How to connect Aqara Smart Lock U100 to your Home Assistant

This topic is about connecting the Aqara Smart Lock U100 to your Home Assistant. Can you do this? Short answer: Yes!

So there is already a post about this but I feel it is misleading at first glance. It is a long post and you have to read pretty far down before you see that it is possible to do this and all before that are updates on how it’s not possible. So I will explain here how to do it.

Watch quick YouTube short showing these steps.

Introduction:

Things to know before getting started. In order for this to work it’s a requirement to use the Aqara Home app and set the locks up there first (full install video is given when setting up in Aqara app). After that you must have the Aqara hub (I used the M2 hub). Once you have both the lock and hub set up in Aqara you can begin to add them to Home Assistant.

Pre-reqs:

1. Must have a U100 lock
  2. Must have Aqara Hub (M2 recommended)
  3. Download Aqara home app and set up but devices in the app
  4. Add the Matter (beta) integration in you Home Assistant

As a new user I can only add 1 photo so I will add the one I think may be confusing for most people.

Step 1:

• Navigate in the Aqara app to your hub device.
  • Click the 3 dots in the top right
  • Go into the “Function setting”
  • Click “Bind to Matter (Beta)”
  • Click the + to begin adding to Home Assistant
  • Copy the code for later

Step 2:

• In Home Assistant begin adding a new integration.
  • Look for Add Matter device
  • select “More options…”
  • If you did step 1 it should be showing as an option to bind

Once you are done it should have bonded the hub in Home Assistant and all the devices connected to the hub should now be available in Home Assistant. You can now remotely lock/unlock door from Home Assistant.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. Were you Able to get HomeKey to work as well?

I have HomeKit and home assistant working but I no longer have HomeKey anymore.

So basically a real use case for Matter here. How solid does the integration seem to be? Is it communicating locally between the hub and HA? Sounds like the Matter integration is using the hub to HA? What protocol?

I followed the instructions exactly as @Graybound wrote them up with 1 exception - I’m running home assistant in a docker container, so I had to go to Py matter server and spin up another container for Matter.

Also, my homekey still works on my watch. I did add it before following these instructions though.

Thanks all. I did get it working, albeit with 2 entries in HomeKit, one from Matter, and one traditional (this allows HomeKey).
Home Assistant works perfectly,
fingerprint works flawlessly
and legacy integration works perfectly via M2 Hub and Bluetooth.
There is only seconds difference between all of them.
Very happy

1 Like

Yes, I just tried this and have the same setup - 2 HomeKit instances. my homehub(Apple TV) is not close enough to my lock, so HomeKit only detects the state when my iPhone/iPad is in bluetooth range. I zigbee paired to Aqara hub m2 and then paired the hub via matter to HA, then made a HomeKit bridge to share the lock back into Apple home so that I can see the state updates on my Apple TV etc. then I just hid updates and status from the direct HomeKit connection.

I just finished doing all of this, but its seems to work very well.

I cannot connect my M2 hub to HA via Matter. I’ve been using it as a HomeKit controller just fine, but it doesn’t pick up the lock or luminance sensors from their P1 motion sensor. I have unbound the hub and tried connecting to Matter and it just doesn’t work.

I’ve followed the instructions to the T above and when I start the process it can see my hub just fine. I enter the Matter code, it attempts to connect to HA but then never works and times out with an error.

I’ve also tried and get an error “Something went wrong” and it never adds.

I also get errors. It says to check the M2 manual. No info there either.

I was trying to use the android companion app when I got the errors. This would not work. When I used the Companion app on an iPhone. It worked no problem. Something wonky with the android integration.

Followed directions worked without issue :+1:

Followed directions, worked with an E1.

1 Like

Would I not be able to connect this to HA using HomeKit Hub?

Meaning:

• Lock talks to HomeKit
  • HomeKit talks to HA

I prefer to have everything in HA, but it sounds like this should work fine if I just use HomeKit as the hub.

I tried connecting the hub to home assistant multiple times and it didn’t work.
I kept getting the error that the device could not be added.

BUT…
I found the issue! Home assistant NEEDS ipv6 enabled for this to work.
I enabled ipv6 within home assistant (To do this just go to the network configuration and set ipv6 to auto) Mine was disabled as I didn’t think I had any use for it.
It then took two goes and the matter hub connected.
I can now see the status of the lock (and open/close it too)

FYI. I figured it out from errors in the matter server log file (matter tries to download certificate files from the internet)

If you are having issues adding devices to matter check ipv6.

Brom

Did you get anywhere with this? I’m curious about the same… I don’t know if I require the M2 hub or not… I have an Apple TV 4k Gen 3, Home Assistant with Zigbee. I want to be able to use this lock with HomeKey, Home Assistant…

Hello, does anyone want to inform that after this I can delete the Aqara HUB?

Removing the Aqara HUB does it work directly with HA?

Was able to get the Hub & Lock to show up in Home Assistant; Since its using “Matter” to connect to Home Assistant, it is still able to connect both too HomeKit (Apple Home) as well.

As soon as I connected the Hub (Note you have to use the Home Assistant Mobile App to Connect Matter Devices, why I don’t know. It pops up the same window that Apple Home does to add a device, only when using Home Assistant the option to scan the QR code doesn’t function…)

But I’m not sure the point of the hub; since it does nothing as a device when connected via “Matter.” as you can not arm/disarm it, and it doesn’t sync any other devices/accessories connected to it. I have 2 FP2 (Presence Sensors) that do not show up as devices in Home Assistant. The Aqara Lock showed up immediately.

While I’m not able to use the Lock via Home Assistant (Only Lock or Unlock it) I can no longer pair anything to the Aqara Hub.

This worked even better than described. I didn’t have to hit more options or anything. Just add matter device, paste code and boom. As for other devices showing up no issues. Two u100 locks and 2 aqara door/window sensors. The status updates are instant. I do have a fp2 but haven’t set it up yet so maybe it’s just that device.

I can confirm that U100 lock and Aqara E1 hub works via Matter with no problems. I can now lock/unlock and get status updates (locked/unlocked) instantly. But keep in mind there are 2 versions of E1 hubs: ZHWG16LM (Chinese version) and HE1G01 (Global version). Chinese version is tied to chinese servers in Aqara app and there is no way to bind U100 lock to it. I was unable to hack and reflash chenese version with global firmware (but I believe that they use just the same hardware). Here is instruction for M1S just in case Xiaomi Aqara Hub (CN) on European server

Anyone else see the M2 Hub’s Matter interface stop working if it’s rebooted while it has no internet connection?

I recently set up a U100 lock and have it connected to Home Assistant via the Matter connection on an M2 hub, as described in the OP’s post.

Once both the hub and lock were set up and working properly, I disabled internet access on the M2 hub (via my router), and everything continues to work properly. This is what I expected, given that Matter should allow everything to communicate over the LAN.

However, if I reboot the M2 hub (e.g. power cycle it), I’ve found that the Matter interface doesn’t work until it reconnects to the internet. If that’s not a fluke with my particular installation, that means that you can’t isolate the M2 hub from the internet and expect it to keep working locally; further, it means that if Aqara’s servers ever go down/away, Matter goes away on the M2 hub and no more Home Assistant connection via Matter.

Is anyone else blocking the M2 hub from internet access once it’s set up with Matter? If so, are you able to reproduce the above problem by rebooting the M2 Hub while its internet connection is disabled?

I’m also curious if the E1 exhibits the same behavior and/or if this might be a side-effect of Matter support being listed as Beta right now.

1 Like