How to know the frequency/technology used in a remote?

I bought a motorized TV mount and all documents to the product said it was IR controlled, but it’s not.
I thought it had to be RF since I could use it from behind a door so I bought a Sonoff RF bridge but that didn’t work either (or it uses a different frequency).

So before I go buy something else that doesn’t work, how can I figure out the technology used?

I have already tried asking the seller/manufacturer but they are too ignorant and lazy.
I have asked if they could sell me another remote or just send me one since they f… it up for me but they just want me to return the mount instead since they are too lazy to do anything.

The mount is this one:
SpeaKa Professional 23-55Z TV-takfäste 58,4 cm (23") - 139,7 cm (55") Tiltbar, Motoriserad | Conrad.se in case anyone knows.

Product information says:

and the manual says:

Are you sure it is not IR ?

Yes. The remote does not “blink” when you aim a camera on the front of it.
I can use the remote from a different room with the door closed.

I’m sure it’s not IR

Definitly not IR then. I once had a remote that I did not know what frequency it used. I used a RTL-SDR dongle to figure it out (was a 315Mhz remote)

1 Like

I think I actually bought something like that a few years ago.
It was to read the data airliners send to ground.
Not sure where it is though…

That is an option.

Somehow I believe (fear) it’s bluetooth.

Because the manual states you need to push a button on the mount to pair/mate/use it with another remote.
There would be no reason for that to exist if it was RF. Well it could but…

Or it’s zigbee or something “home made”

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluetooth_viewer.html

I’ll give that a try when I get home. Thanks!

As soon as the download started the anti virus software stopped the download of that software.

EDIT, no I downloaded the wrong file. This one seems fine. I hope…

1 Like

Tried it yesterday for a little while but I don’t think it’s bluetooth.
Or there was something with hardware/software.

The software claimed it saw my old phone that has been switched off for months.
And only when I asked windows to scan for bluetooth devices did it find some more.
But not the remote.

And I’m not sure the computer has Low energy capabilities. Maybe the remote is LE?
I could see some mentions of LE looking in the control panel of windows but not sure if that is windows has LE or the hardware has LE.

I’ll see if I can find the antenna and try and use that.

Picked apart the remote today and this is what I found (No IR diod for sure…).

As I see it K1, K7, K8 and K9 seems to have a common ground.
So with that in mind I figured the way to trigger the remote was to ground the pins on the board.

Some of the pins “do” something but not sure what.
One of them just makes the LED light up and one makes the TV mount beep.
But I can’t find any that makes it move.

Nevermind I got it working.
It just needed to be grounded for a longer period.

From the bottom (or left on my picture) it’s the third pin for down and forth pin for up.

Have not yet managed to make it stop (OK button) but I don’t think I will need it.

Is there an FCC # on the back? If you look that # up, it will provide the frequency. I have a crappy ceiling fan that is using an RF remote and I couldn’t get my Bond Hub to link. I had to manually add it and that FCC # was crucial.

If the same product is sold in the US, the FCC will have info on it. Searching for RF01-P10101 I found this:
Lumi Legend Remote Control RMT-02 FCC ID 2AG62RMT-02
Says it is 2.437GHz.

Internal photos look exactly like your remote.
RMT-02 Remote Control Teardown Internal Photos Lumi Legend (fccid.io)

I couldn’t make out the markings on the chip in your photo, too blurry. In the FCC photos, I can see it is a Beken BK2461. I found this identical (except for the PCB color) MCU: 2.4Ghz BK2461 UART Wireless Transparent Transmission Module (120M, 121 Channel) (iot-rf.com)

Also found the datasheet for the chip: BK2461 datasheet(32/97 Pages) ETC2 | MCU+RF (alldatasheet.com)

Confirms it’s 2.4GHz.

It does not have any FCC label.
I have a feeling remotes (and other “stuff”) has to declare it’s frequency in manual and/or product over here in EU too. But it seems these has not.

if it’s 2.4 GHz and the my computer didn’t find the bluetooth signal that could mean it’s either not bluetooth at all, or that it’s LE and my computer does not support that.

Either way now I just need to solder on two optocouplers to control it.
And figure out a way to know the TV’s current state.
I got distance and accelerometer to choose from as far as I know. Or am I missing something?

I never said it was Bluetooth. 2.4GHz is unlicensed spectrum. Bluetooth and WiFi are 2 things that operate in that spectrum, along with tons of other things.

The links I found tell you everything you need to know about it. “low-power, high-bandwidth wireless UART module operating in 2.4GHz ISM band.”

Not said it is bluetooth. 2.4 GHz is unregulated, Wifi, Zigbee, bluetooth, microwaves, … use it.

1 Like

That is exactly what I wrote.

@Hellis81 Have you been able to progress with this project? I have the same remote and would love to learn from prior experience.