IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

How did you unpair the devices to begin with? They are all still showing in HA but I can’t control them.

I did not unpaired them I just paired them again and they started working.

But unfortunately the battery on my IKEA remote still lasts 48h max.
I have the latest tasmota (9.3.1.1) installed on the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge with the latest firmware ncp-uart-sw-6.7.8_115200 but still no luck.

I will keep searching for a solution, I really like these little IKEA buttons, its too bad they have this issue with HA.

Yeah, my sound controller is still dying very quickly too.

Hi, it is really strange this is happening with HA. When I connect the Ikea buttons to Smartthings the batteries are already alive for at least 7 or 8 weeks. But it would be great if I can get rid of Smartthings :slight_smile:
I am not really a programmer but may be it is possible to compare the HA code with the smartthings device handler?

They are.fine with deconz

To use deconz I guess I will need to change my coordinator :neutral_face:
But I might consider that if nothing else works.

It was more just to highlight that it isn’t something wrong with the device itself.
Something is constantly waking it up

Oddly, I’m having much better luck with Tasmota 9.3.1 (from 9.2 before) - pairing, staying connected, and - 2 days in so far - battery life.

Makes no sense, right? I’d expect actual zigbee behavior would only change with that firmware, and I’m unchanged on ncp-uart-sw-6.7.8_115200. So what else did I change?

Man I really want these Tradfri devices to work, love their design and price.
Thanks for all you folks helping move this forward!

It’s good to know there is hope :wink:
Lets us know if the battery keeps holding …

Yeah … hope is all it was. Made it another day, then both showed “device offline”, cause, well, the batteries are dead again. humph.
Tradfri motion sensor is doing OK so far, but it also does a forced 3 minutes deepsleep after motion detection.
I acquired some “Linkind” switches in the meantime, let’s see how they fare.

Yeah, mine all died again today. Very disappointing. I wish I knew how to debug this.

I read this advice further up in the thread, it might be useful if somebody else can test it as well:

If I add the switch through a (ikea) bulb, rather than directly to ZHA it seems the battery doesnt drain as much…? The battery update status can go days without updating (switch is not being used), so that might be the reason the battery works for longer - perhaps ZHA polls the switch more frequent for updates, draining the battery?

Just to debunk my above suggestion. Adding the switch through a bulb makes no difference it seems… Battery only lasted about a week…

Any news on fixing this problem?

Hi, I’m new to HA and the Ikea integration is one of the first i added, and now I’m changing batteries in 3 of the remotes every week. They used to last a year. Is there a tweak I can do to stop HA eating the batteries. (I use the Ikea GW and just started with HA to play around, but this is kind of frustrating.

So last week i replaced my stock batteries in my trafri 5button remote after i think 9 months because it was working unreliable AF.
I still get a battery level of 16% displayed in HA. But i ignore this.
My setup is a preflashed cc2531 from amazon with external antenna and ZHA, the remote is directly added to the cc2531 stick, currently not even 3 meters away from the coordinator. The only other device in the network is a tradfri outlet.

It looks like the fix is currently part of release 2021.4.0b5:

• Implement Ignore list for poll control configuration on Ikea devices (@Adminiuga - #48667)

Not sure if it made it to 2021.4 release, no mention of it in the release doc?

1 Like

Shold be in there, branch master has the changes:

1 Like

Cool, I’ll re-add my switch to HA, change battery then we’ll see what happens…

Time for me to give it another go too.

I will also give it a try, I placed a new battery and paired the switch again, let’s see how long it lasts…