HTML5: step "Getting ready for Chrome", pls help!

Is there a value specifically called Firebase Cloud Messaging token? I see the following:

• Settings
  • General
    • Project ID
    • Web API Key
  • Cloud Messaging
    • Server Key
    • Server ID
    • Legacy Server Key

Am I missing something? Should I use Cloud Messaging > Server Key and Cloud Messaging > Server ID

Server key is gcm_api_key
Sender ID is gcm_sender_id

Im using Apache proxy so I added a proxy exclusion for the file then an alias to the file which worked fine.

I understand that it is much easier to solve the issue running the proxy, however, I believe that a solution should be implemented in HASS itself.

I agree. The push component should have a property for the Google verification token and expose it via hass ui.

1 Like

Great idea!
Do you know how to suggest it, as an issue on GitHub or as a future request on this forum? It would be very helpful.

If I understood the structure of the code some more I’m sure I could do the work and do a pr for it. Not use to all the open source stuff. I use git daily however lol

Thanks to this thread I was able to get the domain verified in Google by manually editing my index.html

Now, I’m running into a problem where when I try to enable push notifications in my browser (tried both Chrome and FF), I get a “failed to register” error. I’m not seeing anything in home_assistant.log. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to start debugging this? I’m pretty confident that I’ve got the correct keys from firebase, etc.

I’ve got:

- name: html5
    platform: html5
    gcm_api_key: 'long string of characters'
    gcm_sender_id: 'shorter string of characters'

I’ve tried triggering a notification via the services dev tool and also via a script:

htmlpushtest:
  alias: HTML5 push
  sequence:
    - service: notify.html5
      data: 

Though, I don’t think it’s my script that’s the issue, but likely something with my config.

I’m using the AIO install, secured with LetsEncrypt. No proxies or NGINX to deal with.

Have you checked that all dependencies have been installed?
I remember that I had a problem with that some of them were not automatically installed several versions ago. And I am not sure if the issue has been completely resolved in the current version.

Hi, I’m also having difficulties with the step of verifying the domain (duckdns). This thread is very helpful however I can’t locate the …\components\frontend…\index.html to add in the metatag as per Molodax posts.

I’ve installed home assistant using the all-in-one installer and the only file directories in my \homeassistant\ directory are '.homeassistant and ‘.cache’

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

@Scaevity, check this or similar path: /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/components/frontend/templates

When trying to verify domain, letsencrpyt places file on your webserver then attempts to view that file…

SO
1.Let’s encrypt puts file on server at /var/www/letsencrypt/checkfile (for example)
2.lets encrypt checks file present at http://your domain/letsencrypt/checkfile
3.if file found, domain is controlled by you

If having issues verifying domain you should place a file at /var/www/letsencrypt/testfile(for example), then verify the file is accessible from your domain.

You must know where letsencrypt is placing the file or there is a method to specify where the file will be placed.

@tmjpugh
Thank you for your detailed explanation, however, the issue is about component HTML5 notify and the necessity to verify domain for Google. It is not a question about letsencrypt.

@Molodax
I Misread somewhere…Apology

@ih8gates
I use this automation for html5

- alias: 'Ring My Bell'
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: binary_sensor.doorbell
      to: 'on'
  action:
    - service: notify.html5
      data:
        data:
          tag: "Doorbell"
          actions:
            - action: "button 1"
              url: "https://mysite.com/api/camera_proxy/camera.mycarmera?api_password=mypassword"

I found that Firefox has less requirements for testing so until you get a message sent it may be better to remove all “Chrome” user agents from html5_push_registrations.conf and test with firefox only.
for me, when chrome fails due to configuration issues it would not send to Firefox browsers
Actions will not work in firefox I believe…fyi

Good to know, however, it’s a bit off topic since its not a browser issue or question regarding configuration. It’s rather a limitation of current implementation the component in HASS and poorly written instructions.

1 Like

@Molodax, thank you! Found the index.htm file exactly where you said it’d be.

I’m very much an amateur here and first time using a linux OS so I appreciate you taking the time to spell it out.

1 Like

I am trying to set this up but get ‘403: Forbidden’ when I try to verify my domain using https:\myduckdnsname.duckdns.org:8123/local as per the instructions

Can someone please help me here?

So it seems the docs are little out, but I found my way to the google domain verification, now getting 404: not found when trying to test the file upload. It is definitely there… so I’m thinking its an access issue.

perhaps related to this. Unfortunately I need to wait until I can power cycle my RPi :smirk:

I have managed to get the HTML5 domain verification stuff done but…

I cant get the slider to switch on with my HassIO install where I have just now set up the HTML5 component. As far as I’m aware I have completed all the prerequisites, domain has been verified and HTML details listed under notify.yaml

can someone please help me?