IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

hmm, my brand new battery has dropped from 100% to 87% in less than 15 hours…

How do we check the fix has been deployed/taking effect?

Im running 2021.4.4.

It is deployed. Look at the link I posted above. Master is the actual branch, that is rolled out to users and it is in there. You can check the history for changes in that file here:

I’d wait a few days, my Tradfri remote always falls from 100% to 87%, but it stays there for weeks. See what comes up in a day or two. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It has had a change of heart:

Still on 100% nearly 2 days later…

I will continue to monitor, but Its looking promising. :slight_smile:

Mine just died in less than a day :frowning:

I am on Home Assistant 2021.4.4
My zigbee coordinator is a sonoff zigbee gateway running the latest Tasmota 9.3.1.1 with the latest firmware ncp-uart-sw-6.7.8_115200.ota

Is this similar to your setup?

@kafka : Im running Tasmota 9.3.1 on a Sonoff ZHA Bridge.

Any updates on the battery level?

Which firmware version are you on?

@jjross My level is still 100%, 1 week on. Prior to this fix my battery would most likely be dead by now.

Ikea Switch Firmware: 0x22010631

My switch also has that firmware version.
I seem to have the same setup as you, with same versions, but my switch died in less that 24h, it’s very strange.

Is your switch connected directly to the zigbee coordinator or do you have any routers?

@kafka My switch is connected directly to my Sonoff ZHA Bridge, no other routers on the network. You could try to remove the device, then add it again, Im sure thats what I did…

I think I removed it but I will give it another try.
Just waiting for new batteries to arrive…

as reported in the GitHub, had high hopes after the PR, but unfortunately not… batteries died just as quickly in 2,5 days from 100% to unresponsive (and metered completely depleted, which is unheard off infect, because most of the time the ‘almost’ empty batteries still have some juice left)

On Ikea hub directly in the Ikea integration. And without triggering motion, simply being there in a quite and dark corner of my study.

Must be a corrupt device. Waste-binned it after too many battery tests…

Just FYI had a similar experience with a door sensor - chewed thru three 3V batteries. battery_death

deCONZ detects it as “ds01 ewelink”, sold and re-branded as this one: Cygnett | Smart Door Sensor | Cygnett

Was working fine before switching to ConBee AFAIK. On 2021.4.4.

This is all very weird… Assuming the hardware is working correctly and the software up to date then surely we should all see a similar behaviour?

This is my graph over the last week+:

The buttons is hardly used, but I have randomly pressed it throughout this week to ensure it still works. :slight_smile:

As there are different Ikea switches available, for completeness, I’m using this: “TRADFRI on/off switch by IKEA of Sweden” (‘0’/‘1’ button which also allows for long presses (for dimming)).

1 Like

I have the exact same button, “TRADFRI on/off switch by IKEA of Sweden”
Indeed it’s weird why my batteries die so quickly and yours don’t since we seem to have the same setup.
I will try again when I receive new batteries.

Thanks for your help.

Used yesterday evening. Seems to be enOcean :joy:

New update:

My new batteries arrived; I am now on Homeassistant 2021.4.6
After removing the “TRADFRI on/off switch by IKEA of Sweden” from homeassistant I placed new batteries and pair it again.

I also bound it to the coordinator since I have a router nearby and the ikea button likes to connect to it (don’t know if this makes a difference or not)

It has been 4 days and the battery is now at 87% which is a new record for me :wink:
I hope it stays like this and the issue is fixed.

1 Like

Mine was great for days and days. Started at 60% and then went UP to 90%!

Then one day it just disappeared from my system. I assume the battery died but I’ve been too dejected to check. :weary:

Anyone have a good (cheap) Zigbee switch I can try instead?

My IKEA switch is changing between 87% and 100% battery, it has been like this for a week.

Besides this IKEA switch I have 3 Xiaomi Mijia Wireless Switch.
They work great and I have never changed the batteries, I bought them more than 1year ago.
They support multiple clicks and the built quality is reasonable and the price is not so bad either.

Issue not fixed for me - wasted two batteries one bound to the nearest router and one bound to the coordinator - both lasted about 2 days.

Not sure why this started happening- they worked fine before. Gonna try checking firmware versions and maybe order a different brand of batteries. Only other option is to switch to zigbee2mqtt or deconZ.

Oooh new firmware is here (under testing): Tasmota/tools/fw_SonoffZigbeeBridge_ezsp at development · arendst/Tasmota · GitHub

• ncp-uart-nsw_6.7.9_115200.ota - has some additional bug fixes and is under testing.