How to view a users username?

Hi,

My girlfriend forgot here username to HA, and keep calling me at work to get the garage door opened :smile:
So is there a way I can find out here username from the web page, or is there another way of doing it?
If I open here user from Configuration - > Users, I only see the full name, ID, owner, active, system generated and the option to delete.
I am logged in as an owner, and using version 0.82.0

And as a owner, shouldnā€™t I be able to reset here password as well?

Thanks,
Nepa

Configuration>Users will show itā€¦

It just show the full name, not the username.
Same thing for my own userā€¦
user

Iā€™m sure it used toā€¦

2 Optionsā€¦ delete the one where sheā€™s forgotten and make a new one or look in .storage for I think the auth file and it will list the users there in plain textā€¦

1 Like

Thanks,
Found it in the auth file!

Greatā€¦ glad I pointed you in the right direction

How can I ā€œlook in .storageā€. I have the file editor, but it does not show the .storage folder under /config.

Found it.

This is pretty crazy. I cannot believe it is this hard to see a username.

I agree. I ran into this yesterday and the auth file was the only place I could find it too

Agree just ran into this. Googled and found this thread. Thought I was crazy. Half an hour I spent because I forgot my username was very different than the userā€™s name. All you can see on the HA page is the user ID field in the auth file and the userā€™s full name.

I just created a new user via Configuration > People > Add Person. I enabled ā€œAllow person to log inā€.

How do I see this new username? So this user can log in. How do I view the ā€œauth fileā€ or ā€œ.storageā€ using the file editor?

For context Iā€™m running Home Assistant Operating System for Raspberry Pi, from here https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/raspberrypi

Whatā€™s the workflow for multiple users? Are you supposed to create a new user for each person who will user Home Assistant or just one account for the house?

I only use one login for the houseā€¦ itā€™s a personal choice. My wife only uses voice commands anyway.
When you logon you would enter the username. If you use trusted_networks it will give you a list of users there as well (if you donā€™t also use bypass login etc)

Ok hereā€™s one way to view the usernames, maybe thereā€™s a better way.

1. Profile > Advanced Mode > Enable
  2. Supervisor > Add-on store > Terminal & SSH > Install
  3. Open Web UI and run one of the following commands:
jq .data.credentials /config/.storage/auth
cat /config/.storage/auth
4 Likes

You can actually see the list of users including display name, username, active state, and role via Configuration > Users . From here you are also able to add, disable or delete accounts, or change passwords.

Note: This menu option is only available when Advanced Mode is enabled. To enable Advanced Mode login to HA, click on your profile (bottom left corner), and enable from the list.

4 Likes

This!! This is the easiest way to view the usernames. The other solution is viable but ridiculously complex.

This worked perfectly for me, thanks

Settings > People > Users tab > click on the user from the list.

1 Like