I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

In the latest version, I couldn’t get camera.turn_on or camera.turn_off to work. Seem to have fixed this by making an edit to api.py not sure if you want to update your code or if there is something I overlooked?

I’ve created a pull request looks like it’s possibly just an oversight in the API call.

Seem to have lost my thermostat today. Cameras still seem fine…

Nevermind, it’s just come back!

I’ve got the error

badnest
badnest.climate
badnest.sensor
Check your configuration

and yes, seems that the token work for 1 month, then need to be regenerated.
I use the old way Nest account to login in home.nest.com
Log in to home.nest.com, F12 on chrome and filter for “session” to show your new token (in network tab).

Good Job USA-RedDragon, thank you

Thankyou all for your work on this,
i used to have my old account working on my bad nest, but have started again. I’ve migrated my to a google account.

which fork am i supposed to follow https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/badnest or https://github.com/vinodmishra/badnest

what are the differences?

Everyone great work on this. I have been trying to set this up for a day or two now but I can’t seem to get my Gen 3 nest thermostat to be recognized. Although weirdly enough my temperature sensor shows up and works fine. Did something with the thermostat API change or is there something else I need to do to my account. I’m using Google auth to signin

I have the same problem. My 3 Nest temperature sensors that are linked to the Nest Thermostat show up perfectly, but no sign of the Thermostat. Anyone have a solution for this?

I wonder if anyone can help. I’m trying to use the tasker home assistant plugin so I can change my best thermostat from tasker. I’ve got the server and service set up ok but it needs to have the code written in json which I’m not familiar with. Can anyone help me with some code to increase the temperature by 1 degree? So far I’ve got this:

{
  "data": {
    "entity_id": "climate.lounge_thermostat",
    "temperature": "%thermotemp + 1"
  }
}

But I get json error!

I’m pretty certain that thermostats are broken due to ongoing API upgrades. See my debugging/diagnosis in the Github issue: https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/badnest/issues/65#issuecomment-596129580

1 Like

No, it does work, set it up just now…

@zaneclaes - thanks for your efforts!

Nope, still the same overhere. Did you or somebody else found a solution for this ?

Hi, I’m noob to HA, installed it couple days ago:
Raspbian OS => Docker => Hassio

I’ve installed Badnest using detailed instructions:
HACS => Badnest (RedDragon fork)
Both appears in HA log

2020-03-14 12:28:18 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.
2020-03-14 12:28:18 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for badnest which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.

I’ve inserted code from instruction to configuration.yaml and tried 10+ different tokens&cookies (with 2FA, without 2FA, etc.). I see no errors and at the same time no signs of the Badnest integration anywhere. I’m still learning all terminology, but I thought that my Nest thermostat should appear in “Entities”? What am I missing?
Thank you in advance!

Just as a heads up to anyone else that runs into this issue, my badnest integration stopped working. After a restart of HASS, it notified me that the issue was my access token.

I went back through the setup of this integration and noticed I couldn’t find my cookie starting with “OCAK=…”.

I did however find my access cookie starting with “HSID=…”. This new cookie was much longer and had more fields and values included in it. Updating my cookie to this new value worked flawlessly for me and I have access to my thermostat again.

Don’t know if google updated their authentication today, or if it’s just an issue with me. Hope this helps someone else.

3 Likes

Ran into the same issue, and this helped, thank you. Back up and running now.

So I have migrated my Nest account to Google (I do not have 2FA enabled) - is that ok? Or do I need to enable 2FA.
I have followed the steps and added the issue token and cookie (My cookie ends in a “.” - is that ok?)

I bought the cameras from the US but I am in Australia - should I use AU or US?

I have tried all the combos I can think of - there are no errors in the logs if I leave the “.” at the end of the cookie and if I remove the “.” then I get “access_token” issue.

Either way after restarting, I am going to Config -> Entities I do not see any of my cameras.

Please help - I have tried all day and no luck.

wow what a super helpful thread! I was able to use the forked edition today and have my 3 nest cams updating via Picture Glance card. Whew! Before using the forked edition I saw no error in my log, but there was nothing discovered … now I see the 3 cameras.

what’s missing though are my door sensors, alarm (protect) and front door (Yale+ Nest). Any chance anyone has figured those out? So pumped to have Nest in HA!

1 Like

Hi! Could you please share what you call ‘forked’?

sure as noted above … I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

I did the Oauth config and was error free … uninstalled and then reinstalled this other version (config settings stayed in place) and then my sensors showed.

woke up and it’s busted. Images are not loading. :frowning: