How to update conbee II on hassio with deconz/phoscon integration?

Hello.
I’ve noticed that the firmware version of my conbee 2 is 26660700

How can i update it to the latest version?
Shouldn’t the device update over the air or is it manually?
I’ve come across some instructions about ssh updating but it wasnt very helpful.

Hello,
for updating the FW have a look here.
The first sentence on this site implies that it should be possible via the Phoscon App, but I never saw a menu or button for this. That’s why I believe the FW update has to be made manually.

I checked the website out but no instructions for home assistant , only docker, raspbian, ubuntu/debian and windows.

Oh, okay - I am sorry, I never get used to the wording. You wrote Hassio … and I can’t help here.
From my beginning with HA in 2019 I had deconz/phoscon installed on its own RaspBerry and HA either in a Python venv, or - since a month - in docker.

There is an issue that can brick your conbee if upgrading it using the addon. Preferably you update it on another machine

hummm since iam on an iMac.
Is it safe to update it through vmware windows 10?

I have no idea

I use proxmox, not VMware. But I’ve updated mine using a windows 10 VM. Just followed the instructions to download the command line tool. Probably took 10 minutes from start to finish.

From my experience none of VM setup will work properly… I tried on trashcan Mac Pro with Parallels and Windows running under ESXi. Perhaps it might work with bootcamp… I think Conbee likes to be connected directly to HW, rather thatn via some virtualization layer.
The oinly solution that ever worked for me reliably was external Windows machine.

I tried it with vmware windows 11 but GCFFlasher fails.

I found a solution for Home Assistant OS. If you have enabled Debug SSH on port 22222, you can just stop deCONZ plugin, log into hypervisor (ssh to port 22222) and continue as instructed by deCONZ manual for Docker update: https://github.com/deconz-community/deconz-docker#updating-conbeeraspbee-firmware

Steps just for reference:

1. Go to Settings → Add-ons → deCONZ, Stop addon
  2. Login to hypervisor: ssh [email protected] -p 22222
  3. Run docker run -it --rm --entrypoint "/firmware-update.sh" --privileged --cap-add=ALL -v /dev:/dev -v /lib/modules:/lib/modules -v /sys:/sys deconzcommunity/deconz
  4. Follow steps from script. If you want last update, don’t follow “Firmware available for flashing”, open URL and copy filename.
  5. After few seconds is update done!
  6. At the end, delete docker image and free some storage space docker rmi deconzcommunity/deconz
  7. After successful update I just reboot whole system and deCONZ plugin start automatically after new bootup. System → Settings → Hardware → top-right corner tripledot → Reboot host

If you don’t have enabled debug ssh server to hypervisor, find it. If you can’t find it or you didn’t understand to it, then this solution is not for you, sorry.

8 Likes

That’s genius. Was looking for such a solution for the past years.

I even used the addon ‘SSH & Web Terminal’, so you can all do it easily remote.

So I adapted your install manual a bit:

1. Go to Settings → Add-ons → deCONZ, Stop addon
  2. start SSH & Web Terminal with safe mode disabled
  3. download the latest deconz container and start it by executing next command:
    docker run -it --rm --entrypoint "/firmware-update.sh" --privileged --cap-add=ALL -v /dev:/dev -v /lib/modules:/lib/modules -v /sys:/sys deconzcommunity/deconz
  4. Follow steps from script. If you want last update, don’t follow “Firmware available for flashing”, open URL and copy filename.
  5. After few seconds is update done! (for me it failed the first time, just try a 2nd time)
  6. At the end, delete docker image and free some storage space:
    docker rmi deconzcommunity/deconz
  7. After successful update I just reboot whole system and deCONZ plugin start automatically after new bootup. System → Settings → Hardware → top-right corner tripledot → Reboot host

some screenshots of some steps:

13 Likes

thx, worked like a charme!!!

I tried to do the same, but I’m consistently getting an error about the wiringPi lib not being installed:

Anyone else had this issue?
This also doesn’t seem to work as I have no dpkg command at hand: wiringPi updated to 2.52 for the Raspberry Pi 4B | Wiring Pi

Do you use homeassistant OS?
Which version? I just tried it on raspberry pi 4B with the 64 bit version of home assistant OS 8.2

see Firmare Update of Raspbee not possible · Issue #125 · deconz-community/deconz-docker · GitHub
But strange that I don’t have the issue. I have a RaspbeeII on a pi 4B. 64bit HA OS.

Resume: Deconz seems quite mystically to auto-update for me.

Details:

• Setup: Conbee2 on rasberryPi running Home Assistant (2022.10.3) OS (9.0)
  • I have not done anything for updating deconz since set up 2 or so years ago.
  • Due to some lights flashing I began debugging and became interested in deconz version, and lo and behold it is the newest, namely
    – version: 2.18.02 / 19.9.2022 (newest cf this version-web-folder)
    – firmware: 26720700 (I just guess this is the newest)

What have I missed?

Update (a few minutes later)

• Cf this fw-web-folder the newest firmware is 26780700, so fw not auto-updated, but then, what is it? E.g. what is the Version referring to?

Ah nice, but didnt work automagicly for me.

26780700 Is the latest version, but what I read about it is that is just out of beta. 26720700 is still the one that is pushed by default.

Woops my bad: Manuel update required.

Spoke to dresden elektronik support tthey said: We disabled the firmware update by click in the web app some time ago, because many 3rd party software users destroyed their firmware on the gateway with it. A native installation is required for the firmware update.

Epilog: I probably did a manuel update a +year ago and forgot all about it.

Looks like I bricked mine :frowning:

Device path .: /dev/ttyACM0
Firmware file: deCONZ_ConBeeII_0x26780700.bin.GCF
Timeout .....: 60

Are the above values correct?
Enter Y to proceed, any other entry to exit: Y

Flashing...

GCFFlasher V3_17 (c) dresden elektronik ingenieurtechnik gmbh
Reboot device /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2475236-if00 (ConBee II)
deCONZ firmware version 26580700
R21B18 Bootloader
Vers: 2.07
build: Jun 17 2019
flashing 163230 bytes: |=====error: timeout flashing firmware after 3004 ms
Reboot device /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2475236-if00 (ConBee II)
R21B18 Bootloader
flashing 163230 bytes: |===========error: timeout flashing firmware after 3003 ms
R21B18 Bootloader
flashing 163230 bytes: |=error: timeout flashing firmware after 3001 ms
R21B18 Bootloader
flashing 163230 bytes: |=error: timeout flashing firmware after 3002 ms
R21B18 Bootloader
flashing 163230 bytes: |=error: timeout flashing firmware after 3002 ms
retry, failed

2408: Error: uart reset failed, check retry

Flashing Error! Please re-run this script...

# docker run -it --rm --entrypoint "/firmware-update.sh" --privileged --cap-add=ALL -v /dev:/dev -v /lib/modules:/lib/modules -v /sys:/sys deconzcommunity/deconz

Now my laptop don’t even see the ConBee when plugged… Is there a solution?

Edit: It’s back after unplugging it for a while!! Magic.