Hi all. The crux of this issue is that I have an Ikea Tradfri On/Off Button that worked and now stopped. TLDR jump to the numbers below.
I am very new to Home Assistant and this is my first post. About 60 days ago I discovered HA when my Insteon hub stopped working. So I stood up a virtual server on an Unraid server, and since then I have spent a ton of time learning it. I still have a long way to go. But at the moment I have all my Insteon, a bunch of Wifi, and now Zigbee devices. In all of this though I kind of started from the top down. Because I installed HA and then boom, it discovered my original Insteon devices, I have kind of been in “Install->discover->build automations” mode, without having to worry about how to really fix issues.
So this week when I to added some Zigbee stuff to my setup, Some of it worked fine, some of it didn’t, and some of it worked at first and broke. Now I am really struggling a little to troubleshoot effectively and know the next steps, and I can’t seem to find what I am looking for. Here is what I have:
- I installed a Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Plus Gateway. HA recognized it right away and setup ZHA
- Paired an Aqara leak sensor and everything went great.
- Paired a motion sensor, plug, and On/Off switch I got at my local Ikea. The motion sensor and plug paired but I cannot read the battery information on the motion sensor. The switch paired but cannot read the battery and the switch doesn’t activate like a normal switch.
- Looked up information saying that OTA update can be performed now on IKEA products so I put this in the configuration.yaml and restarted. I am not sure to tell if the firmware is or has been updated though.
zha: zigpy_config: ota: ikea_provider: true # Auto update Trådfri devices
- Found a post saying I should update my Zigbee coordinator. Unfortunately, the only thing I can find is saying do it for Zigbee2MQTT, which I am not using. And everything I am finding says for Windows or Linux. I am on a Mac, which technically I could try the Linux upgrade. But I am not sure if I need to update.
- Installed this blueprint and was able to control a light with the switch for about 2 hours. I say for about 2 hours because it just magically stopped working. I changed the entity it controlled and still no luck. I put in a fresh battery thinking maybe the battery is dead (since I can’t read the status) but that did nothing. Factory reset it, and it still doesn’t work.
So I guess here are my questions:
- How the heck do I troubleshoot the devices more effectively. When I press the button, I do not see anything in the logbook, logs, or any type of state change. Yet, when it was working, I didn’t see that either. I have been reading the support documentation, but being fairly new I am not sure how to troubleshoot what these devices are sending out.
- Do I need to update the coordinator since I am using ZHA, and should I? I am not looking to use MQTT (which I really know nothing about yet, it may be the best method).
- For the OTA updates for the IKEA Zigbee products, how can I tell if they updated? And how do I force an update?
- I see some postings about IKEA products and battery level. All the IKEA stuff I bought will not register battery level. That is why I was trying the OTA update. Does anyone know what that is?
I think that’s a good place to start. Everyone in the community looks extremely helpful and I imagine I will have many more questions.