap_use_percent
    - type: swap_use
    - type: swap_free
    - type: load_1m
    - type: load_5m
    - type: load_15m
    - type: processor_use
    - type: processor_temperature

You have a lot of data way easier

2 Likes

I replaced my ZooZ stick with the ZAC93 GPIO version today. It took several restarts to sort itself out, but it appears to be working OK. I didn’t disable Bluetooth or edit any files or anything. I’m not sure if the Bluetooth is still working. I don’t have any home automation devices to test it with. Can I test with my phone or an audio device or something?

-Tom

Never mind. I forgot that it found my Bluetooth toothbrush, so it must be working. I’m not sure it’s worth automating my toothbrush, though. I would think manual actuation is always going to be required.

-Tom

2 Likes

You could always get a small table top robotic arm and George Jetson it! :rofl:

Hello guys. I reset HA Yellow with the red button. But I noticed that the installed M2 SSD was not reset. how can I reset it? Thank you

I placed my order with Crowd Supply in Dec 2022 and they still have not shipped my HA Yellow w/CM4…