Homematic - Reduce room temperature when a window or door is opened

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

I use HomematicIP to control my heating system with wall-mounted thermostats and thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs). Homematic supports linking these devices with window/door sensors, so that the set temperature is reduced when the window is opened. As I already had wired window alarm sensors connected to HA via MQTT, I was unwilling to go to the trouble and expense of adding about 30 additional sensors to all my windows.

I adapted this blueprint some time ago from another one that was posted here, but now I have forgotten who created it! So this is not all my own work, and if the original author contacts me, I will credit him/her here.

This blueprint was adapted from @SmartLiving.Rocks Blueprint Window open, climate off

I use Groups in HomeMatic to link my devices, so I recommend that you control the room temperature using the relevant group climate device.

Any suggestions for improvements are most welcome!

blueprint:
  name: Window Open, Notify HomeMatic CCU
  description:
    An automation blueprint that reduces the set temperature of your climate
    device or group if a window sensor is open for more than the preset wait time.
    It uses the Homematic window sensor channel to set the temperature to the "Open-window
    temperature" set in the device configuration. You should set the "Mode for temperature
    fall detection" to Inactive to avoid conflicts. It waits until the window is closed
    again in order to restore the climate entity temperature. It has an optional blocking
    entity to prevent the automation running unnecessarily, for example during the
    Summer season.

domain: automation

input:
    window_entity:
      name: Window Sensor
      description: The window sensor that will control the climate entity.
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: binary_sensor
          device_class: window

open_delay:
      name: Windows Open Wait Time
      description: Time to delay after window opens before notifying HomeMatic.
      default: 30
      selector:
        number:
          min: 0.0
          max: 600.0
          unit_of_measurement: seconds
          mode: slider
          step: 1.0

blocking_entity:
      name: (OPTIONAL) Blocking Entity
      description: If this entity's state is on, it will prevent the automation from running. E.g. summer mode or away mode.
      default:
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: input_boolean

climate_entity:
      name: Climate Device
      description: The climate entity that is controlled by the window sensor.
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: climate

source_url: https://gist.github.com/sotatech/500b53ee64ca5ad5299c22cde47407ed

variables:
  blocking_entity: !input blocking_entity
  climate_target: !input climate_entity
  climate_id: '{{ state_attr( climate_target, "id") }}'
  open_delay: !input open_delay

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: !input "window_entity"
    to: "on"
    for: !input "open_delay"

condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: "{{ (blocking_entity == none) or (states[blocking_entity].state == 'off') }}"

action:
  - service: homematic.set_device_value
    data:
      address: "{{ climate_id }}"
      channel: 1
      param: "WINDOW_STATE"
      value: 1

- wait_for_trigger:
        entity_id: !input "window_entity"
        to: "off"
    continue_on_timeout: false

data:
      param: "WINDOW_STATE"
      value: 0

mode: restart
max_exceeded: silent

1 Like

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

When I created this blueprint, I only needed it for windows, but later decided to use it for the doors as well. As my coding skills and my time are limited, I just created a separate blueprint for doors:

blueprint:
  name: Door Open, Notify HomeMatic CCU
  description:  An automation blueprint that reduces the set temperature of your climate device or group if a window sensor is open for more than the preset wait time. It uses the Homematic window sensor channel to set the temperature to the "Open-window temperature" set in the device configuration. You should set the "Mode for temperature fall detection" to Inactive to avoid conflicts. It waits until the window is closed again in order to restore the climate entity temperature. It has an optional blocking entity to prevent the automation running unnecessarily, for example during the Summer season.

domain: automation

input:
    door_entity:
      name: Door Sensor
      description: The door sensor that will control the climate entity.
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: binary_sensor
          device_class: door

open_delay:
      name: Door Open Wait Time
      description: Time to delay after door opens before notifying HomeMatic.
      default: 30
      selector:
        number:
          min: 0
          max: 600
          unit_of_measurement: seconds

blocking_entity:
      name: (OPTIONAL) Blocking Entity
      description: If this entity's state is on, it will prevent the automation from running. E.g. summer mode or away mode.
      default:
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: input_boolean

climate_entity:
      name: Climate Device
      description: The climate entity that is controlled by the door sensor.
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: climate

variables:
  blocking_entity: !input blocking_entity
  climate_target: !input climate_entity
  climate_id: '{{ state_attr( climate_target, "id") }}'
  open_delay: !input open_delay

trigger:
  entity_id: !input 'door_entity'
  to: 'on'
  for: !input 'open_delay'

condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: "{{ (blocking_entity == none) or (states[blocking_entity].state == 'off') }}"

action:
  data:
    param: 'WINDOW_STATE'

- wait_for_trigger:
    entity_id: !input 'door_entity'
    to: 'off'
  continue_on_timeout: false

data:
    value: 0

source_url: https://gist.github.com/sotatech/500b53ee64ca5ad5299c22cde47407ed#file-door-open-notify-homematic-yaml

mode: restart
max_exceeded: silent

I did something simillar for my heating but as well as doors I also included room fans being on or no motion for 30 minutes. I use a template binary sensor to determine when an inhibit (blocking state) is active as follows:

z2_inhibit:
      friendly_name: "Z2 Inhibit Active"
      value_template: >-
        {{ is_state('binary_sensor.balcony_door', 'on') or is_state('switch.sonoff04', 'on') or 
           is_state('input_boolean.z2_manual_operation', 'on') or is_state('binary_sensor.z2_occupied', 'off') }}

I then use the simple-thermostat card to show what states are inhibiting the heating from operating (in the example below maual operation and the fan are on but motion and open door are off):

At the moment the heating is in manual/standby (i.e. off) as it is quite warm, however if I flip manual off then it goes into “Eco” because the cooling fan is still on:

If the fan was turned off it would go into “Comfort” (the desired room “Comfort” temperature is set in each radiator using an IR remote).

Like you I am hoping this will save some energy.

That looks like a nice solution. The main challenge for me was figuring out the actual service call to HomeMatic to tell it that a window was open or closed, as the documentation is mostly in German. After that, the HomeMatic controller handles changing the temperature. This is the service call I use:

data:

1 Like

It works good (sadly it does not turn off the heating compleatly instead it turns it down to 12). Only thing I would have loved is a option for more heaters since my livingroom has 2 sadly and so it doesnt work there :confused:

Hi Leo,

1. The window-open temperature for the heating is set for each device in the CCU. Although 12 degrees should be cold enough to turn off the heating!
  2. If you add the livingroom devices to a Group in HomeMatic, you can then control the Group instead of the individual devices.
  3. The HomeMatic integration that this Blueprint uses is now deprecated. The new Homematic(IP) Local integration https://github.com/danielperna84/custom_homematic uses different service calls but you will find a modified version of mine here https://community.home-assistant.io/t/homematic-ip-local-reduce-room-temperature-when-a-window-or-door-is-opened/373305

Oh, I was not aware that there is already an updated version for the homematic local integration. So I also made a new blueprint yesterday:

The window open mode can be exposed to Home Assistant with read and write access with the new integration mentioned above. It is filtered by default because the attribute includes the string “STATE”, but you can make it visibile by adding “WINDOW_STATE” to an unignore file.

See this discussion: Fensterzustand TRV · Discussion #725 · danielperna84/hahomematic · GitHub