How did you install Home Assistant?

FFS.

It would be great if they could get rid of “hassio” in this. No wonder we still have a reference and naming problem - it’s still being advertised all over the place.

Q. What type of Home Assistant do you use?
A. Hass.io
Q. Hass.io no longer exists, what version do actually use?
A. Hass.io (shows your screenshot)

One more point I think, is to take notice that the raspberry option (in my opinion) it is mainly for testing reasons for someone to see how HA works and if someone can handle it. If someone decides that it is ok it is almost certain that he needs to move on in an another hardware option which is more reliable, faster, stable, and can support many devices. I know that there are some users which operate raspberry with no problems but I believe that there are no more than 10%-20% of raspberry users.

I believe this is one of the biggest issues. How to move on. That is why the depreciation is such an issue! There is no clear direction. I like many others started with a RPI3 and looked to move on. For me it was primary due to SD card issues for what I am doing the PI can handle my needs. I played with a VM on my windows machine and had issues with getting it to correctly support my Wyze components using the usb dongle. I then looked at the PI 4. Again, same issues with SD. Many work arounds to use SSD, but NOT Officially SUPPORTED. I also looked at the Odroid N2 which can boot from the SSD and is the choice of Balloob but this is only in beta.
Lots of very knowledgeable people here with recommendations. I believe (for me) that the future is no longer clear. I have no idea what hardware, integrations, etc to use going forward in Home Assistant.

Considering your many helpful contributions to the community, this latest one stands apart. Its testy nature is explained by your admission that, despite many intervening months, you still dislike the re-branding, to the point you won’t use the correct name even when it’s appropriate.

That’s counter-productive; it misleads newcomers who are learning the terminology. We both know “HassOS” refers to an operating system and is just one component of Home Assistant distributed as a disk-image. Novices reading the documentation will not find “HassOS” described as an installation method nor as a synonym for Home Assistant.

I ask that, in the interests of clarity and solidarity, you employ the terms found in the documentation rather than of your own invention.

The reference to hassio, shown in that screenshot, represents a relic from the past.

Frenck had explained it would take time to rename/remove traces of hassio. Currently, the last vestiges of it are found in the code where renaming can have widespread repercussions. For example, the configuration directory continues to be /usr/share/hassio/ and renaming it impacts the installation process and Supervisor’s operations.

The fact it continues to appear in corners of the product is not due to confusion but limited resources (i.e. most everything having to do with Supervisor, of the formerly named hassio, falls on one person’s shoulders).

2 Likes

Yeah I admit I was being a little mischievous with my image.
But someone changed that information panel for v110 so must have made a conscious decision to keep a heading/label as hassio?

For me NUC is the answer but combined eg with a linux operating system for home entertainment system or something otherwise is overkill. NUC is very fast and stable.

Possibly or they didn’t have the time because others things refer to that option by name and then you have to modify those other things as well.

The key point is that the presence of the term hassio in the code does not imply confusion but either something that remains on the to-do list or the development team considers it to be moot.

For example, the term component was deprecated in favor of integration a long time ago. The old term has largely been eliminated from the product and the documentation but you only have to venture to core’s GitHub repo to find a directory called components. Its historical name is of no consequence to the development of new integrations.

1 Like

But this maybe unsupported.

I really hope not.

Are you using supervised on generic Linux?

Yes, and I am (was) very happy with. Very fast reboot, very fast responses without stress if the sd broke etc.

Then you need to read the other forum over 700 messages about generic Linux install being deprecated. Now on hold.

I have.
Still hoping that they change their mind.
In my opinion if should be only one way of installation (and wondering why not) it should be the generic Linux install. I really can not understand how this is not obvious.
The raspberry’s is for testing. No-one can trust this kind of machines as the basic machine of their homes.
Python is only for few people. Windows are not recommended. The best choice is Linux.
inexperienced users like me are mostly interesting for the home assistant “software”. We can follow some instructions how to “install” it and that’s it. We care for the “software” not all the other parts (VM,proxmox,even docker). So the best choice IF the target is HA to growth are not the power users, but users like me (average and below average users)
I think here is a big misunderstanding, Right now devs don’t know their target and their target group.

4 Likes

Good vote count so far.

Not nearly as high as I would have hoped or thought tho. There are 152 votes in the original thread poll so far. But we still have two more days to go so hopefully it will get more.

However, no matter which poll you use it gives at least some idea that at least the active forum members are using the Supervised install more than all of the others combined. And in the other poll it’s by a very wide margin.

regarding the comment above that RPI is only to try things out. This assumption is IMO wrong. It’s way faster/easier to try something in a VM :wink:
For me the HW decision is and always will be a RPI. I just love the device, it’s good docmentation and vibrant community and especially that I can utilize the GPIO pins for custom sensors etc. I even ran HA on a RPI2 for 2 years now and it was just fine, no performance issues, no SD card issues, nothing. I only recently upgraded to a RPI4 because I want to run more things on it, and then found myself in the dilemma of picking a suitable installation method that allows me to add more functionality. Due to recent time constraints I postponed it and went with HomeAssistant (hassio) again to quickly have a working env again. But I doubt I will stick to it on the long run because it is just not flexible enough and creating custom add-ons that do more than providing one single lib (like my knxd add-on) is way above my head, so I am rather looking for an OS with a wider collection of “apps” (like a DLNA/UPNP server, OwnCloud, and what not) and the ability to outsource data/folders to an attached USB HDD

1 Like

Install the Portainer Add-On and use it to install other docker containers.

It gives you a way of installing services that are not currently available as Add-Ons (but are available as standard docker containers).

tried that, didn’t work. Wanted to create a nextcloud container and while it said it’s deploying it, nothing happened in the end (no new container, nothing). Also, a local-persited volume driver is missing, which to my limited docker knowledge I would need in order to share a local USB-HDD as volume with multiple containers. Another option would be to mount /dev/sda1 to /mnt/data/supervisor/shared and use that instead, but AFAIK changes to the core OS (like autostart scripts) are subject to be reverted on updates (not entirely sure about that though). But this is going way to off topic now.

Have a look at the discussion in this thread. It might provide clues to resolving the issue you’ve encountered.

Start with this post:

Maybe you want to start with other addons apart from nextcloud. Especially nextcloud as a docker container is not a simple task. If you look into the NC forums, you will see a lot of questions regarding the installation of NC in a docker container. NC is a little picky regarding specific versions for requirements.

There are a lot of tutorials out there, I didn’t find a good and correct one. I didn’t try it in the end, as I found NextcloudPi, that is exactly what I was looking for. Very similar to the now deprecated supervised install. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have you tried something “easier”? :slight_smile: