I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

As @ronniebee mentioned above by “reload” i’ve meant to get a new token/cookie.

That fixed it. Thanks.

Some strange behavior over here : when de hassio installation is just rebooted the Nest cam works for a few minutes. After this “few minutes” the cam stops working. If i reboot the hassio installation again , the cam is working again for a few minutes :tired_face:
Are there more badnest users with the same issue ?

Hi! I am using badnest with the fork that enables the camera. I have it all working with the thermostat and cam, but the camera quality is pretty poor. Does anyone know how to improve it beyond the default?

I guess the bigger issue is that it is very delayed and low framerate. Does anyone know how to tweak the config to improve picture quality for framerate? Ideally it would match what the Nest app already does. Thanks!

What files do you take from the other GitHub? Just camera. Py,?

Just using the whole fork itself:

I have to report the same here, the fork “works” but only for a few minutes, then you’re back to a non-working feed, with no visible errors in the log.

Anyone found a solution to this?

I for the life of me can not get my second thermostat to show up. My nest learning thermostat shows up fine but my nest e does not. I have seen many people in this thread that have multiple thermostats get theirs to work. Any tricks to this?

badnest:
  issue_token: "big long thing home.nest.com"
  cookie: "OCAK=long token string"
  region: us

climate:
  - platform: badnest
    scan_interval: 10

Nest E isn’t supported by this integration, if i’m not mistaken.

Thanks for this excellent bad nest! It is so excellent and works so fine I would suggest Google to hire you as an developer. :smiley:

Just like a few people above, worked great for awhile but my 2nd thermostat went randomly unavailable and I haven’t been able to figure out why, nothing in the logs from what I can tell. Other items working just fine (3 Nest Protects, 1 other Thermostat and even the Nest Sensor that is tied to the not working thermostat)

In the latest version, I couldn’t get camera.turn_on or camera.turn_off to work. Seem to have fixed this by making an edit to api.py not sure if you want to update your code or if there is something I overlooked?

I’ve created a pull request looks like it’s possibly just an oversight in the API call.

Seem to have lost my thermostat today. Cameras still seem fine…

Nevermind, it’s just come back!

I’ve got the error

badnest
badnest.climate
badnest.sensor
Check your configuration

and yes, seems that the token work for 1 month, then need to be regenerated.
I use the old way Nest account to login in home.nest.com
Log in to home.nest.com, F12 on chrome and filter for “session” to show your new token (in network tab).

Good Job USA-RedDragon, thank you

Thankyou all for your work on this,
i used to have my old account working on my bad nest, but have started again. I’ve migrated my to a google account.

which fork am i supposed to follow https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/badnest or https://github.com/vinodmishra/badnest

what are the differences?

Everyone great work on this. I have been trying to set this up for a day or two now but I can’t seem to get my Gen 3 nest thermostat to be recognized. Although weirdly enough my temperature sensor shows up and works fine. Did something with the thermostat API change or is there something else I need to do to my account. I’m using Google auth to signin

I have the same problem. My 3 Nest temperature sensors that are linked to the Nest Thermostat show up perfectly, but no sign of the Thermostat. Anyone have a solution for this?

I wonder if anyone can help. I’m trying to use the tasker home assistant plugin so I can change my best thermostat from tasker. I’ve got the server and service set up ok but it needs to have the code written in json which I’m not familiar with. Can anyone help me with some code to increase the temperature by 1 degree? So far I’ve got this:

{
  "data": {
    "entity_id": "climate.lounge_thermostat",
    "temperature": "%thermotemp + 1"
  }
}

But I get json error!

I’m pretty certain that thermostats are broken due to ongoing API upgrades. See my debugging/diagnosis in the Github issue: https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/badnest/issues/65#issuecomment-596129580

1 Like